AP600 E mount and Mewlon 250

  • danielbriot
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 1, 2003
      Dear sky lovers

      I am in the position to acquire one second hand AP600E mount (pre QMD
      version I think), but I wonder if it could handle one Mewlon 250 OTA
      (to replace in the future my current C9.25).

      I will do mainly visual observations, and some webcam images, but no
      long astrophotos with heavy accessories.

      What do you think of that set up, Mewlon 250 and AP600E ?

      Clear skies

      Daniel
    • joe
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 1, 2003
        The 250 Mewlon is 27 pounds and the 600 should be fine. I had a 250 on a
        G-11 and it carried it no problem. I think the 600 has about the same
        capacity.

        Joe

      • Danielbriot@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 2, 2003
          Dans un e-mail daté du 01/12/2003 17:25:52 Paris, Madrid, astrojoe@...
          a écrit :

          > The 250 Mewlon is 27 pounds and the 600 should be fine. I had a 250 on a
          > G-11 and it carried it no problem. I think the 600 has about the same
          > capacity.
          >
          > Joe

          Hello Joe

          Thank you for your answer. I have also one G11 and I planned to mount in the
          future one Mewlon 250 on it. My problem is that I am in the position to
          acquire one AP130 EDT, but only as a package with one AP600. My question what :
          should I keep the G11 or the AP600 ???

          Difficult to answer because I do not know exactly the performance of the
          AP600 (this is one old model, pre GMD).

          Do you have one feeling on that ?

          In addition, what isyour feeling with the Mewlon 250, compared for exemple to
          6" or 7 " apos (I had for 2 years one AP180 EDT, but I sold it 6 months ago
          due to its weight).

          Kind regards

          Daniel

        • joe
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 2, 2003
            Wow ! Asking my opinion about a Tak and a Losmandy product on the AP
            list and dare to compare it to an AP mount. I'm taking this to private
            email unless you want a war starting. :-)

            Joe

            Danielbriot@... wrote:

            > Dans un e-mail daté du 01/12/2003 17:25:52 Paris, Madrid, astrojoe@...
            > a écrit :
            >
            > > The 250 Mewlon is 27 pounds and the 600 should be fine. I had a 250 on a
            > > G-11 and it carried it no problem. I think the 600 has about the same
            > > capacity.
            > >
            > > Joe
            >
            > Hello Joe
            >
            > Thank you for your answer. I have also one G11 and I planned to mount in the
            > future one Mewlon 250 on it. My problem is that I am in the position to
            > acquire one AP130 EDT, but only as a package with one AP600. My question what :
            > should I keep the G11 or the AP600 ???
            >
            > Difficult to answer because I do not know exactly the performance of the
            > AP600 (this is one old model, pre GMD).
            >
            > Do you have one feeling on that ?
            >
            > In addition, what isyour feeling with the Mewlon 250, compared for exemple to
            > 6" or 7 " apos (I had for 2 years one AP180 EDT, but I sold it 6 months ago
            > due to its weight).
            >
            > Kind regards
            >
            > Daniel

            > To UNSUBSCRIBE, or for general information on the ap-ug list
            > see http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ap-ug

          • Alan Friedman
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 3, 2003
              Hi Daniel -

              I used my 600e goto mount to carry the A/P 10" Mak/Cass for about six
              months. I think this is 7-10 lbs more than the 250 Mewlon and was at
              the upper limit of the mount for visual use. If you are interested in
              imaging with a 250 Mewlon I think you will want a bigger mount than
              either the G11 or 600e.

              I had the opportunity to purchase a 900 mount a few months back and I
              highly recommend it compared to the 600e. I have never owned a G11.
              The 900 is close to the (current) 600e in cost and portability, but
              will carry much more weight and is significantly easier to polar align
              for imaging in the field - my very personal and humble opinion.

              good luck!
              Alan

              > Hello Joe
              >
              > Thank you for your answer. I have also one G11 and I planned to
              mount in the
              > future one Mewlon 250 on it. My problem is that I am in the position to
              > acquire one AP130 EDT, but only as a package with one AP600. My
              question what :
              > should I keep the G11 or the AP600 ???
              >
              > Difficult to answer because I do not know exactly the performance of
              the
              > AP600 (this is one old model, pre GMD).
              >
              > Do you have one feeling on that ?
              >
              > In addition, what isyour feeling with the Mewlon 250, compared for
              exemple to
              > 6" or 7 " apos (I had for 2 years one AP180 EDT, but I sold it 6
              months ago
              > due to its weight).
              >
              > Kind regards
              >
              > Daniel

            • digidodi
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 4, 2003
                > Thank you for your answer. I have also one G11 and I planned to
                mount in the
                > future one Mewlon 250 on it. My problem is that I am in the
                position to
                > acquire one AP130 EDT, but only as a package with one AP600. My
                question what :
                > should I keep the G11 or the AP600 ???

                If you can get an AP130 EDT, I would surely take the mount with it
                Daniel and see which mount performs the best.

                > In addition, what isyour feeling with the Mewlon 250, compared for
                exemple to
                > 6" or 7 " apos (I had for 2 years one AP180 EDT, but I sold it 6
                months ago
                > due to its weight).

                The 250 Mewlon is definitely better in high resolution planetary
                viewing than a 6 inch APO, provided you can keep the wind out of the
                tube as it is quite sensitive because of the open tube. That's my
                expierence with it at least. I don't have the Mew anymore, as it was
                a bit of a burden to set it up each time on my balcony. I acquired a
                small Mak-Cas to replace it.

                D.