LFS support

  • Beth Van Hyfte
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 3, 2005
      Hi Y'all,

      The LFS's in this area used to give 10-15% discount. Not a bad deal as
      it encouraged the club members to visit. Plus club members are typically
      more productive and have fish they bred locally. It all comes out in the
      wash.

      We also used to solicite mystery fish for free from the LFS's. They give us
      the fish and we would promote them specifically at the meeting. Might give
      it a try.
      It is rather fun.
      A brown bag with the donated fish.
      10-15 clues as to what it is.
      Best guess or first person to blurt out the right answer won the fish!
      WARNING if you open your mouth and you did not want the fish in the first
      place you still take it home. I once ended up with 2 EVIL red devils.
      Killed more fish than I could count HAHA!!!

      The LFS's in this area have mostly been ran out by Petco and Petsmart.
      Laze Faire economy has its disadvantages! Oh Well. Beats the alternative.
      The only strong LFS in the area has TERRIBLE customer service. They give
      literally nickles for tank raised fish. Yeah I could see that on convicts,
      but locality peacocks tropheus, and angels. He then turns around and sells
      them at list prices. MAKES ME SICK! Half heartedly want to open a store
      and show people what a fish store should be. ALAS, I have no MONEY. 4 kids
      take care of that!!

      The only thing I really like about petco is that they run great sales on
      fish on occasion. I bought 6 m. pitteri last week for $6 total. did the
      same with H. rosaceous. Besides lets me buy cheap fish for the kids to
      kill at a later date. I still have not figured out what they do that
      causes 25% of the fish I buy at petco to die. I can bring in half dead wild
      fish from africa and not loose a one but a healthy looking petco cherry barb
      to croak in a weak. :-(

      God Bless, Lee <><
    • augustand@sbcglobal.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 3, 2005
        You are doing great if you only lose 25 %of the fish from Petco. I buy them
        and the plague from them goes to every tank around.

      • FortWayneFish@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 3, 2005
          When my Petco had there grand opening I went to see what  they had. I found a tank full of 1"Panda cory cats at $1 each. needless to say I bought the tank... When the assistant manager started to ring them up he tried charging $4.99 each said the sign on the tank was wrong. I made a BIG scene and got them at $1 each.Out of 15 Corycats I have all but One still alive.

          I do not make a habit of shopping Large retail stores but my Mother had bought me a $20 Petco giftcard for my Birthday. Which coincided with my towns 1st Petco grand opening.

          I'd prefer to shop the mom and pops stores even if there fish are a little more pricey.

          Rob
          NE Indiana
          USA