ASCOM or native driver in TheSkyX

  • Mark Striebeck
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 16, 2013
      Hi,

      I just received my new Mach1 GTO mount and wonder if I should use the ASCOM
      driver or the native built-in driver to control the mount from TheSkyX.
      What are the pro's and con's of either approach?

      Thanks
      MarkS

    • primeclash
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 20, 2013
        Congratulations on the Mach1GTO!

        I use the A-P ASCOM driver. I don't see any reason not to. It's supported by A-P and written by Ray Gralak. Ray is a member of this listserv and is an invaluable resource. You can use it with any program that supports the ASCOM standard.

        The 'con' is that TSX has only recently embraced the ASCOM standard. If you have the latest version of TSX you are good to go. Earlier versions of TSX required the use of an 'X2 driver' to bridge TSX and ASCOM, which I used with success but do not anymore now that ASCOM support is native in TSX.

        Hope this helps.

        Regards,
        Louis Marchesi
        New London Twp, PA

        --- In ap-gto@yahoogroups.com, Mark Striebeck <mark.striebeck@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I just received my new Mach1 GTO mount and wonder if I should use the ASCOM
        > driver or the native built-in driver to control the mount from TheSkyX.
        > What are the pro's and con's of either approach?
        >
        > Thanks
        > MarkS

      • Mark Striebeck
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 20, 2013
          Thanks Louis and Ben,

          I'll go with the Ascom driver then. I guess the choice really depends on
          vendor support. I was already impressed when I connected the mount in TSX
          through the Ascom driver how much information TSX pulls in from the mount.

          ... and now I have to work on those finicky guiding parameters ...

          MarkS