Re: Water Quality measurement

  • marti.horan4
    Message 1 of 16 , May 31, 2007
      Thank you Lee and Larry.
      I will look into a DI system tomorrow!

      -Marti

      --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Tagrin" <BizEcology@...>

    • michael@meyer.net
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 2, 2007
        Marty, I would be curious to see if any of your water parameters change after letting your water sit.  In KC, our pH is very high as well.  I don't worry too much about my water since I keep easier to maintain species, but I have heard that the pH does drop very quickly when you let the water sit for 24-48 hours.  I was just curious if it was a myth or truth.
        Mike

        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 2, 2007
          I would guess that it won't drop much. Most of the water that come
          out with a higher pH and then quickly drops is water with little
          buffering. In water with a lot of Calcium, yougenerally don't see
          much immediate pH drop - maybe .3 units or less.

          --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, <michael@...> wrote:

          > Marty, I would be curious to see if any of your water parameters
          change
          > after letting your water sit. In KC, our pH is very high as well.
          I don't
          > worry too much about my water since I keep easier to maintain
          species, but I
          > have heard that the pH does drop very quickly when you let the
          water sit for
          > 24-48 hours. I was just curious if it was a myth or truth.
          > Mike

        • marti.horan4
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 2, 2007
            Mike-
            I will try this and post an answer on Monday night.

            -Marti

            --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, <michael@...> wrote:

            > Marty, I would be curious to see if any of your water parameters
            change
            > after letting your water sit. In KC, our pH is very high as well. I
            don't
            > worry too much about my water since I keep easier to maintain
            species, but I
            > have heard that the pH does drop very quickly when you let the water
            sit for
            > 24-48 hours. I was just curious if it was a myth or truth.
            > Mike

          • marti.horan4
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 5, 2007
              Mike-

              pH test at the water faucet was a little darker purple than the 8.8
              maximum on the test kit, so I'm guessing 9.0
              After sitting at room temperature for 48 hours,and open to room air,
              the pH is 7.2.

              I have been using a Python to do water changes directly from the tap.
              This may change in light of this finding....

              -Marti
              -- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, "marti.horan4" <mjhhoran@...>
              wrote:

              > Mike-
              > I will try this and post an answer on Monday night.
              >
              > -Marti
              >

              > --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, <michael@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Marty, I would be curious to see if any of your water parameters
              > change
              > > after letting your water sit. In KC, our pH is very high as
              well. I
              > don't
              > > worry too much about my water since I keep easier to maintain
              > species, but I
              > > have heard that the pH does drop very quickly when you let the
              water
              > sit for
              > > 24-48 hours. I was just curious if it was a myth or truth.
              > > Mike

            • BRiaN Forsythe
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 5, 2007
                what would cause that?  was the water room temperature when you initially tested it?  this implies that there's some sort of gas in the water increasing the pH.  i would be inclined to think that there was an issue with either the test kit or the method of testing.

                wrote:

                > Mike-
                > I will try this and post an answer on Monday night.
                >
                > -Marti
                >

                > --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, <michael@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Marty, I would be curious to see if any of your water parameters
                > change
                > > after letting your water sit. In KC, our pH is very high as
                well. I
                > don't
                > > worry too much about my water since I keep easier to maintain
                > species, but I
                > > have heard that the pH does drop very quickly when you let the
                water
                > sit for
                > > 24-48 hours. I was just curious if it was a myth or truth.
                > > Mike

              • BRiaN Forsythe
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 5, 2007
                  Assuming of course that there was no precipitate?  even if there is zero buffer in the water, unless there's something acidic in it, the pH shouldn't drop.

                  wrote:

                  > Mike-
                  > I will try this and post an answer on Monday night.
                  >
                  > -Marti
                  >

                  > --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, <michael@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Marty, I would be curious to see if any of your water parameters
                  > change
                  > > after letting your water sit. In KC, our pH is very high as
                  well. I
                  > don't
                  > > worry too much about my water since I keep easier to maintain
                  > species, but I
                  > > have heard that the pH does drop very quickly when you let the
                  water
                  > sit for
                  > > 24-48 hours. I was just curious if it was a myth or truth.
                  > > Mike

                • Larry Tagrin
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 5, 2007
                    From what I've seen, it's not so much a chemical increasing pH, but the lack of dissolved CO2 resulting in a "false high" pH level until it reaches equilibrium.  The water in the pipes is in a very unnatural situation, so the pH can change quite a bit, especially if there is little buffering in your water.  Once it sits for a while, the pH reaches equilibrium.  I fill a 30 gal barrel in my fish room with tap water, add dechlorinator, and let it sit (with a small water pump circulating the water) for at least an hour or so before using it in my tanks.  It seems to reach equilibrium very quickly.  I'll check pH later this week when i fill the container and at times thereafter to see how long it really takes.  My water is neither extremely hard nor soft (TDS 160 - 200, depending on season and weather) so it should provide a decent benchmark.

                    wrote:

                    > Mike-
                    > I will try this and post an answer on Monday night.
                    >
                    > -Marti
                    >

                    > --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, <michael@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Marty, I would be curious to see if any of your water parameters
                    > change
                    > > after letting your water sit. In KC, our pH is very high as
                    well. I
                    > don't
                    > > worry too much about my water since I keep easier to maintain
                    > species, but I
                    > > have heard that the pH does drop very quickly when you let the
                    water
                    > sit for
                    > > 24-48 hours. I was just curious if it was a myth or truth.
                    > > Mike

                  • BRiaN Forsythe
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 5, 2007
                      oh, i see. yeah, that makes perfect sense. guess I hadn't considered that the CO2 level would be less than the atmosphere.

                      From what I've seen, it's not so much a chemical increasing pH, but the lack of dissolved CO2 resulting in a "false high" pH level until it reaches equilibrium.  The water in the pipes is in a very unnatural situation, so the pH can change quite a bit, especially if there is little buffering in your water.  Once it sits for a while, the pH reaches equilibrium.  I fill a 30 gal barrel in my fish room with tap water, add dechlorinator, and let it sit (with a small water pump circulating the water) for at least an hour or so before using it in my tanks.  It seems to reach equilibrium very quickly.  I'll check pH later this week when i fill the container and at times thereafter to see how long it really takes.  My water is neither extremely hard nor soft (TDS 160 - 200, depending on season and weather) so it should provide a decent benchmark.

                      wrote:

                      > Mike-
                      > I will try this and post an answer on Monday night.
                      >
                      > -Marti
                      >

                      > --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, <michael@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Marty, I would be curious to see if any of your water parameters
                      > change
                      > > after letting your water sit. In KC, our pH is very high as
                      well. I
                      > don't
                      > > worry too much about my water since I keep easier to maintain
                      > species, but I
                      > > have heard that the pH does drop very quickly when you let the
                      water
                      > sit for
                      > > 24-48 hours. I was just curious if it was a myth or truth.
                      > > Mike

                    • Gerald Griffin
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 5, 2007
                        Carbon Dioxide in the water will do that, it does it at my place.

                        wrote:

                        > Mike-
                        > I will try this and post an answer on Monday night.
                        >
                        > -Marti
                        >

                        > --- In anubiasdesign@ yahoogroups. com, <michael@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Marty, I would be curious to see if any of your water parameters
                        > change
                        > > after letting your water sit. In KC, our pH is very high as
                        well. I
                        > don't
                        > > worry too much about my water since I keep easier to maintain
                        > species, but I
                        > > have heard that the pH does drop very quickly when you let the
                        water
                        > sit for
                        > > 24-48 hours. I was just curious if it was a myth or truth.
                        > > Mike

                        Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha!

                      • Gerald Griffin
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 5, 2007
                          The kit could be bad.  There could be something that was added to bump the pH up.  When I first read this I read it wrong.

                          wrote:

                          > Mike-
                          > I will try this and post an answer on Monday night.
                          >
                          > -Marti
                          >

                          > --- In anubiasdesign@ yahoogroups. com, <michael@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Marty, I would be curious to see if any of your water parameters
                          > change
                          > > after letting your water sit. In KC, our pH is very high as
                          well. I
                          > don't
                          > > worry too much about my water since I keep easier to maintain
                          > species, but I
                          > > have heard that the pH does drop very quickly when you let the
                          water
                          > sit for
                          > > 24-48 hours. I was just curious if it was a myth or truth.
                          > > Mike

                          in the all-new Yahoo! Mail Beta.