130Re: Installing from scratch Apache + mod_perl + Apache::ASP (+maybe others) on unix

    Feb 8, 2002
      timj_moore wrote:

      > Okay, I'm having a nightmare trying to install all this on both
      > Solaris and AIX. I'm finding the different installation methods for
      > each very confusing (and not only that but documentation and posts on
      > newsgroups all seem to vary in install methods).

      There is the mod_perl guide, there is Apache Toolbox, there is the
      recently released mod_perl cookbook ( http://www.modperlcookbook.org/ ),
      and there is even the script that I include in the distribution at
      make_httpd/build_httpds.sh that shows a sample build of it all, but
      at the end of the day, building mod_perl can be hard. I get that.
      My first build back in 1998 was no joy. And every build since has
      only gotten a little better.

      I would love to be able to provide prebuilt installations with
      perl/apache/mod_perl/Apache::ASP but I don't have the time.
      Should anyone else put together such a package, like Randy did
      for Win32 systems, I would welcome the links, and I can post them
      as part of the docs.

      > Kick off the 'perl -MCPAN -e shell' command, do 'install
      > Bundle::Apache::ASP' and all hell breaks loose. It seems to go off
      > installing loads of other packages some of which have errors in. I
      > don't know what they are because they all scroll off the screen and I
      > just can't get anywhere with it. I don't know much about the perl
      > shell thing and I don't have time to learn it if it's going to take
      > weeks to understand.

      For someone new to perl, CPAN may seem a bit bizarre. It is. And
      the bundles add to the confusion for sure. Because of this, I recently
      added a section to the install docs at

      http://www.apache-asp.org/install.html#Download%20ande85d4394

      that says:

      If you have trouble installing the bundle,
      then try installing the necessary modules one at a time:

      cpan> install Data::Dumper
      cpan> install MLDBM
      cpan> install MLDBM::Sync
      cpan> install Digest::MD5
      cpan> install Apache::ASP

      If you ever start to do heavy perl development, you will start to
      appreciate CPAN for sure, with its near 10,000 modules, it is a
      pandora's box of code reusability.

      > I'm a little concerned about using the perl shell thing as this would
      > have to be installed on customer sites. I really need a simple
      > installer that can be packaged up with anything we ship to customers.

      If you want to create an installer with Apache::ASP on one platform,
      I would build everything needed mod_perl, perl, apache & all the
      perl libs as one package, and installed in something like
      /usr/local/your-companies-product ... I am no experts at creating
      installers, but I would not rely on a locally built apache & perl,
      but would ship my own that I could verify working.

      > Talking of which, how does the licencing stand for shipping
      > Apache::ASP as part of any product we make?

      Apache::ASP is licensed GPL, see the LICENSE file for more detail.
      My current interpretation of the GPL is as follows:

      Apache::ASP is "free" open source software.
      You cannot sell Apache::ASP, or any extensions you might
      make to the core libraries. Extensions made to the core libraries
      also become GPL when they are released, and also cannot be sold.

      You can however sell a web product, or set of scripts & modules
      that are unique to your product that Apache::ASP interprets &
      executes. The GPL does not apply to your work product that simply
      uses Apache::ASP to run & interpret it. You are not compiling
      code that statically links Apache::ASP, if you were that would
      change things.

      You can also distribute Apache::ASP freely in a distribution
      that you sell as long as you are selling other things besides
      Apache::ASP, like support, or your web product. If you wanted
      to sell Apache::ASP & extensions that you make to it, or wanted
      to release your product in such a way that Apache::ASP was
      not open source, then we could work on some alternative licensing
      for your company that was other than GPL.

      Good luck!