Re: FISH TANK EMERGENCY!! PLEASE HELP ME!!!

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1, 2006
      Try to figure out where it's leaking if you can. Siphon water out of
      the tank to get below the leak. If your filters won't run because the
      water level is too low, add some airstones to keep the water
      circulating and the fish alive. Be aware that the leak can worsen,
      depending on where it is and why it started, so the seam may continue
      to give way, even though you've lowered the water to a point below the
      leak. If you want to repair it, you'll need to remove the existing
      silicone and replace it with new. That is really best done when the
      tank is dry and on the whole seam that leaked. Consequently, the best
      advice is to buy another tank and then fix this one after you've moved
      everything into the new tank.
      Good luck,
      Mark

      --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, "lilsweetfish" <ayuko_k4l@...>
      wrote:

      > I have a 55gallon planted@tank and I've just noticed that there's a
      > leak!!! It's me and my bf's tank but he is away and I don't know
      what
      > to do. I look at it from the bottom and don't see any crack, it
      looks
      > likt water is leaking through the sealant. I saw the tank on
      Thursday
      > fine and today the level of the water made me really look, it' gone
      > about 4 inches.
      >
      > I live in west los angeles near down town culver city, is anyone
      > available to come fix it? or at least e-mail me for help??

    • Beth Van Hyfte
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 1, 2006
        HI,

        Go to a target/wal mart/K-mart and get a 58+ quart Rubbermaid tub!! Siphon
        half the remaining water from the 55Gallon AVOID any mulm.

        Move the fish into the tub and siphon out as much of the water as you can
        without gravel and mulm.

        Start to age (dechlorinate) some water to add even more into the rubbermaid
        tub. Add air stones or better yet a sponge filter. DO NOT FEED THE FISH
        removed from the tub until you have to.

        Fish can go without food a lot longer than they can survive in ammonia
        filled water.

        If you have live plants plop them in a garbage bag and seal the top until
        you can place them back in a tank. This will at least keep them damp.

        Siphon a little more water out of the tank into a waste water bucket. This
        water level below the gravel line will allow the gravel to stay damp and
        allow better oxygen to the gravel until you can get it all fixed.
        DAMP gravel is better than NON-oxygenated submerged gravel.

        All this will at least buy you a little time!!

        UNPLUG the heater before it is too late preferably before removing any more
        water.

        GOOD LUCK, God Bless, Lee <><
      • lilsweetfish
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 1, 2006
          Thank you for the quick response,I REALLY appreciated. To be honest I
          am still in deep shock, as many people responded to me saying that I
          have to drain the water and remove everything, and dry the tank before
          I seal it. Or buy a new tank. Me and my boyfriend spent months to
          improve this tank and all of the plants started to root really good,
          and I can't believe that I have to go over to build the tank all over
          again...and we both don't have a car to get a tank, or friends and
          family to give us a ride... Oh my god...

          Is there anyway that I can fix it without taking everything out??
          Thank you...
        • harry perry
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 1, 2006
            You could try sealing the leak while the tank is full. I have been successful with this in the past. You will need silicon cement. You patch the area using your finger and the cement under water. If the entire seam has not given way this  might work.
            It did for me.

            Harry

          • BigJohnW@Webtv.net
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 1, 2006
              Sorry to say this and agree with alot of the others, but they were
              correct. You will have to drain the tank, dry the section that leaks
              and seal it with silicon from the inside... not the outside... ive
              sealed many tanks that sprung leaks and had them all hold up just
              fine.... Unfortunately it does involve taking the tank down. If you
              took everything out..... cleaned the area and resealed it, it would only
              need 48 hrs to cure before you could set it back up... Fish can be kept
              alive in one of those large rubber maid containers and so can the
              plants. Three days work for a beautiful tank isnt a bad thing.....
              There is no quick cure fix it all...Either you buy a new tank and reset
              it up or seal the old one properly..... otherwise you'll have a learker
              again soon!!

              Its your choice!!

              John
            • sherry@panix.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 1, 2006
                there is no reason to worry about "plants
                rooted really good" in a planted tank. MOst
                plants for aquariums trim best from the bottom,
                meaning as this takes off you will be constantly
                pulling things out and replanting.

                nothing is worse than a burst tank. Just know
                taht all your hard work will transfer to the new
                tank and get the job done right.

                On 1 Oct 2006 at 15:59, lilsweetfish wrote:

                > Thank you for the quick response,I REALLY appreciated. To be honest I
                > am still in deep shock, as many people responded to me saying that I
                > have to drain the water and remove everything, and dry the tank before
                > I seal it. Or buy a new tank. Me and my boyfriend spent months to
                > improve this tank and all of the plants started to root really good,
                > and I can't believe that I have to go over to build the tank all over
                > again...and we both don't have a car to get a tank, or friends and
                > family to give us a ride... Oh my god...
                >
                > Is there anyway that I can fix it without taking everything out??
                > Thank you...
                >

                > Please DELETE this line and EVERYTHING below it when replying.
                > PLEASE, when you REPLY to a post, DELETE all TEXT that is NOT important to the reply & if CHANGING the TOPIC of the original message MODIFY the SUBJECT LINE -> i.e. "new subject (was re: old subject)" <-
                > We Thank You in Advance for Your HELP in this matter.
                >
                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                "After all, submarining has always been a
                game of Blind Man's Bluff."
                -- a top submarine admiral

                Sherry@...