1664Re: Primer for Learning Apache::ASP?

    Mar 23, 2004
      Craig Dayton wrote:
      > Hi All,
      >
      > Hey, I'm new to Apache, Mod_Perl and Apache::ASP, but not to Perl.
      >
      > The version for the current Apache install is:
      > Apache/2.0.48 (Win32) mod_perl/1.99_13 Perl/v5.8.0
      >
      > Apache::ASP 2.47 is installed and working.
      >
      > I'm finding myself thrashing around a lot of documentation sources (i.e.
      > Practical Mod_Perl and the online stuff) and was wondering if there is any
      > basic primer documentation on Apache::ASP out there that might help me get
      > off the ground?

      The Apache::ASP web site is basically the perldoc for the module rendered
      in web format, and if you want a overview, I would check out the
      article series I did on it at:

      http://www.apache-asp.org/resources.html

      To get started with an installation, I would check out the INSTALL section.

      > In running the bookmarks application provided with the Apache::ASP install,
      > I getting the error:
      >
      > errors compiling global.asa: Can't locate object method "dir_config" via
      > package "Apache" at E:/Apache/Apache2/htdocs/asp/bookmarks//./global.asa
      > line 15. eval 'E) || die("can\'t create table $DBI::errstr"); ; }
      > $Db->do("select * from bookmarks") || die("can\'t do select against
      > bookmarks: $DBI::errstr");

      I am not sure that Apache::ASP 2.47 would be working with mod_perl 2. Try
      upgrading to the latest release, 2.57. If you have perl installed already,
      then you can do this type of install:

      http://www.apache-asp.org/install.html#Regular%20Perlc8e4234f

      but you will need nmake for your system first to do that. If you
      can get the CPAN install method working, then all the better.