Re: [anubiasdesign] Hair Algae

  • Julie Zeppieri
    Message 1 of 62 , Sep 2, 2006
      I am leary of Excel, as I have used it and it killed my Botia sidthimunki.
      Burned them badly. Was not nice to see. The tank was otherwise healthy and
      the dosage I used was about 50% of the recommended amount, as I am normally
      cautious with that stuff anyhow. If you use it, be careful. I know lots of
      folks who have never had problems, but I did and so it is possible. FWIW
      took me years, and until only about a month ago, to replace those sids. The
      ones that died I had had for 6 or 8 years and they were wonderful animals.
      If you use this, and can remove the animals, then I agree to do so.

      I prefer to *not* use chemicals when a another option is avaliable. There
      are biological and environmental controls, so why dump in drugs except as a
      last resort? :) There are animals that eat it, and as Chuck said, CO2 can
      be utilized also.

      JulieZ <"><

      >From: Chuck Nishihira <dfmanuran@...>
      >To: anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: Re: [anubiasdesign] Hair Algae
      >Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2006 16:08:17 -0700 (PDT)
      >
      >I think probably the best thing to do is to increase
      >the amount of CO2 in your tank. Be mindful of the
      >fish in there (maybe even take them out for awhile.
      >But if you elevate the CO2 levels, the black brush
      >algae will die off quickly. Just keep your CO2 levels
      >correct after that and the BBA shouldn't return. Or
      >if you don't use CO2, a lot of people swear by using
      >Excel (I hope it is okay to mention this Mark. If
      >Mark sells it, buy it from him please). At
      >recommended dosages or even a little higher, it will
      >kill the BBA. It will turn it bright read
      >first...kind of neat.

    • David Williams
      Message 62 of 62 , Dec 9, 2007
        To kill BBA with Excel, spot treat it.

        This means, take your doseage of Excel for the tank, and administer it using a syringe. Squirt the Excel directly on to the BBA, one small section at a time over the course of your regular dosing.

        BBA goes grey and dies.