FISH TANK EMERGENCY!! PLEASE HELP ME!!!

  • lilsweetfish
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 30, 2006
      I have a 55gallon planted@tank and I've just noticed that there's a
      leak!!! It's me and my bf's tank but he is away and I don't know what
      to do. I look at it from the bottom and don't see any crack, it looks
      likt water is leaking through the sealant. I saw the tank on Thursday
      fine and today the level of the water made me really look, it' gone
      about 4 inches.

      I live in west los angeles near down town culver city, is anyone
      available to come fix it? or at least e-mail me for help??
    • Mark
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 1, 2006
        Try to figure out where it's leaking if you can. Siphon water out of
        the tank to get below the leak. If your filters won't run because the
        water level is too low, add some airstones to keep the water
        circulating and the fish alive. Be aware that the leak can worsen,
        depending on where it is and why it started, so the seam may continue
        to give way, even though you've lowered the water to a point below the
        leak. If you want to repair it, you'll need to remove the existing
        silicone and replace it with new. That is really best done when the
        tank is dry and on the whole seam that leaked. Consequently, the best
        advice is to buy another tank and then fix this one after you've moved
        everything into the new tank.
        Good luck,
        Mark

        --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, "lilsweetfish" <ayuko_k4l@...>
        wrote:

        > I have a 55gallon planted@tank and I've just noticed that there's a
        > leak!!! It's me and my bf's tank but he is away and I don't know
        what
        > to do. I look at it from the bottom and don't see any crack, it
        looks
        > likt water is leaking through the sealant. I saw the tank on
        Thursday
        > fine and today the level of the water made me really look, it' gone
        > about 4 inches.
        >
        > I live in west los angeles near down town culver city, is anyone
        > available to come fix it? or at least e-mail me for help??

      • Beth Van Hyfte
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 1, 2006
          HI,

          Go to a target/wal mart/K-mart and get a 58+ quart Rubbermaid tub!! Siphon
          half the remaining water from the 55Gallon AVOID any mulm.

          Move the fish into the tub and siphon out as much of the water as you can
          without gravel and mulm.

          Start to age (dechlorinate) some water to add even more into the rubbermaid
          tub. Add air stones or better yet a sponge filter. DO NOT FEED THE FISH
          removed from the tub until you have to.

          Fish can go without food a lot longer than they can survive in ammonia
          filled water.

          If you have live plants plop them in a garbage bag and seal the top until
          you can place them back in a tank. This will at least keep them damp.

          Siphon a little more water out of the tank into a waste water bucket. This
          water level below the gravel line will allow the gravel to stay damp and
          allow better oxygen to the gravel until you can get it all fixed.
          DAMP gravel is better than NON-oxygenated submerged gravel.

          All this will at least buy you a little time!!

          UNPLUG the heater before it is too late preferably before removing any more
          water.

          GOOD LUCK, God Bless, Lee <><
        • lilsweetfish
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 1, 2006
            Thank you for the quick response,I REALLY appreciated. To be honest I
            am still in deep shock, as many people responded to me saying that I
            have to drain the water and remove everything, and dry the tank before
            I seal it. Or buy a new tank. Me and my boyfriend spent months to
            improve this tank and all of the plants started to root really good,
            and I can't believe that I have to go over to build the tank all over
            again...and we both don't have a car to get a tank, or friends and
            family to give us a ride... Oh my god...

            Is there anyway that I can fix it without taking everything out??
            Thank you...
          • harry perry
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 1, 2006
              You could try sealing the leak while the tank is full. I have been successful with this in the past. You will need silicon cement. You patch the area using your finger and the cement under water. If the entire seam has not given way this  might work.
              It did for me.

              Harry

            • BigJohnW@Webtv.net
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 1, 2006
                Sorry to say this and agree with alot of the others, but they were
                correct. You will have to drain the tank, dry the section that leaks
                and seal it with silicon from the inside... not the outside... ive
                sealed many tanks that sprung leaks and had them all hold up just
                fine.... Unfortunately it does involve taking the tank down. If you
                took everything out..... cleaned the area and resealed it, it would only
                need 48 hrs to cure before you could set it back up... Fish can be kept
                alive in one of those large rubber maid containers and so can the
                plants. Three days work for a beautiful tank isnt a bad thing.....
                There is no quick cure fix it all...Either you buy a new tank and reset
                it up or seal the old one properly..... otherwise you'll have a learker
                again soon!!

                Its your choice!!

                John
              • sherry@panix.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 1, 2006
                  there is no reason to worry about "plants
                  rooted really good" in a planted tank. MOst
                  plants for aquariums trim best from the bottom,
                  meaning as this takes off you will be constantly
                  pulling things out and replanting.

                  nothing is worse than a burst tank. Just know
                  taht all your hard work will transfer to the new
                  tank and get the job done right.

                  On 1 Oct 2006 at 15:59, lilsweetfish wrote:

                  > Thank you for the quick response,I REALLY appreciated. To be honest I
                  > am still in deep shock, as many people responded to me saying that I
                  > have to drain the water and remove everything, and dry the tank before
                  > I seal it. Or buy a new tank. Me and my boyfriend spent months to
                  > improve this tank and all of the plants started to root really good,
                  > and I can't believe that I have to go over to build the tank all over
                  > again...and we both don't have a car to get a tank, or friends and
                  > family to give us a ride... Oh my god...
                  >
                  > Is there anyway that I can fix it without taking everything out??
                  > Thank you...
                  >

                  > Please DELETE this line and EVERYTHING below it when replying.
                  > PLEASE, when you REPLY to a post, DELETE all TEXT that is NOT important to the reply & if CHANGING the TOPIC of the original message MODIFY the SUBJECT LINE -> i.e. "new subject (was re: old subject)" <-
                  > We Thank You in Advance for Your HELP in this matter.
                  >
                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  "After all, submarining has always been a
                  game of Blind Man's Bluff."
                  -- a top submarine admiral

                  Sherry@...