RE: [anubiasdesign] Re:BBA

  • RICHARDO GOVIA
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 3, 2005
      I have tried both fishes and have not had as much success. Both in my case
      would not readily eat the BBA unless denied other food, but in a tank with
      other fishes that is not really possible. I had a flagfish for over a year
      that never really ate any BBA but rather got fat on the frozen brineshrimp i
      fed the other fishes. I have not had aggrssion problems with the flying
      foxes and in fact i keep just one in my tank without any problems, he just
      kind of hangs out never bothering the apistos or rummy noses. My best
      success has been manually removing the BBA, removing leaves in some cases
      and water changes.

      >From: Beth Van Hyfte <lnb071396@...>
      >To: <anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com>
      >Subject: [anubiasdesign] Re:BBA
      >Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 10:18:08 -0600
      >
      >Hi Y'all.
      >
      >The siamese flying fox (Crossocheilus? siamensis) work great and chow down
      >on the Brush algae. So do Jordanella Floridae (florida Flagfish) the
      >later
      >is all the rage in aquascapes today.
      >
      >Here is a warning. The Siamese flying can be very agressive/territorial if
      >not kept in schools DO NOT KEEP A SINGLE FISH. Flag fish can be a bit
      >agressive but man do they Scour algae. Not a candidate for planted
      >aquascapes with small fish ie microrasboras, or itty bitty tetras
      >DEFINATELY
      >NOT COMPATIBLE WITH THE SHRIMPS!!
      >
      > DO NOT USE ALGICIDES- the crap never escapes the gravel. and it does
      >kill
      >plants NO MATTER WHAT THEY SAY!
      >
      >Does anyone have any contributions on the the use of neocardina
      >species.SHRIMPS???? for BBA?
      >
      >Lee <><

    • david
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 3, 2005
        I have not had good success with cherry shrimps eating
        hair algae in general. They'll populate the entire
        tank but I can't tell if they make a dent in the
        algae. Japonica shrimp, Caridina japonica, are much
        more effective in large numbers, IMO.

        I've kept SAE's with microrasboras, cherries, and
        amano shrimp with great success. The SAE's will get
        more aggressive when they get larger, not to the
        extent that they kill other fish but just chase
        everything around. Usually by that time I remove the
        SAE's because they don't eat algae anyway.

        Florida Flagfish are much more effective on green hair
        algaes than BBA. At the LFS we used to keep the FFF
        with BBA infested rocks and they would nicely trim the
        rocks instead of fully removing the stuff.

        BBA requires aggressive treatments to get rid of. I
        don't mean chemicals, etc, but good manual removal. I
        don't keep any SAE's now and have been culling my
        cherry shrimp population. I have found that the most
        effective way for getting rid of BBA is daily removal,
        increasing CO2, and keeping nutrients tight.

        I don't have any scientific proof for everything I've
        stated, so these are mostly opinions :).

        David

        --- Beth Van Hyfte <lnb071396@...> wrote:

        > Hi Y'all.
        >
        > The siamese flying fox (Crossocheilus? siamensis)
        > work great and chow down
        > on the Brush algae. So do Jordanella Floridae
        > (florida Flagfish) the later
        > is all the rage in aquascapes today.
        >
        > Here is a warning. The Siamese flying can be very
        > agressive/territorial if
        > not kept in schools DO NOT KEEP A SINGLE FISH.
        > Flag fish can be a bit
        > agressive but man do they Scour algae. Not a
        > candidate for planted
        > aquascapes with small fish ie microrasboras, or itty
        > bitty tetras DEFINATELY
        > NOT COMPATIBLE WITH THE SHRIMPS!!
        >
        > DO NOT USE ALGICIDES- the crap never escapes the
        > gravel. and it does kill
        > plants NO MATTER WHAT THEY SAY!
        >
        > Does anyone have any contributions on the the use of
        > neocardina
        > species.SHRIMPS???? for BBA?
        >
        > Lee <><

        __________________________________
        http://farechase.yahoo.com
      • asp628
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 4, 2005
          Manually remove as much as you can, blast the rest with H2O2 or
          Seachem Excel and increase your CO2. Problem solved! ...Dang, I
          sound like Tom Barr:) Seriously though, it works.

          Aaron

        • Redragon40@aol.com
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 4, 2005
            In my experience, BBA is black brush algae, tenacious and hairy, while the cyanobacterial type is BGA, blue green "algae", the slimy stuff that coats things like kudzu covers trees.
            Carol
          • Ruth Won
            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 4, 2005
              ...I just have to say...this forum is awesome. I
              learned so much about what to do for BBA in one
              sitting, reading all those emails than I did googling.
              Thanks guys! :)

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Redragon40@aol.com
              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 17, 2006
                My one experience with BBA was a coffeefolia plant that I bought cheap
                because it was covered. Two weeks in the tank with my rosy barbs and it was 99%
                clean.
                Carol < ' )))><