Question about right-angle polar alignment scope

  • Mark Striebeck
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 17, 2013
      Still a rookie with my new AP mount - so please bear with me!

      I don't understand how the right-angle polar alignment scope works. The
      hour circle seems to be completely fixed. Which means that I would put
      Polaris into the same position regardless of the date. I had expected that
      I need to turn the circle to a specific date and then use the hour for
      alignment.

      What am I not understanding?

      MarkS

    • Wayne H
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 17, 2013
        You need an app for smartphone or the new AP driver to tell you where to place Polaris using Alt and Az adjustments.
        Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 17, 2013
          For example...

          https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/astro-physics-polaralign/id555953481?ls=1&mt=8

          On Jul 17, 2013, at 2:03 PM, Wayne H wrote:

          > You need an app for smartphone or the new AP driver to tell you where to place Polaris using Alt and Az adjustments.
          > Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

        • observe_m13
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 17, 2013
            1) Polar align your mount WITHOUT using the RAPAS. Use the drift method with relatively high magnification and do your best to get is as good as you can OR use a CCD drift method such as is part of PEMPRO or similar program. You can even do it with MaximDL if you know how. Bottom line is get the best possible polar alignment by adjusting your azimuth and altitude as you can.
            2) Insert the RAPAS into the adapter plate on the back of your mount and tighten it into position. It only fits properly in one orientation. Using any two pairs of the push-pull screws on the adapter plate, get Polaris into the spot is it supposed to be in according to the iPad/iPhone app labelled "Astro-Physics" or the AP Right Angle Polar Alignment Scope program included with the current AP ASCOM driver.
            3) Make sure the push-pull screws are tightened up properly so that the adapter plate cannot move inadvertently.
            4) Remove the RAPAS if you wish and use your scope normally.

            5) Now the important part. The NEXT time you set up your mount, you will not need to go through the somewhat time consuming and at times frustrating task of drift aligning. You will insert the RAPAS and adjust your altitude and azimuth until Polaris is at the right spot for your time and date as shown on the iPad/iPhone app or the program which came with the AP ASCOM driver ( All Programs > Astro-Physics > ASCOM Driver > AP Right Angle Polar Alignment Scope ). Once Polaris is at the correct spot, you be as close to perfectly polar aligned as you were when you did steps 1 through 4 above.

            --- In ap-gto@yahoogroups.com, Mark Striebeck <mark.striebeck@...> wrote:

            > Still a rookie with my new AP mount - so please bear with me!
            >
            > I don't understand how the right-angle polar alignment scope works. The
            > hour circle seems to be completely fixed. Which means that I would put
            > Polaris into the same position regardless of the date. I had expected that
            > I need to turn the circle to a specific date and then use the hour for
            > alignment.
            >
            > What am I not understanding?
            >
            > MarkS

          • Mark Striebeck