1379Re: Newbie alert, why this does not work

  • Skylos the Doggie
    Oct 1, 2003
      On Wed, 1 Oct 2003, brentatkerson wrote:

      > Okay, I seem to have missed the boat, I still cannot figure this out,
      > think I still have syntax wrong. I have been to the link you provided
      > and still cannot get rid of that long number. Could you provide another
      > hint to at least get me over the edge?

      try 'scalar localtime time'. localtime outputs a 'human readable' type
      string when you call it in scalar context, which the scalar function
      forces.

      You really need to learn perl.

      Skylos

      > --- In apache-asp@yahoogroups.com, "Fagyal, Csongor" <concept@c...>
      > wrote:
      > > brentatkerson wrote:
      > >
      > > >Okay, this is the result Hello World164691910332731 .
      > > >
      > > Oh... well :-)
      > >
      > > > Making
      > > >progress, but how/where would a newbie go to find the localtime
      > time
      > > >thing? I think that is what I need most is a comprehensive list
      > of
      > > >objects and events so I know what I have to choose from.
      > > >

      > > Apache::ASP "uses" the built-in perl functions, plus extends them
      > with
      > > some objects/events/etc. The later group is discussed at the
      > > www.apache-asp.org page, while docs on the former you should find
      > at
      > > www.perldoc.com. I'd recommend reading
      > > http://www.perldoc.com/perl5.8.0/pod/perlfunc.html
      > >
      > > Here you will also find localtime and time (and will probably
      > understand
      > > why you got that big number :-)).
      > >
      > > Regards,
      > > - Cs.

      - skylos@...
      - The best part about the internet is nobody knows you're a dog.
      (Peter Stiener, The New Yorker, July 5, 1993)
      - Dogs like... TRUCKS! (Nissan commercial, 1996)
      - PGP key: http://dogpawz.com/skylos/mykey.asc