Re: [ap-gto] AP 600e + STL11000 Pwer requirements for the field?

  • Dean S
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 25, 2009
      Don't forget your laptop, most likely will not get 8 hours out of the built
      in battery. And depending on your location you may need a dew control
      system too.

      The mount draws the least really so a good jump start battery pack might be
      plenty for it, and keep the slew speeds low to conserve. I would not put the
      camera on the same battery as the laptop and dew controller. When I did
      complete battery operation I did 3 batteries. Make sure you turn off the
      built in battery charger on the laptop as that draws a lot of power. And
      use a 12 volt adapter for it, the inverters are not efficient.

      Might have to try different things to see what you can get by with but
      nothing worse than to run out of juice in the middle of the night. If you
      are at a really remote site you might consider a small quiet Honda generator
      as a backup.

      Dean

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 26, 2009
        Thanks Dean. I'm using a netbook with an SSD so the power requirements are quite low. I think I will try 2 batteries. I'm trying to make this as easy as possible!

        --- In ap-gto@yahoogroups.com, "Dean S" <dean@...> wrote:

        > Don't forget your laptop, most likely will not get 8 hours out of the built
        > in battery. And depending on your location you may need a dew control
        > system too.
        >
        > The mount draws the least really so a good jump start battery pack might be
        > plenty for it, and keep the slew speeds low to conserve. I would not put the
        > camera on the same battery as the laptop and dew controller. When I did
        > complete battery operation I did 3 batteries. Make sure you turn off the
        > built in battery charger on the laptop as that draws a lot of power. And
        > use a 12 volt adapter for it, the inverters are not efficient.
        >
        > Might have to try different things to see what you can get by with but
        > nothing worse than to run out of juice in the middle of the night. If you
        > are at a really remote site you might consider a small quiet Honda generator
        > as a backup.
        >
        > Dean

      • christian viladrich
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 27, 2009
          It also depends on the temperature you have at your observing site

          I started with 2 car batteries some years ago ... now I have 4 car
          batteries (2 x 60 Ah and 2 x 100 Ah), because during long winter night
          (10 hours duration) I may have -10°C.

          In summer, 3 batteries are enough.

          This for an STL11000 + dew heater + laptop + mount. My laptop draws
          certainly a lot of power :-(
          I use a DC/DC convertor for the laptop, it seems to be efficient.
          Otherwise, all other equipement is on 12VDC.

          Christian