42763"Spinning" Mach1 mount

  • Mark Striebeck
    Dec 28, 2013
      Hi,

      Last night, when I started my imaging session, noticed that my handcontroller didn't work. I pressed various buttons (trying to indicate my location), but nothing worked. Checked if the handcontroller plug was firmly in the control box. I finally decided to leave it alone as I'm using plate solving anyway for slewing to my targets. So, I synced the scope from TheSkyX to a star and then started my imaging session.

      At some point later (more then an hour) I could hear my mount. When I checked it, it was spinning around the DEC axis. It would stop for a short moment at the north pole and then do another round. Luckily the scope was in a position where it didn't hit the mount!

      I powered down the scope immediately. Started it back up. I then tried to use the handcontrol again. And noticed that if I pressed buttons often/hard enough at some point they would work. So, I did that and then continued my imaging session. But soon after the same spinning happened again.

      I am using SGPro and PHD. At the time when the spinning happened,  I was taking an imaga, i.e. only PHD was actively engaging with the mount.

      I suspect that the hand controller is faulty. Tonight I'll use the mount with the handcontroller disconnected and see what happened.

      Any other ideas?

      Thanks
           MarkS
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic