seven and a half hours of the bubble in ha (3nm fwhm) at 3366mm f/7.1

  • Richard Crisp
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 10, 2006
      this was recently shot from the backyard in the suburban sf bay area
      using the stinger450 class/cass and the cm10 camera (~120# load total)
      guided via a Lumicon GEG/St7E all riding atop an AP1200GTO made in late
      2000.

      I shot five shots of 30 minutes one night and then about two nights
      later shot 10 x 30 minutes. all shots were unattended and used ccdap
      1.12 for control.

      I would focus early in the evening and then go to bed. there's a bit of
      focus drift as the mirror cools down but not much. the critical focus
      zone is comparatively broad so that may be the major reason besides the
      longish carbon fiber truss tubes.

      I had pretty decent seeing the second of the two nights, I was
      measuring star HFDs of about 2.5" as the sun was setting and it
      improved a bit as the night progressed.

      http://www.narrowbandimaging.com/Bubble_mk1sn2_cm10_geg_cs_ha_page.htm

      I hope to shoot it using other emission line filters soon.

      I'd guess if I need 7.5 hours to get this deep with this level of
      smoothness, I'd need 15 hours in [SII] and 15 hours in [OIII]. I'm not
      sure I am ready to sign up for that :-)
    • mogulskier_groups
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 11, 2006
        Wow! I recently did about 4 hours on the bubble too. But from my
        backyard without the benefit of narrow band filters and only using an
        80mm f/6 scope. Such a striking difference between our images my
        first reaction was to laugh. I gotta get those narrow band filters!

        Regards

        Dave Samuels