AP160 gets a cleaning

  • snightingale40
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 6, 2009
      Hi Folks,

      After three years I finally decided to have at it. My lens was getting pretty grimy, plus I had a major dew event when my dew heater pooped out without me knowing about it!

      I truly appreciate Roland's advice for us not to get carried away cleaning objectives. One event made it clear to me why Roland would advise us to leave things well enough alone; I have an acquaintance who is quite wealthy, and owns an 8mm Nikon wide angle camera lens with a field of view over 180 degrees. Evidently only a few were made and the front lens is the size of a dinner plate. As he was showing it to me he noticed some dust, grabbed a corner of his shirt, and began rubbing away!

      Anyhow, here's how it went. Waited for the wife and kids to go off to school, did a gentle "blush-brush" dusting/w ear syringe blowing. Next, white Kleenex/filtered windex, gentle dabbing. At this point the lens looks like a clean, but psychedelic mess. Brought me back to the 60's!

      Next, Kleenex dampened with methanol. Beautiful, swirl marks almost completely eliminated! A final Kleenex wiping, barely dampened with acetone. Very nice!

      OK, now I'm looking at the silvery spots. Maybe I'll try to eliminate ONE, just to see how the spit/fingertip works. Well, I must have really good spit, because it came off with almost no rubbing. I found it IMPORTANT to follow Roland's advice to get that spit off FAST; I had a methanol tissue ready in my left hand to QUICKLY wipe the saliva spot. Did a few more, then quit.

      I've examined the lens critically using red LED lights, etc. and the glass now looks pristine. I wanted to post this experience to let you know that IF you do decide to do this, my experience is to take your time, use one kleenex/swipe, and a gentle touch. I put a note in the case indicating when it had been cleaned, so I leave it alone for at least another three years. Perhaps at NEAF I can rent some space to spit on your lens (for a reasonable fee).

      Steve
    • chris1011@aol.com
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 6, 2009
        In a message dated 3/6/2009 9:57:44 AM Central Standard Time,
        snightingale40@... writes:

        > Anyhow, here's how it went. Waited for the wife and kids to go off to
        > school, did a gentle "blush-brush" dusting/w ear syringe blowing. Next, white
        > Kleenex/filtered windex, gentle dabbing. At this point the lens looks like a
        > clean, but psychedelic mess. Brought me back to the 60's!
        >
        > Next, Kleenex dampened with methanol. Beautiful, swirl marks almost
        > completely eliminated! A final Kleenex wiping, barely dampened with acetone. Very
        > nice!
        >
        > OK, now I'm looking at the silvery spots. Maybe I'll try to eliminate ONE,
        > just to see how the spit/fingertip works. Well, I must have really good spit,
        > because it came off with almost no rubbing. I found it IMPORTANT to follow
        > Roland's advice to get that spit off FAST; I had a methanol tissue ready in my
        > left hand to QUICKLY wipe the saliva spot. Did a few more, then quit.
        >
        > I've examined the lens critically using red LED lights, etc. and the glass
        > now looks pristine. I wanted to post this experience to let you know that IF
        > you do decide to do this, my experience is to take your time, use one
        > kleenex/swipe, and a gentle touch. I put a note in the case indicating when it had
        > been cleaned, so I leave it alone for at least another three years. Perhaps at
        > NEAF I can rent some space to spit on your lens (for a reasonable fee).

        You did it right, YES!

        Rolando

      • snightingale40
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 6, 2009
          Hi Again,

          Was cleaning up my workspace and noticed I had used denatured alcohol, not pure methanol. It seemed to work beautifully though.

          The acetone was a very high laboratory grade, which I happened to have because the high school I worked in had to get rid of it.

          Any experiences with "hardware store" methanol/acetone? Should they be avoided?

          Steve

          --- In ap-ug@yahoogroups.com, chris1011@... wrote:

          > In a message dated 3/6/2009 9:57:44 AM Central Standard Time,
          > snightingale40@... writes:
          >

          > > Anyhow, here's how it went. Waited for the wife and kids to go off to
          > > school, did a gentle "blush-brush" dusting/w ear syringe blowing. Next, white
          > > Kleenex/filtered windex, gentle dabbing. At this point the lens looks like a
          > > clean, but psychedelic mess. Brought me back to the 60's!
          > >
          > > Next, Kleenex dampened with methanol. Beautiful, swirl marks almost
          > > completely eliminated! A final Kleenex wiping, barely dampened with acetone. Very
          > > nice!
          > >
          > > OK, now I'm looking at the silvery spots. Maybe I'll try to eliminate ONE,
          > > just to see how the spit/fingertip works. Well, I must have really good spit,
          > > because it came off with almost no rubbing. I found it IMPORTANT to follow
          > > Roland's advice to get that spit off FAST; I had a methanol tissue ready in my
          > > left hand to QUICKLY wipe the saliva spot. Did a few more, then quit.
          > >
          > > I've examined the lens critically using red LED lights, etc. and the glass
          > > now looks pristine. I wanted to post this experience to let you know that IF
          > > you do decide to do this, my experience is to take your time, use one
          > > kleenex/swipe, and a gentle touch. I put a note in the case indicating when it had
          > > been cleaned, so I leave it alone for at least another three years. Perhaps at
          > > NEAF I can rent some space to spit on your lens (for a reasonable fee).
          >
          > You did it right, YES!
          >
          > Rolando

        • MARTIN WILLES
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 6, 2009
            I'm sure someone will chime in with a different experience but I've used hardware grade acetone as a final touch up with excellent results. Martin

            To: ap-ug@yahoogroups.com
            From: snightingale40@...
            Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 16:54:20 +0000
            Subject: [ap-ug] Re: AP160 gets a cleaning/ and a question

          • chris1011@aol.com
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 6, 2009
              In a message dated 3/6/2009 10:54:50 AM Central Standard Time,
              snightingale40@... writes:

              > Any experiences with "hardware store" methanol/acetone? Should they be
              > avoided?

              No problem. They will work fine. No need for reagent grade acetone.

              Rolando

            • albireo13
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 6, 2009
                Is this before, or after, you downed a pint of Guiness ??

                Rob
                : )

                --- In ap-ug@yahoogroups.com, "snightingale40" <snightingale40@...> wrote:

                > Hi Folks,
                >
                > After three years I finally decided to have at it. My lens was getting pretty grimy, plus I had a major dew event when my dew heater pooped out without me knowing about it!
                >
                > I truly appreciate Roland's advice for us not to get carried away cleaning objectives. One event made it clear to me why Roland would advise us to leave things well enough alone; I have an acquaintance who is quite wealthy, and owns an 8mm Nikon wide angle camera lens with a field of view over 180 degrees. Evidently only a few were made and the front lens is the size of a dinner plate. As he was showing it to me he noticed some dust, grabbed a corner of his shirt, and began rubbing away!
                >
                > Anyhow, here's how it went. Waited for the wife and kids to go off to school, did a gentle "blush-brush" dusting/w ear syringe blowing. Next, white Kleenex/filtered windex, gentle dabbing. At this point the lens looks like a clean, but psychedelic mess. Brought me back to the 60's!
                >
                > Next, Kleenex dampened with methanol. Beautiful, swirl marks almost completely eliminated! A final Kleenex wiping, barely dampened with acetone. Very nice!
                >
                > OK, now I'm looking at the silvery spots. Maybe I'll try to eliminate ONE, just to see how the spit/fingertip works. Well, I must have really good spit, because it came off with almost no rubbing. I found it IMPORTANT to follow Roland's advice to get that spit off FAST; I had a methanol tissue ready in my left hand to QUICKLY wipe the saliva spot. Did a few more, then quit.
                >
                > I've examined the lens critically using red LED lights, etc. and the glass now looks pristine. I wanted to post this experience to let you know that IF you do decide to do this, my experience is to take your time, use one kleenex/swipe, and a gentle touch. I put a note in the case indicating when it had been cleaned, so I leave it alone for at least another three years. Perhaps at NEAF I can rent some space to spit on your lens (for a reasonable fee).
                >
                > Steve

              • albireo13
                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 6, 2009
                  Where do you get alcohol pure enough for good cleaning? Most of the stuff I find in stores has significant amount of H2O added.

                  Also, any special kind of tissue? Is plain, un-lotioned, Kleenex good enough?

                  I have a corrector plate on a Mak-Cass which I wish to clean. It is loaded with a lot of dew spots and other stains.

                  Thanks,
                  Rob

                • chris1011@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 6, 2009
                    In a message dated 3/6/2009 3:39:46 PM Central Standard Time,
                    albireo13@... writes:

                    > Where do you get alcohol pure enough for good cleaning? Most of the stuff
                    > I find in stores has significant amount of H2O added.
                    >
                    > Also, any special kind of tissue? Is plain, un-lotioned, Kleenex good
                    > enough?

                    An open bottle of alcohol will naturally draw water from the air. Water in
                    the alcohol will not harm the cleaning process. In fact, a lot of optical
                    cleaning solutions add water to the alcohol.

                    Rolando

                  • Christopher Vedeler L.Ac.
                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 6, 2009
                      I planted the palm of my hand right on the glass of my AP160 about two
                      years ago. I did this in the dark while trying to be real clever and
                      gingerly with retracting the dew shield. Bad move. The next day I
                      could clearly see the greasy mark left behind. At this point my scope
                      was only a few months old and I felt almost like I had tainted it for
                      life. I've been in this hobby long enough to know not to over clean any
                      optics but I couldn't bring myself to not trying to make this right
                      somehow.

                      I cleaned it with some lens cleaning solution (mostly alcohol),
                      distilled water and pure cotton makeup wipes. I was able to get it a
                      lot better, but to this day I still have some streaks and spots I wish
                      weren't there. Your story may have inspired me to take it on again to
                      see if I can get her back to 100% again. I've been nervous about doing
                      it and even considered sending the scope back to AP for a professional
                      cleaning.

                      On the other hand it doesn't seem to affect performance much at all so I
                      wonder if I should just wait....

                      Hmmmm.

                      Chris Vedeler

                    • MARTIN WILLES
                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 6, 2009
                        Roland has a pretty nice cleaning kit available for less than $50 on his website.

                        To: ap-ug@yahoogroups.com
                        From: albireo13@...
                        Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 21:39:12 +0000

                        Where do you get alcohol pure enough for good cleaning? Most of the stuff I find in stores has significant amount of H2O added.

                        Also, any special kind of tissue? Is plain, un-lotioned, Kleenex good enough?

                        I have a corrector plate on a Mak-Cass which I wish to clean. It is loaded with a lot of dew spots and other stains.

                        Thanks,
                        Rob

                        --- In ap-ug@yahoogroups.com, chris1011@... wrote:

                        > In a message dated 3/6/2009 10:54:50 AM Central Standard Time,
                        > snightingale40@... writes:
                        >

                        > > Any experiences with "hardware store" methanol/acetone? Should they be
                        > > avoided?
                        > >

                        > No problem. They will work fine. No need for reagent grade acetone.
                        >
                        > Rolando

                      • snightingale40
                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 6, 2009
                          Chris,

                          I can't tell you what to do, but the denatured alcohol alone almost totally removed my swirl marks. My advice would be to do a very careful camels hair brushing toward the bottom of the lens (telescope horizontal)(I used a "blush brush" from the drugstore) and a good "puffing" from the ear syringe (also from the drugstore). As Roland and others have said, get some plain white Kleenex (from the same drugstore!), dampen in denatured alcohol or methanol (from the hardware store next to the drugstore). I dampened the tissue by dipping in alcohol, and blotted excess on another tissue before applying to the lens. Gently draw the tissue across the lens and see if things improve.

                          The denatured alcohol got me 99% of the way there; the tissue dampened in acetone finished it up. Then I did the silver spots, followed by an alcohol/acetone touch up.

                          Please let me know how it goes, and please pm if you have any questions. I do NOT want to encourage anyone to do anything they are not comfortable with.

                          Steve

                          --- In ap-ug@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher Vedeler L.Ac." <vedeler@...> wrote:

                          > I planted the palm of my hand right on the glass of my AP160 about two
                          > years ago. I did this in the dark while trying to be real clever and
                          > gingerly with retracting the dew shield. Bad move. The next day I
                          > could clearly see the greasy mark left behind. At this point my scope
                          > was only a few months old and I felt almost like I had tainted it for
                          > life. I've been in this hobby long enough to know not to over clean any
                          > optics but I couldn't bring myself to not trying to make this right
                          > somehow.
                          >
                          > I cleaned it with some lens cleaning solution (mostly alcohol),
                          > distilled water and pure cotton makeup wipes. I was able to get it a
                          > lot better, but to this day I still have some streaks and spots I wish
                          > weren't there. Your story may have inspired me to take it on again to
                          > see if I can get her back to 100% again. I've been nervous about doing
                          > it and even considered sending the scope back to AP for a professional
                          > cleaning.
                          >
                          > On the other hand it doesn't seem to affect performance much at all so I
                          > wonder if I should just wait....
                          >
                          > Hmmmm.
                          >
                          > Chris Vedeler

                        • Mike Sidonio
                          Message 12 of 19 , Mar 10, 2009
                            Well done Steve, cleaning our babies is something worth sharing :-)

                            http://www.pbase.com/strongmanmike2002/6_inch_baby

                            Mike

                          • chris1011@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 19 , Mar 10, 2009
                              In a message dated 3/10/2009 8:22:46 AM Central Daylight Time,
                              m.sidonio@... writes:

                              > Well done Steve, cleaning our babies is something worth sharing :-)
                              >
                              > http://www.pbase.com/strongmanmike2002/6_inch_baby

                              Nice job!

                              Rolando

                            • maxmsm
                              Message 14 of 19 , Mar 10, 2009
                                Wow,
                                denatured alcohol?

                                Be carefull not all denatured ETOH are the same.
                                They can contain various organics. If it denatured with methonal it should be fine.

                                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denatured_alcohol

                                Max Mirot

                                --- In ap-ug@yahoogroups.com, "snightingale40" <snightingale40@...> wrote:

                                > Chris,
                                >
                                > I can't tell you what to do, but the alone almost totally removed my swirl marks. My advice would be to do a very careful camels hair brushing toward the bottom of the lens (telescope horizontal)(I used a "blush brush" from the drugstore) and a good "puffing" from the ear syringe (also from the drugstore). As Roland and others have said, get some plain white Kleenex (from the same drugstore!), dampen in denatured alcohol or methanol (from the hardware store next to the drugstore). I dampened the tissue by dipping in alcohol, and blotted excess on another tissue before applying to the lens. Gently draw the tissue across the lens and see if things improve.
                                >
                                > The denatured alcohol got me 99% of the way there; the tissue dampened in acetone finished it up. Then I did the silver spots, followed by an alcohol/acetone touch up.
                                >
                                > Please let me know how it goes, and please pm if you have any questions. I do NOT want to encourage anyone to do anything they are not comfortable with.
                                >
                                > Steve
                                >
                                > --- In ap-ug@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher Vedeler L.Ac." <vedeler@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > I planted the palm of my hand right on the glass of my AP160 about two
                                > > years ago. I did this in the dark while trying to be real clever and
                                > > gingerly with retracting the dew shield. Bad move. The next day I
                                > > could clearly see the greasy mark left behind. At this point my scope
                                > > was only a few months old and I felt almost like I had tainted it for
                                > > life. I've been in this hobby long enough to know not to over clean any
                                > > optics but I couldn't bring myself to not trying to make this right
                                > > somehow.
                                > >
                                > > I cleaned it with some lens cleaning solution (mostly alcohol),
                                > > distilled water and pure cotton makeup wipes. I was able to get it a
                                > > lot better, but to this day I still have some streaks and spots I wish
                                > > weren't there. Your story may have inspired me to take it on again to
                                > > see if I can get her back to 100% again. I've been nervous about doing
                                > > it and even considered sending the scope back to AP for a professional
                                > > cleaning.
                                > >
                                > > On the other hand it doesn't seem to affect performance much at all so I
                                > > wonder if I should just wait....
                                > >
                                > > Hmmmm.
                                > >
                                > > Chris Vedeler

                              • snightingale40
                                Message 15 of 19 , Mar 10, 2009
                                  Hi Max,

                                  Yep, it was denatured with methanol. I thought all denatured alcohol was "denatured" with methanol; thanks for the info.

                                  Steve

                                  --- In ap-ug@yahoogroups.com, "maxmsm" <maxmirot@...> wrote:

                                  > Wow,
                                  > denatured alcohol?
                                  >
                                  > Be carefull not all denatured ETOH are the same.
                                  > They can contain various organics. If it denatured with methonal it should be fine.
                                  >

                                  > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denatured_alcohol
                                  >
                                  > Max Mirot
                                  >
                                  > --- In ap-ug@yahoogroups.com, "snightingale40" <snightingale40@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > Chris,
                                  > >
                                  > > I can't tell you what to do, but the alone almost totally removed my swirl marks. My advice would be to do a very careful camels hair brushing toward the bottom of the lens (telescope horizontal)(I used a "blush brush" from the drugstore) and a good "puffing" from the ear syringe (also from the drugstore). As Roland and others have said, get some plain white Kleenex (from the same drugstore!), dampen in denatured alcohol or methanol (from the hardware store next to the drugstore). I dampened the tissue by dipping in alcohol, and blotted excess on another tissue before applying to the lens. Gently draw the tissue across the lens and see if things improve.
                                  > >
                                  > > The denatured alcohol got me 99% of the way there; the tissue dampened in acetone finished it up. Then I did the silver spots, followed by an alcohol/acetone touch up.
                                  > >
                                  > > Please let me know how it goes, and please pm if you have any questions. I do NOT want to encourage anyone to do anything they are not comfortable with.
                                  > >
                                  > > Steve
                                  > >
                                  > > --- In ap-ug@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher Vedeler L.Ac." <vedeler@> wrote:
                                  > > >
                                  > > > I planted the palm of my hand right on the glass of my AP160 about two
                                  > > > years ago. I did this in the dark while trying to be real clever and
                                  > > > gingerly with retracting the dew shield. Bad move. The next day I
                                  > > > could clearly see the greasy mark left behind. At this point my scope
                                  > > > was only a few months old and I felt almost like I had tainted it for
                                  > > > life. I've been in this hobby long enough to know not to over clean any
                                  > > > optics but I couldn't bring myself to not trying to make this right
                                  > > > somehow.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > I cleaned it with some lens cleaning solution (mostly alcohol),
                                  > > > distilled water and pure cotton makeup wipes. I was able to get it a
                                  > > > lot better, but to this day I still have some streaks and spots I wish
                                  > > > weren't there. Your story may have inspired me to take it on again to
                                  > > > see if I can get her back to 100% again. I've been nervous about doing
                                  > > > it and even considered sending the scope back to AP for a professional
                                  > > > cleaning.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > On the other hand it doesn't seem to affect performance much at all so I
                                  > > > wonder if I should just wait....
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Hmmmm.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Chris Vedeler

                                • snightingale40
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Mar 10, 2009
                                    Looks good Mike!

                                    And, BTW, if I'm ever in a fight I want you on my side. ;>)

                                    Steve

                                  • dthorman1@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Mar 10, 2009
                                      Max & Steve thank you,
                                      Just looked at the denatured ethanol I have and it's 3.8% Methyl Isobutyl
                                      Ketone (is that Methanol?) and 1% of either gasoline, kerosene or a rubber
                                      hydrocarbon solvent.

                                      David

                                    • chris1011@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Mar 10, 2009
                                        In a message dated 3/10/2009 3:02:07 PM Central Daylight Time,
                                        dthorman1@... writes:

                                        > Max & Steve thank you,
                                        > Just looked at the denatured ethanol I have and it's 3.8% Methyl Isobutyl
                                        > Ketone (is that Methanol?) and 1% of either gasoline, kerosene or a rubber
                                        > hydrocarbon solvent.

                                        We do sell Baader Optical Wonder cleaning fluid which contains pure alcohol
                                        and distilled water. It really works well on all optical surfaces. We also sell
                                        Purosol which works on certain organic deposits like tree sap.

                                        Rolando

                                      • Gilles COHEN
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Mar 10, 2009
                                          yes, Baader Optical Wonder works well, but I could not live without Purosol now lol !!!
                                          Gilles

                                          -----E-mail d'origine-----
                                          De : chris1011@...
                                          A : ap-ug@yahoogroups.com
                                          Envoyé le : Mardi, 10 Mars 2009 21:07
                                          Sujet : Re: [ap-ug] Re: AP160 gets a cleaning

                                          dthorman1@... writes:

                                          > Max & Steve thank you,

                                          > Just looked at the denatured ethanol I have and it's 3.8% Methyl Isobutyl

                                          > Ketone (is that Methanol?) and 1% of either gasoline, kerosene or a rubber

                                          > hydrocarbon solvent.

                                          We do sell Baader Optical Wonder cleaning fluid which contains pure alcohol

                                          and distilled water. It really works well on all optical surfaces. We also sell

                                          Purosol which works on certain organic deposits like tree sap.

                                          Rolando

                                          A Good Credit Score is 700 or Above. See yours in just 2

                                          easy steps!

                                          (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1219671244x1201345076/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fwww.freecreditreport.com%2Fpm%2Fdefault.aspx%3Fsc%3D668072%2

                                          6hmpgID%3D62%26bcd%3DfebemailfooterNO62)