last observing report

  • dkeus31
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2003
      Hello (sorry to disturb the M31 discussion thread...)
      It was the last day to observe this week: weather forecast announces
      clouds and rain until next week.
      This time, location was good, but the sky allowed no magnifications
      over 100x. So I forgot Mars this evening.

      But that's no problem!
      I just use my 31mm Nagler with an UHC filter to discover some Milky
      Way splendours: the planetaries M27 and M57.
      Looking tiny, but good.
      I found also quickly the Swan nebula (but with 3° FOV, it is easy),
      which looks better than in a 14" Dobson (but without filter).
      Finally, the Veil nebula which two main parts were very fine targets.
      Just a little disappointing that I could not easy catch the two parts
      in the same FOV…

      After that, I took the filter away to observe M31 (not shooting with
      a camera, sorry again :) ), and the double cluster in Perseus. I saw
      less stars than in the big dob (but there, the coma was also
      disturbing):
      Nevertheless, seeing both clusters in this rich part of the Milky Way
      was just outstanding.

      In a word: once again a winner.
      Thank you Roland for this marvellous scope.

      Didier Keus
      e-mail : dk31t5@...
      http://users.swing.be/dk.astro.photo/