144Re: Installing from scratch Apache + mod_perl + Apache::ASP (+maybe others) on unix

  • timj_moore
    Feb 12 5:13 AM
      Not sure what happened to my reply I posted, and I can't be bothered
      to type it all in again, but in short I got it working after a *lot*
      of hassle.

      I did write exactly how I got it installed, but I can't remember it
      all now. Anyway, what I do know is it involved a lot more steps than
      in the instructions (including those at apache-asp.org which I had
      been trying from the start).

      In particular I had to get the perl shell to download a lot of extra
      stuff (especially LWP), and manually install some stuff that the
      shell wouldn't do itself (EXPAT which was required for mod_perl I
      think). I think I even had to do an 'install Apache' because mod_perl
      or something was looking for Apache entries in some perl
      folder/database/whatever. Didn't want to do that because it just goes
      and installs mod_perl and builds Apache without any chance of me
      configuring it how I want. Anyway, I then built mod_perl & Apache by
      hand.

      What I can recommend though is getting the source for apache &
      mod_perl, and building mod_perl with the PREP_HTTPD=1 option which
      prevents mod_perl from building apache but builds mod_perl. This
      means you can go and build apache how you like and not how mod_perl
      likes (I find that really annoying that mod_perl by default assumes
      you'll just build apache to only ever use mod_perl! In fact I don't
      like mod_perl trying to build apache for you).

      In the end I built mod_perl first, then built apache with all the
      addons I needed (inc. frontpage extensions on Sun, although that's
      another huge hassle, but I can say the fp patch for 1.3.22 works on
      apache 1.3.23 also). Finally I did the perl shell stuff but it
      required a lot of repeated attempts to install each component,
      sometimes having to drop out and manually build things, a few 'force
      install's.

      *not* easy.

      Oh, and licencing isn't an issue now because we're not shipping the
      stuff, just requiring customers to go through all the hassle of
      installing it and we'll just ship our web app instead ;-).

      http://www.modperlcookbook.org/ ),