RE: [anubiasdesign] Re: Galaxy Rasboras have a name!

  • Richard Pierce
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 28 7:36 PM
      The good and bad thing about common names is that there is no "Official" common name.  I suspect that galaxy rasbora is already too well known to change.  In my experience it is very unusual, however to use a common name in the title of the paper and not use the scientific name.  The paper properly should have been titled "Celestichthys margaritatus, a new genus and species...".  It does make the author seem a bit unprofessional, but the rest of the paper seems thorough.  I am surprised it didn't get changed duing peer review.  But there was only one anonymous reviewer (three is typical).  The paper is based on morphology; no molecular biology.  Curiously, the introductory paragraph mentions the names "galaxy rasbora" and "galaxy microrasbora".  I did a quick read through of the paper and didn't see the name "Celestial Pearl Danio" anywhere except the title.  The scientific name literally means "Heavenly fish adorned with pearls".  So, the scientific name sticks but celestial pearl danio probably won't.

      Rich

      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 1, 2007
        Would someone on the list, download this and email it to me. My computer won't allow me to
        open it for some weird reason.

        Thanks in advance,
        Doran Figart

      • leeh920226@aol.com
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 1, 2007

          In a message dated 3/1/07 11:03:11 AM, livebearium@... writes:

          << My computer won't allow me to  open it for some weird reason. >>

          Probably because you don't have the Acrobat Reader plug in installed.

          Lee Harper
          Media, PA

          **************************************
        • VGRANDINETTI@NJTRANSIT.COM
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 1, 2007
            Message
            Mark added it to the files section. Have you tried to open it from there?

            .

          • leeh920226@aol.com
            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 1, 2007
              Sorry about the HTML stuff. I am trying to turn it off.

              Lee Harper
              Media, PA

              **************************************
            • BRiaN Forsythe
              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 1, 2007
                You can get reader here.
              • Benjamin Keck
                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 1, 2007
                  The paper suffers a little from what I'm guessing was a rush to get the fish
                  described so it will be easier to protect and accepting that it is a pretty
                  good presentation of the data. Not only does the paper describe the
                  differences between it and its likely closest relatives, but it also tries
                  to get at the broader intergeneric relationships. However, the placement is
                  based on subjective judgement of the characters and no character matix is
                  presented to support the proposed relationships. Describing a new species
                  is enough work for several months, but determining intergeneric
                  relationships in a relatively poorly known/sorted out group is much more
                  involved. Most of the time common names are just that, the common language
                  name used to refer to the fish. There are some things to consider, like
                  that it should probably be called a danio of some sort instead of a rasbora,
                  but Galaxy Danio isn't such a difference.

                  Ben
                • Charles & Sue Harrison
                  Message 8 of 18 , Mar 7, 2007
                    Moved the Galaxy ¿Danios
                    Today I moved a dozen 1/2 inch young to a display tank in our offices.  Different water supply, different city and river. They are taking flake food and look like they may well enjoy the open space. I would guess I have about 100+ of them now from this big  <;>  to   <---->  and have distributed around St Louis as well. I am not the best breeder there is so there must be others (other than Darrell that is) who have spawns. But i would like to hear the place of origin has recovered or is in the process . . .

                    anybody else?  any words?

                    Charles & Sue Harrison
                    http://www.InkForYourPrinter.com
                    Toll free 1-866-677-1900
                    Call, click or come in for your Ink & Toner Cartridge needs.
                    Just saw a post on Aquabid, someone named Roberts has described the Galaxy as Celestichthys margaritatus, and is trying to change the common name to "Celestial Pearl Danio". Aside from the fact that it's not a Danio by any stretch of the imagination, do these people not read anything outside of scientific papers?

                    --

                    Change as much water as often as you can!