RE: [anubiasdesign] Re: HYRDAS!!!!

  • Earl Blewett
    Message 1 of 26 , May 1, 2006
      If you want to kill hydra use 5% flubendazole powder. It doesn't kill amano
      or cherry shrimp but it will kill MTS and pond snails. It leaves a residue
      that kills Nerite snails so if you won't be able to keep them in the tank.

      I have used this a few times to eliminate green and brown hydra.

      There was a story in the JAKA about hydra and that's where I found out about
      it.
      I've attached an article about flubendazole.

      Best wishes,

      Earl
      Earl Blewett Ph.D.
      Associate Professor of Microbiology
      Dept. of Biochemistry and Microbiology
      Oklahoma State University
      Center for Health Sciences
      College of Osteopathic Medicine
      1111 W 17 St. Tulsa, OK 74107

      Email: micro@...
      Office: (918) 561-8405
      FAX: (918) 561-8414
    • Rich
      Message 2 of 26 , May 1, 2006
        Hey Earl,

        Do you think it will kill any type of snail? I have an issue with the
        malaysian trumpet snails in a wild angle tank.

        Rich

        --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, "Earl Blewett" <micro@...>
        wrote:

        > If you want to kill hydra use 5% flubendazole powder. It doesn't
        kill amano
        > or cherry shrimp but it will kill MTS and pond snails. It leaves a
        residue
        > that kills Nerite snails so if you won't be able to keep them in
        the tank.

        > I have used this a few times to eliminate green and brown hydra.
        >
        > There was a story in the JAKA about hydra and that's where I found
        out about
        > it.
        > I've attached an article about flubendazole.
        >
        > Best wishes,
        >
        > Earl
        > Earl Blewett Ph.D.
        > Associate Professor of Microbiology
        > Dept. of Biochemistry and Microbiology
        > Oklahoma State University
        > Center for Health Sciences
        > College of Osteopathic Medicine
        > 1111 W 17 St. Tulsa, OK 74107
        >
        > Email: micro@...
        > Office: (918) 561-8405
        > FAX: (918) 561-8414

      • Earl Blewett
        Message 3 of 26 , May 1, 2006
          Dear Rich,

          It apparently won't kill ramshorn snails.

          I killed several hundred MTS in a 20 gallon tank. I was doing water changes
          like you wouldn't believe after that to keep the tank clean. I know other
          people have had success with it. It also kill a lot of Physa pond snails. At
          the time I didn't have the red ramshorns.

          It is hard to find but you can buy it from Charley Harrison whose address is
          in the article I attached.

          wrote:

          > If you want to kill hydra use 5% flubendazole powder. It doesn't
          kill amano
          > or cherry shrimp but it will kill MTS and pond snails. It leaves a
          residue
          > that kills Nerite snails so if you won't be able to keep them in
          the tank.

          > I have used this a few times to eliminate green and brown hydra.
          >
          > There was a story in the JAKA about hydra and that's where I found
          out about
          > it.
          > I've attached an article about flubendazole.
          >
          > Best wishes,
          >
          > Earl
          > Earl Blewett Ph.D.
          > Associate Professor of Microbiology
          > Dept. of Biochemistry and Microbiology Oklahoma State University
          > Center for Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine
          > 1111 W 17 St. Tulsa, OK 74107
          >
          > Email: micro@...
          > Office: (918) 561-8405
          > FAX: (918) 561-8414

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • The Harrison's
          Message 4 of 26 , May 1, 2006
            Hello group,

            Flubendazole will kill the snails, most all of them at a high enough
            concentration and left there long enough and that includes all the
            general pond snails as well. The compound is expensive thou and
            generally because it is not sold in the US. Don't know why but it is
            that way. I do have some but it is for specific conditions and not
            recommended for Hydra. Fenbendazole found in Fluke Tabs, etc. works
            just fine and is easy to come by.

            There is a Fluoride substitution in the Flubendazole which makes it
            slightly different from Fenbendazole - which gives it an adsorption
            through the gills, skin, etc. This makes it work to eliminate
            intestinal protozoa without having to be eaten. Specifically for the
            wasting conditions of fish which start losing weight and although
            they pick up food, they spit it out unable to swallow it. There are
            other compounds which work on this condition but they must be eaten
            to kill the Protozoa & cure the problem.

            This could get too deep too quickly, but suffice to say, I would like
            to know if Fluke Tabs at about 1/2 dosage will or will not affect the
            shrimp?

            If you don't have Fluke Tabs, I will send you 1 or 2 for you to try
            an a single fellow and see what happens. The compound will do the
            number on the Hydra though. I have done extensive studies on Hydra -
            it was a High School problem I have been interested since 1961.
            Remedies include, High Temps, low temps. salt beyond sea water conc.,
            copper sulfate(snail rid, etc.) electrical current, electrical
            generation of copper using copper wire and a battery, Quinine
            sulfate, and a dozen other items. The anthelmintics, Fenbendazole
            and Flubendazole stand far and above the other "cures" which have
            been explored. There is just nothing like them when it comes to
            getting rid of Hydra.

            I wonder what the Hydra were eating? Perhaps the young shrimp? What
            do you feed the shrimp?

            Green Hydra often doesn't need very much to live on - it only needs
            strong lighting. The brown or pink verities do need feeding or at
            least a source of protein.

            Hope this helps.
            --
            Change as much water as often as you can!
            Charles Harrison in St Louis
            Message 5 of 26 , May 1, 2006
              Thanks to you both for your informative replies.
              I think what I will do is drop some cooked shrimp in there before
              lights out and get rid of as great a number as I can. Then i'll hit
              them with some flubendazole (i know of a place to get some). i tried
              1/2 dose of fluke tabs on them, and it did nothing.

              Rich
            • Tom Ray
              Message 6 of 26 , May 1, 2006
                In a species: What about Colisa sota/chuna?

                I've gotten these pests before. And then the Honey Gourami (added to
                that tank) seemed to take care of 'em/elimi-ate 'em. I'm not sure
                whether the Colisas will eat Cherry Reds, but I know they didn't mess
                with the Amano Algae-eaters which were in that tank.

                --Tom(myBoy)

                --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, "jkolodzinski" <pluribus18@...>
                wrote:

                > I need to figure out a way to get rid of a bunch of hydras in my
                > planted tank. I am breeding Cherry Red Shrimp in the tank so I can't
                > really introduce any fish that will eat them. Any
                > suggestions???????????????

              • earthgrll
                Message 7 of 26 , May 1, 2006
                  Hi,

                  To kill Hydra, I squirt organic apple cider vinegar directly on them with a turkey baster. It
                  seems to kill them immediately (they just sort of wilt). Just don't overdo it or you will have a
                  very acidic tank. If you have to do a lot of it, I'd do a water change immediately after. Works
                  well in my betta and killie tanks, which are acidic anyway. It will not kill all of the hydra at
                  once, because you need to get it directly on them and you will miss a few, but it will knock
                  them down really well, and if you keep doing it, you can eventually take care of the problem.

                  -Krista

                  --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, "jkolodzinski" <pluribus18@...> wrote:

                  > I need to figure out a way to get rid of a bunch of hydras in my
                  > planted tank. I am breeding Cherry Red Shrimp in the tank so I can't
                  > really introduce any fish that will eat them. Any
                  > suggestions???????????????

                • Tom Ray
                  Message 8 of 26 , May 1, 2006
                    I love your (another natural) way to handle these pests. --Tom(myBoy)

                    --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, "earthgrll" <botanicart@...> wrote:

                    > Hi,
                    >
                    > To kill Hydra, I squirt organic apple cider vinegar directly on them
                    with a turkey baster. It
                    > seems to kill them immediately (they just sort of wilt). Just don't
                    overdo it or you will have a
                    > very acidic tank. If you have to do a lot of it, I'd do a water
                    change immediately after. Works
                    > well in my betta and killie tanks, which are acidic anyway. It will
                    not kill all of the hydra at
                    > once, because you need to get it directly on them and you will miss
                    a few, but it will knock
                    > them down really well, and if you keep doing it, you can eventually
                    take care of the problem.

                    > -Krista
                    >
                    > --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, "jkolodzinski" <pluribus18@>
                    wrote:

                    > > I need to figure out a way to get rid of a bunch of hydras in my
                    > > planted tank. I am breeding Cherry Red Shrimp in the tank so I can't
                    > > really introduce any fish that will eat them. Any
                    > > suggestions???????????????

                  • Gerald Griffin
                    Message 9 of 26 , May 1, 2006
                      So many want to kill them;

                      I love seeing those Freshwater Minature Anemones.  Wish I had a ton of them, then I could corner the market on them on Aquabid.

                      Tom Ray <t_a_ray_cissp@...> wrote:
                      I love your (another natural) way to handle these pests. --Tom(myBoy)

                      --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, "earthgrll" <botanicart@...> wrote:

                      > Hi,
                      >
                      > To kill Hydra, I squirt organic apple cider vinegar directly on them
                      with a turkey baster. It
                      > seems to kill them immediately (they just sort of wilt). Just don't
                      overdo it or you will have a
                      > very acidic tank. If you have to do a lot of it, I'd do a water
                      change immediately after. Works
                      > well in my betta and killie tanks, which are acidic anyway. It will
                      not kill all of the hydra at
                      > once, because you need to get it directly on them and you will miss
                      a few, but it will knock
                      > them down really well, and if you keep doing it, you can eventually
                      take care of the problem.

                      > -Krista
                      >
                      > --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, "jkolodzinski" <pluribus18@>
                      wrote:

                      > > I need to figure out a way to get rid of a bunch of hydras in my
                      > > planted tank. I am breeding Cherry Red Shrimp in the tank so I can't
                      > > really introduce any fish that will eat them. Any
                      > > suggestions???????????????

                    • R. Brice
                      Message 10 of 26 , May 1, 2006
                        While reading Dr Innes book from the late 40's early 50's (reading it about 30 years ago) it described using Quinine sulfate to get rid of Hydra ... 7 grains per 10 gallons I think.  I started using it then and it takes care of them in about 2 days. About 5 years ago I had to find another source for it because the drug stores now needed a prescription to sell it.

                        Funny that I can get it off the shelf at a fish store (along with penicillin and other prescription drugs) but can't get it at a drug store.

                        Richard
                        From: "R. Brice" <Tarmack@...>
                        If you can not find fluke tabs then try to find Quinine sulfate (sold as Quinex).  test it on one or two in a small tank then in the affected tank after a few days.

                        Since you are not feeding the tank anything ... and knowing how small the cherry shrimp babies are... I would say the hydra are eating the baby shrimp.

                        Richard
                        Message 11 of 26 , May 1, 2006
                          If you could 'color' them up
                          with Meth Blue or Xanth....
                          something- imagine Hydra
                          brightly colored and waving in
                          the filter flow.
                          JDKansas
                          --- Gerald Griffin <herpchat@...> wrote:

                          > So many want to kill them;
                          >
                          > I love seeing those Freshwater Minature Anemones. Wish I had a ton of them, then I could corner the market on them on Aquabid.
                        • harry perry
                          Message 12 of 26 , May 1, 2006
                            I don't think so. Would be like selling algae. Of course someone on E-Bay might buy it.

                            Harry

                            schelldweller <d3dd@...> wrote:
                            If you could 'color' them up
                            with Meth Blue or Xanth....
                            something-  imagine Hydra
                            brightly colored and waving in
                            the filter flow.
                            JDKansas
                            --- Gerald Griffin <herpchat@...> wrote:

                            > So many want to kill them;
                            >
                            >   I love seeing those Freshwater Minature Anemones.  Wish I had a ton of them, then I could corner the market on them on Aquabid.

                          • Al Anderson
                            Message 13 of 26 , May 1, 2006
                              Check with your vet he may write the scripts for the fish for free if you show him the books that recommend it also thank him and tell him if it works.
                              My vet does it for me so does my family doctor they even call it in to CVS for me.
                              .
                              AAA

                              From: "R. Brice" <Tarmack@...>

                              Message 14 of 26 , May 1, 2006
                                Feed them live brine shrimp and they will turn pink.

                                >> I love seeing those Freshwater Minature Anemones. Wish I had a ton of
                                >> them, then I could corner the market on them on Aquabid.
                                >

                                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                              • Al Anderson
                                Message 15 of 26 , May 1, 2006
                                  I have a local science teacher that calls me every year for a hydra start and Brine Shrimp to feed them. He also gets killifish eggs. Check in your neighborhood schools the science folks love these items for their classes some even have a budget for these items.
                                  AAA

                                  schelldweller <d3dd@...> wrote:
                                  If you could 'color' them up
                                  with Meth Blue or Xanth....
                                  something-  imagine Hydra
                                  brightly colored and waving in
                                  the filter flow.
                                  JDKansas
                                  --- Gerald Griffin <herpchat@...> wrote:

                                  > So many want to kill them;
                                  >
                                  >   I love seeing those Freshwater Minature Anemones.  Wish I had a ton of them, then I could corner the market on them on Aquabid.

                                • Charles & Sue Harrison
                                  Message 16 of 26 , May 1, 2006
                                    Re: [anubiasdesign] Re: HYRDAS!!!/Selling Hydras?????
                                    I have a local science teacher that calls me every year for a hydra start and Brine Shrimp to feed them. He also gets killifish eggs. Check in your neighborhood schools the science folks love these items for their classes some even have a budget for these items.
                                    AAA
                                    Al,
                                    Didn't we kill them all off?

                                    Charles H