1672RE: .NET-style components and development

  • John Drago
    Apr 9 6:52 AM
      Hi Josh,

      In a nutshell, I want to be able to define a reusable component (*.ascx)
      and associate the display-layer of that component (*.ascx) with a
      package (*.pm) that defines its function separately. This way I could
      have a "Button" component that is used in 10 different places, and they
      all do different things. This also allows for component inheritance
      (BlueButton extends Button).

      The second feature is to have the ability to reference instances of
      these components from within the perl code, at runtime, and access
      methods defined in their package (*.pm).

      For instance:

      [asp code]
      <asp:label id="label1" runat="server" />
      <%
      $label1->{text} = "This would be nice!";
      %>

      [ Which outputs ]

      In the case of things like listboxes, they could expose their "items" as
      a public array, or follow the asp.net way of using a public method to
      adjust the items within an instance of the component.

      [in package System::Web::UI::ListBox ]

      use base qw/ System::Web::UI::Component /;
      sub addItem
      {
      my ($s,$item) = @_;
      push @{$s->{items}}, $item;
      }# end addItem()

      # This method overrides the same in System::Web::UI::Component:
      sub renderComponent
      {
      my $s = shift;
      my $str = q{<select name="$s->{id}" >\n};
      $str .= "\t<option value="$_->{value}">$_->{text}</option>\n"
      foreach @{$s->{items}};
      $str .= q{</select>};
      return $str;
      }# end renderComponent()

      Let me know if this is more clear.

      Thanks!
      John Drago

      http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpref/h
      | > tml/frlrfSystemWebUI.asp?frame=true is the msdn section dealing with
      the
      | > System.Web.UI namespace.
      | >
      | > My guess is that 80% of what's there is unnecessary to get the
      desired
      | > functionality. By chance or fate, 80% of what's there has no place
      in a
      | > perl implementation of similar functionality, because of the tools
      | > already available within perl.
      |
      | Sorry I have not gotten back to you on this yet. I wanted to give the
      | Net stuff a good read first before I started an informed discussion
      | with you about this, which I still have not done :( . I would like to
      | extend the Apache::ASP framework to be able to handle extensions that
      | can fully replicate the .NET taglibs, and I understand that the
      XMLSubs
      | falls well short of that. I am not sure about other aspects of the
      | newer objects architecture, but there may be a place for those also.
      |
      | To help focus the discussion, it may be useful to know exactly what
      | feature(s) would be useful for you to begin work on as a shorter term
      | goal.
      | It seemed like the dynamic list boxes was a place you wanted to start
      | at, but more input here would be good.
      |
      | Regards,
      |
      | Josh
      |

      | > -------------------------------------------------------------------
      | > I figure we would need to emulate the functionality of:
      System.Web.UI
      | > (as a base class, and defining certain constants).
      | >
      | > o System.Web.UI.Control (base class, inherited by all default and
      | > custom controls).

      http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpref/h
      | > tml/frlrfSystemWebUIControlClassTopic.asp?frame=true
      | >
      | > o System.Web.UI.ControlCollection (this functionality could be
      rolled
      | > into System.Web.UI.Control).

      http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpref/h
      | > tml/frlrfSystemWebUIControlCollectionClassTopic.asp?frame=true
      | >
      | > o System.Web.UI.IPostBackDataHandler & IPostBackEventHandler
      | > (inheritable interface that allows controls to handle how their
      postback
      | > data is handled).

      http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpref/h
      | > tml/frlrfSystemWebUIIPostBackDataHandlerClassTopic.asp?frame=true
      | >
      | > o System.Web.UI.Page (represents an .aspx file, and is used as a
      base
      | > class when creating a web forms class in codebehind mode).

      http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpref/h
      | > tml/frlrfSystemWebUIPageClassTopic.asp?frame=true
      | >
      | > o System.Web.UI.PageParser (parses .aspx files).

      http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpref/h
      | > tml/frlrfSystemWebUIPageParserClassTopic.asp?frame=true
      | >
      | > o System.Web.UI.TemplateBuilder (supports the PageParser in
      building a
      | > template and the child controls it contains).

      http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpref/h
      | > tml/frlrfSystemWebUITemplateBuilderClassTopic.asp?frame=true
      | >
      | > o System.Web.UI.TemplateControl (inheritable base class. Provides
      the
      | > Page class and UserControl class a base set of functionality).

      http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpref/h
      | > tml/frlrfSystemWebUITemplateControlClassTopic.asp?frame=true
      | >
      | > o System.Web.UI.UserControl (represents an .ascx file which
      implements
      | > and/or extends the TemplateControl class to produce some
      functionality
      | > or html).

      http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpref/h
      | > tml/frlrfSystemWebUIUserControlClassTopic.asp?frame=true
      | >
      | > o System.Web.UI.UserControlControlBuilder (Does a recursive descent
      | > into the sub-controls contained within a UserControl, building them
      as
      | > it goes, so that UserControls can contain other controls inside
      them).

      http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpref/h

      tml/frlrfSystemWebUIUserControlControlBuilderClassTopic.asp?frame=true

      | > -------------------------------------------------------------------
      | >
      | > Let me make myself clear. I do not want to duplicate the entire
      ASP.NET
      | > thing in perl. I merely wish to skim the good stuff off the top and
      | > move along. In fact, there's more I dislike about ASP.NET than
      there is
      | > I *do* like about it. However, I recognize some things there that
      could
      | > save me loads of time on a large-scale project.
      | >
      | > Mason has some similar functionality with its *.mas components
      | > http://www.masonbook.com/book/chapter-1.mhtml#TOC-ANCHOR-3 but lacks
      the
      | > PostBack way of dealing with round-trip forms (as with server-side
      form
      | > validation). It also lacks the built-in ability to do things like
      | > append listitems to a <select> tag.
      | >
      | > _______________________________________________________________
      | >
      | > John Drago | Chief Architect of Software Development
      | > E-com Media Group, Inc. [www.e-commedia.com]
      | > office
      | > ::
      | > 303.790.7940 x25
      | > email
      | > ::
      | > jdrago@...
      | >

      | > E - b u s i n e s s w i t h D i m e n s i o n TM

      | > |
      | > | If you set up a $List object in global.asa, it will be seen in
      | > | includes and scripts, but not in the scope of the XMLSubs
      packages.
      | > | So you might create it in the main package to reference from like
      | > | this:
      | > |
      | > | # global.asa
      | > | use vars qw($List);
      | > | sub Script_OnStart {
      | > | $List = $main::List = List->new();
      | > | }
      | > | sub Script_OnEnd {
      | > | $List->can('DESTROY') && $List->DESTROY;
      | > | $List = $main::List = undef;
      | > | }
      | > |
      | > | Then in the script, you can:
      | > |
      | > | <%
      | > | $List->->add('list1',
      | > | ListItem->new( Value => "1", Text => "Blue" )
      | > | );
      | > | %>
      | > |
      | > | And then you can:
      | > |
      | > | <asp:listbox id="list1">
      | > | <asp:listitem>Select One</asp:listitem>
      | > | </asp:listbox>
      | > |
      | > | And have XMLSubs defined to handle asp:listbox & asp:listitem
      | > | properly, looking at the $main::List object.
      | > |
      | > | If you really want to build objects through code though, you might
      | > | check out CGI.pm, which has plenty of methods for doing exactly
      this.

      | > | Output from a CGI.pm object should be compatible with Apache::ASP.
      | > |
      | > |
      | > | What is the extension in particular that you are looking for? Is
      there

      | > | something particular about <asp:listbox /> handling that you like
      in
      | > | ASP.NET that you want implemented as is? Particularly what
      features
      | > | of ASP.NET do you think should make it into Apache::ASP ?
      | > |
      | > | Regards,
      | > |
      | > | Josh
      | > |
      | > |

      | > | Josh Chamas, Founder | NodeWorks - http://www.nodeworks.com
      | > | Chamas Enterprises Inc. | NodeWorks Directory -
      | > http://dir.nodeworks.com
      | > | http://www.chamas.com | Apache::ASP - http://www.apache-asp.org
      | > |
      | > |