Re: [anubiasdesign] Digest Number 76

  • Anna Easton
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 2005
      Hi Mark!
      Just to let you know that I received the sponge filters that I bought on AB yesterday. They look great! Now, to set up some more tanks when DH isn't looking...............
      Many thanks!
      Anna

      anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com wrote:
      http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/ctpplB/TM

      There are 9 messages in this issue.

      Topics in this digest:

      1. Re:outdoor rainwater storage in winter
      From: Redragon40@...
      2. Re: Re:outdoor rainwater storage in winter
      From:
      3. Re: water conditioners
      From: Mark Denaro
      4. sparkling gourami
      From: "Jenni Davids"
      5. RE: sparkling gourami
      From: "Kurt Johnston"
      6. Re:outdoor rainwater storage in winter
      From: "fishgeek7777"
      7. Re:outdoor rainwater storage in winter
      From: "fishgeek7777"
      8. Re: New to Group
      From: "Genn"
      9. Re: Re: New to Group
      From: BigJohnW@...

      Message: 1
      Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 11:21:42 EDT
      From: Redragon40@...
      Subject: Re:outdoor rainwater storage in winter

      I have my rainwater on my back deck also. I live in a mobile home and have
      virtually no indoor storage. In order to make sure I have quantities of
      non-ice to do water changes, I have one gallon iced tea jugs, washed and labeled
      "rain water." I fill them, leaving an air space at the shoulder, and cap
      them, and store them along the edge of the deck. Then when I need rain water, I
      bring in the amount I need and set them in a warm place to thaw. If I am in
      a hurry, I put the jug in a bucket and fill it with hot water to hasten the
      thawing. I don't have a lot of big tanks that use rainwater, but I did set up
      a few tens. This year, I will use an air stone to keep the surface of the
      rainwater tubs free enough of ice so I can siphon into the jugs as I empty
      them, or into a bucket to bring in. Very low tech and limited, I admit, but it
      works for me.
      Carol

      [This message contained attachments]

      Message: 2
      Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 10:33:38 -0500
      Subject: Re: Re:outdoor rainwater storage in winter

      Insulate the barrel with styro and install a trough heater that you can get from any feed and grain store while there check out the trough section for water storage containers. I use a 300 gallon Rubbermaid container out side and a 150 old freezer chest liner for the storage inside. Sometimes gutter heat tape will work around a 55 gallon drum. Keep the top cover on so the heat does not escape and so the water will not evaporate as quickly. If you use the heat tape it will just keep the water from freezing. Some parts of the country get to cold for it to work during the coldest parts of winter.

      aL
[...]

      Message: 3
      Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 08:38:14 -0700 (PDT)
      From: Mark Denaro
      Subject: Re: water conditioners

      Gretchen,
      The Tap Water Conditioner is actually designed for tap water, and does eliminate chlorine. I recommend it for well water because of all the other things that it does. I've never seen a product designed specifically for well water.
      Mark

      roger johnson wrote:
      Thank you everyone for the advice, I did find the Tap Water Conditioner plus the other ones mentioned. I looked through several online stores though, and didn't see anything specific for wells. Anyone know of an online source?

      Milo, what a simple but brilliant idea! I think it will make the difference for me so I don't have to try to get back and forth multiple times. Yay.

      Gretchen

      Aquarium plant Aquarium fishes Craft hobby Hobby and craft supply Aquarium Hobby

      ---------------------------------

      ---------------------------------

      [This message contained attachments]

      Message: 4
      Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 19:26:37 -0000
      From: "Jenni Davids"
      Subject: sparkling gourami

      I have only seen some very general information about these little
      guys. I'm planting my 20g with crypt wendtii, java ferns, java moss
      and the like, and thought they might be a cute addition. There's one
      at my LFS and he doesn't think he'll get any in anytime soon. Do they
      do well on their own, is anyone selling any/know where to find them,
      anyone have experience with them?

      Thank you for any and all information!
      Jenni

      Message: 5
      Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 17:44:26 -0400
      From: "Kurt Johnston"
      Subject: RE: sparkling gourami

      Jenni,

      I assume you are talking about Trichopsis pumilus(sp?). I have seen a few
      but not very often. Mark has T.schalleri which is very similar and I got 6
      from him 2 weeks ago and they are much better looking than I thought they
      would be. I attached a picture of one if that helps. I am no photographer
      so ignore that quality

      Kurt
      I have only seen some very general information about these little
      guys. I'm planting my 20g with crypt wendtii, java ferns, java moss
      and the like, and thought they might be a cute addition. There's one
      at my LFS and he doesn't think he'll get any in anytime soon. Do they
      do well on their own, is anyone selling any/know where to find them,
      anyone have experience with them?

      Thank you for any and all information!
      Jenni

      Service.

      [This message contained attachments]

      Message: 6
      Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 22:53:56 -0000
      From: "fishgeek7777"

      Thanks for the tip. I think that will be the best way to go for me
      as I live in an apartment. Thanks for your tips!

      --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, Redragon40@a... wrote:

      > I have my rainwater on my back deck also. I live in a mobile home
      and have
      > virtually no indoor storage. In order to make sure I have
      quantities of
      > non-ice to do water changes, I have one gallon iced tea jugs,
      washed and labeled
      > "rain water." I fill them, leaving an air space at the shoulder,
      and cap
      > them, and store them along the edge of the deck. Then when I need
      rain water, I
      > bring in the amount I need and set them in a warm place to thaw.
      If I am in
      > a hurry, I put the jug in a bucket and fill it with hot water to
      hasten the
      > thawing. I don't have a lot of big tanks that use rainwater, but
      I did set up
      > a few tens. This year, I will use an air stone to keep the
      surface of the
      > rainwater tubs free enough of ice so I can siphon into the jugs as
      I empty
      > them, or into a bucket to bring in. Very low tech and limited, I
      admit, but it
      > works for me.
      > Carol

      Message: 7
      Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 22:55:39 -0000
      From: "fishgeek7777"

      Thanks for the info! I will have to refer to this when I one day
      have the means for installing a trough heater as right now I don't
      even have an electrical outlet outside. Cool idea though!

      --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, wrote:

      > Insulate the barrel with styro and install a trough heater that you
      can get from any feed and grain store while there check out the
      trough section for water storage containers. I use a 300 gallon
      Rubbermaid container out side and a 150 old freezer chest liner for
      the storage inside. Sometimes gutter heat tape will work around a 55
      gallon drum. Keep the top cover on so the heat does not escape and
      so the water will not evaporate as quickly. If you use the heat
      tape it will just keep the water from freezing. Some parts of the
      country get to cold for it to work during the coldest parts of winter.

      > aL

      Message: 8
      Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 06:50:53 -0000
      From: "Genn"
      Subject: Re: New to Group

      Well I am willing to give them a try. They would make an interesting
      addition to my oddball tank and considering the tanks full of peat
      water they should do well there. Please let me know as soon as you
      get more and put me up for a few. I'll probably get half a dozen
      depending on shipping cost. I'm also interested in half a dozen wild
      betta imbellis. I get paid on the 5th and if you get those pipefish
      in it would be perfect if I could have them shipped alltogether. I
      have a set amount of money I allow myself to spend on fish every
      paycheck and I plan on splurging it on new fish.

      Thanks,
      Genn

      --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, Mark Denaro
      wrote:

      > Genn,
      > Welcome to the group. I did post some pics in, I think, the photo
      album titled Miscellaneous or something along those lines. I still
      haven't figured out a definite id on them. Unfortunately, as of this
      afternoon they are sold out. They were on the availability list
      again for this week (I didn't order from that supplier, so I couln't
      get more), so I'm hoping to get more of them on 11/06 or 11/13. I've
      been feeding them baby brine shrimp and they take that pretty well.
      I have them in peat-filtered tap water with a pH of about 5.8-6.0 and
      they seem to be doing well. That's not the water conditions I was
      planning to use for them, but they were shipped with an almond leaf
      in the bag, so I thought I'd try that rather than a higher pH system,
      and they seem to be happy. I actually have them in with some
      Sphaerichthys vaillanti, which seems to be a good mix.
      > Mark
      >
      > Genn wrote:
      > Hello I am new to the group. I breed bettas and some dwarf
      cichlids. I
      > have a collection of other fish species that sometimes breed too,
      but I
      > mainly keep them around just to look at.
      >
      > I'm VERY interested in some of those Pipefish on the stocklist. Is
      > there anything you can tell me about them. Information online for
      them
      > is sparce and not very detailed.
      >
      > Thank you,
      > Genn

      > Aquarium plant Aquarium fishes Craft hobby Hobby and craft supply
      Aquarium Hobby

      Service.

      > ---------------------------------
      >

      > Anubias Design
      > "where rare species are common"
      >
      > ---------------------------------

      Message: 9
      Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 02:57:09 -0400
      From: BigJohnW@...
      Subject: Re: Re: New to Group

      Where do you live Genn, that will make the biggest part of your shipping
      bill, closer you are to Philly PA, the less the shipping costs will be.
      Last time i saw pygmy gouramis on the list i think they were $2 each, a
      dozen fish is only $24 and if you live close to Philly, you can use UPS
      Ground like i do, which is about $12, and im way wayyyyyyy upstate NY
      near the canadian border... Mark packs things really well, might need a
      heat pack with the recent cool streak we've had.... but even then.
      YOu'll love the fish in a planted tank, they look nice...
      Mine do!!

      John

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      Please help Katrina's survivors:
      http://salvationarmyusa.org/

    • Mark Denaro
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 1, 2005
        Anna,
        Remember this line, "No, Honey, that's been there for years."
        Good luck!
        Thanks for letting me know you got them.
        Mark

        From: Redragon40@...
        2. Re: Re:outdoor rainwater storage in winter
        From:
        3. Re: water conditioners
        From: Mark Denaro
        4. sparkling gourami
        From: "Jenni Davids"
        5. RE: sparkling gourami
        From: "Kurt Johnston"
        6. Re:outdoor rainwater storage in winter
        From: "fishgeek7777"
        7. Re:outdoor rainwater storage in winter
        From: "fishgeek7777"
        8. Re: New to Group
        From: "Genn"
        9. Re: Re: New to Group
        From: BigJohnW@...

        Message: 1

        Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 10:33:38 -0500

        Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 22:53:56 -0000
        From: "fishgeek7777"

        Thanks for the tip. I think that will be the best way to go for me
        as I live in an apartment. Thanks for your tips!

        --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, Redragon40@a... wrote:

        > I have my rainwater on my back deck also. I live in a mobile home
        and have
        > virtually no indoor storage. In order to make sure I have
        quantities of
        > non-ice to do water changes, I have one gallon iced tea jugs,
        washed and labeled
        > "rain water." I fill them, leaving an air space at the shoulder,
        and cap
        > them, and store them along the edge of the deck. Then when I need
        rain water, I
        > bring in the amount I need and set them in a warm place to thaw.
        If I am in
        > a hurry, I put the jug in a bucket and fill it with hot water to
        hasten the
        > thawing. I don't have a lot of big tanks that use rainwater, but
        I did set up
        > a few tens. This year, I will use an air stone to keep the
        surface of the
        > rainwater tubs free enough of ice so I can siphon into the jugs as
        I empty
        > them, or into a bucket to bring in. Very low tech and limited, I
        admit, but it
        > works for me.
        > Carol

        Message: 7
        Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 22:55:39 -0000
        From: "fishgeek7777"

        Thanks for the info! I will have to refer to this when I one day
        have the means for installing a trough heater as right now I don't
        even have an electrical outlet outside. Cool idea though!

        --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, wrote:

        > Insulate the barrel with styro and install a trough heater that you
        can get from any feed and grain store while there check out the
        trough section for water storage containers. I use a 300 gallon
        Rubbermaid container out side and a 150 old freezer chest liner for
        the storage inside. Sometimes gutter heat tape will work around a 55
        gallon drum. Keep the top cover on so the heat does not escape and
        so the water will not evaporate as quickly. If you use the heat
        tape it will just keep the water from freezing. Some parts of the
        country get to cold for it to work during the coldest parts of winter.

        > aL

        Message: 8
        Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 06:50:53 -0000
        From: "Genn"

        wrote:

        > Genn,
        > Welcome to the group. I did post some pics in, I think, the photo
        album titled Miscellaneous or something along those lines. I still
        haven't figured out a definite id on them. Unfortunately, as of this
        afternoon they are sold out. They were on the availability list
        again for this week (I didn't order from that supplier, so I couln't
        get more), so I'm hoping to get more of them on 11/06 or 11/13. I've
        been feeding them baby brine shrimp and they take that pretty well.
        I have them in peat-filtered tap water with a pH of about 5.8-6.0 and
        they seem to be doing well. That's not the water conditions I was
        planning to use for them, but they were shipped with an almond leaf
        in the bag, so I thought I'd try that rather than a higher pH system,
        and they seem to be happy. I actually have them in with some
        Sphaerichthys vaillanti, which seems to be a good mix.
        > Mark
        >
        > Genn wrote:
        > Hello I am new to the group. I breed bettas and some dwarf
        cichlids. I
        > have a collection of other fish species that sometimes breed too,
        but I
        > mainly keep them around just to look at.
        >
        > I'm VERY interested in some of those Pipefish on the stocklist. Is
        > there anything you can tell me about them. Information online for
        them
        > is sparce and not very detailed.
        >
        > Thank you,
        > Genn

        > Aquarium plant Aquarium fishes Craft hobby Hobby and craft supply
        Aquarium Hobby

        Service.

        > Anubias Design
        > "where rare species are common"