1969Re: Arguments truncated semi-randomly

    Mar 3, 2005
      Warren Young wrote:

      > - I set ASP's debug level to -1 and diffed the logs between the success
      > and failure cases. The only significant change is this one:
      >
      > Success: "read 2343 bytes, tried 2343 bytes"
      > Failure: "read 1387 bytes, tried 2354 bytes"
      >
      > That message is printed by ASP/Request.pm, line 232. This is plainly
      > the culprit: the read() call above this line isn't returning the entire
      > HTTP request in a single call.
      >
      > The main reason I'm posting to the list is because it isn't clear to me
      > what the cleanest way to fix this is. I could hack some loop on that
      > read() call, but I'd rather Josh chimed in on this one.

      I am not sure hacking a loop on this would help, but it would be
      interesting to know if it did. Here is the code:

      } else {
      $r->read($data, $length);
      $asp->{dbg} && $asp->Debug("read ".length($data)." bytes, tried $length bytes");
      }

      This is an Apache/mod_perl API, so not sure what is going on wrong here.
      Could Apache/mod_perl have a bug, might post to the mod_perl list
      with the problem. I wonder if there is character data in the input
      stream that is messing things up.

      Here is the docs for this API:

      $r->read($buf, $bytes_to_read, [$offset])
      This method is used to read data from the client, looping until it
      gets all of $bytes_to_read or a timeout happens.

      An offset may be specified to place the read data at some other
      place than the beginning of the string.

      In addition, this method sets a timeout before reading with
      "$r->soft_timeout".

      So maybe a timeout is happening here on the Apache side?