Re: M33 RGB - AP155EDF w Apogee U16M

  • Greg
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 1, 2011
      Yes that looks much better. There is a slight gradient in green.

      Try Rogelio Andrea's HLVG frr plug in. It gets rid of this type of green very effectively and its a free plugin for Photoshop.

      Greg.

      --- In ap-ug@yahoogroups.com, "observe_m13" <JunkMailGoesHere@...> wrote:

      > Looking much better! Blue is down and the artifacts are gone. Better drop off into the dark 'grey' background. Unfortunately it looks like there is a gradient from the top to the bottom of the image in green though but maybe that is my screen?
      >
      > --- In ap-ug@yahoogroups.com, "Stuart" <stuart.j.heggie@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Greg, great advice! I did let the background get too dark. I agree and normally aim for the effect you've outlined.
      > >
      > > I did adjust the left side of the histogram up so that the background was brighter. Just now. No need to go back and check it unless you have time of course.
      > >
      > > An earlier version was definitely too blue. I think the current version is better balanced though.
      > >
      > > Thanks to all for the insights and critiques. We don't improve without candid feedback.
      > >
      > > Stuart
      > >
      > > --- In ap-ug@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <bradgregley10@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > A beautifully sharp image, classic AP155.
      > > >
      > > > The night sky is not actually black. Its more of a dark grey.
      > > > Always leave some space on the left hand side of your histogram for this and other faint dim darker objects like dust etc.
      > > >
      > > > How much you leave is a point of judgement but too dark and it causes too stark a contrast. Too much and you are leaving too much noise in the image.
      > > >
      > > > Different people in the audience of your images have different tolerances to noise. Some don't mind a bit, some really don't like it.
      > > >
      > > > There are techniques to flatten the background very nicely without clipping the fainter dim darker areas. Also ways of reducing background noise without affecting brighter areas which you typically want to keep sharp and do not have noise. Gradient Xterminator is hard to beat for auto type processing of gradients. Carboni Photoshop actions work very well and are extremely handy (reduce deep space noise action).
      > > >
      > > > Adam Block's DVD tutorials are as good as anything out there that I have seen. So are Tony Hallas's (his are a bit more to the point and briefer).
      > > >
      > > > Greg.

    • Stuart
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 1, 2011
        Guys, thanks for the support! I will look into this gradient issue and find Rogelio's toolkit. I am sure I have them on my computer.