Betta Macrostoma

  • poorlazyboy
    Message 1 of 23 , Aug 18, 2005
      Does anyone have any experience keeping/breeding the betta macrostoma?
    • Kelli
      Message 2 of 23 , Aug 19, 2005
        Hi,

        Just a couple of things to come to mind right off:

        1. You're going to need acidic water, I've got my tanks to about 4.5 ,
        tops a 5.0 reading on hardness.

        2. A larger tank is a necessity in my opinion -- not so much from
        their size, but occasionally they'll swim really fast and either knock
        themselves out or kill themselves with the speed in which they hit the
        glass... I've only heard of this happening a time or two -- but
        something to definitely be aware of.

        3. As pure a water as you can get, with as little TDS as possible, an
        RO/DI unit is just common sense with these guys. Also, if they happen
        to get sick, be carefull what you try to treat them with, as they've
        been known to get really excited with meds. in the water, and if
        there's a hole in the hood, to jump out as opposed to staying in the
        water.

        Last but not least, you I would guess already realize these guys are
        mouthbrooders. If you can keep them happy, healthy, and eating well --
        you should have no problem with them breeding for you!
        --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, "poorlazyboy" <poorlazyboy@y...>
        Message 3 of 23 , Aug 23, 2005
          Generally, temp. wise what I've heard works best is about 76-78 degrees
          F, or 24-26 degrees C.

          HTH,

          Kelli

          wrote:
          > Does anyone have any experience keeping/breeding the betta macrostoma?
        • David Midvidy
          Message 4 of 23 , Sep 16, 2005
            The fish got here in great shape but the larger of the two fish is
            defintitely a male. I am not sure about the samller fish. I will get a
            better look tomorrow. Do you have other females?
          • Donna Smith
            Message 5 of 23 , Sep 17, 2005
              David,
              Those were the only 'females' I had.  The others are all males.  I guess it's time for me to stop trusting the way they're labelled.  I'll have more in on 9/25.  I'll send you another female n/c.
              Sorry,
              Mark

              David Midvidy <dhm325@...> wrote:
              The fish got here in great shape but the larger of the two fish is
              defintitely a male.  I am not sure about the samller fish.  I will get a
              better look tomorrow.  Do you have other females?

              Yahoo! for Good

            • James
              Message 6 of 23 , Jul 24, 2006
                Hey Everyone,
                I have 2 pr. of Macros. I have them in a tank with a UV
                sterlizer. They have some type of disease now. Not sure what it is.
                Each fish has about 4 to 5 spots on their body or fins. Smaller than
                ICK and not as noticable. Thinking velvet, but I have treated them
                with Clout for 3 days with water changes. Tried Wardley's Parasite
                Guard, Attison's Betta Spa with the Almond leaves, and tried Quinine.
                They still are listless and gray looking. They still eat although not
                like the used to. What could it be and how do I get rid of it? They
                scratch themselves and are scaring up their body now. Any help would
                be appreciated.
              • anubiasdesign@comcast.net
                Message 7 of 23 , Jul 24, 2006
                  James,
                  Try General Cure from API.  That usually works really well for me.  I'd also add your choice of Pimafix or Melafix, too.  That combination should knock out just about anything.  I prefer the Pimafix, as it will take care of any secondary fungal infections and is also a pretty effective antibiotic.
                  Good luck,

                  "Where Rare Species Are Common"

                  Message 8 of 23 , Jul 24, 2006
                    UV light can do very bad things to medications. Breaks 'em down and some
                    drugs become quite toxic when this happens. I recommend turning off the UV
                    while the drugs are in your tank. Before turning the UVs back on, remove the
                    remaining chemicals with fresh carbon. This is the procedure we use at work
                    if we MUST use chemicals to treat a system (very rare we ever do). We never
                    use fish drugs with the UVs in operation.

                    JZ <"><

                    GPAS, NWK, RML

                    "I wonder if other dogs think poodles are members of a wierd religious
                    cult." -- Rita Rudner

                  • anubiasdesign@comcast.net
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jul 24, 2006
                      Excellent point, Julie!

                      "Where Rare Species Are Common"

                      From: "Julie Zeppieri" <bowluvr@...>

                      UV light can do very bad things to medications. Breaks 'em down and some
                      drugs become quite toxic when this happens. I recommend turning off the UV
                      while the drugs are in your tank. Before turning the UVs back on, remove the
                      remaining chemicals with fresh carbon. This is the procedure we use at work
                      if we MUST use chemicals to treat a system (very rare we ever do). We never
                      use fish drugs with the UVs in operation.

                      JZ <"><

                      GPAS, NWK, RML

                      "I wonder if other dogs think poodles are members of a wierd religious
                      cult." -- Rita Rudner

                      >From: anubiasdesign@ comcast.net
                      >To: anubiasdesign@ yahoogroups. com
                      >Subject: Re: [anubiasdesign] Betta Macrostoma
                      >Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 01:17:32 + 0000
                      >
                      >James,
                      >Try General Cure from API. That usually works really well for me. I'd
                      >also add your choice of Pimafix or Melafix, too. That combination should
                      >knock out just about anything. I prefer the Pimafix, as it will take care
                      >of any secondary fungal infections and is also a pretty effective
                      >antibiotic.
                      >Good luck,
                      >Mark
                      >
                      >--
                      >Anubias Design
                      >"Where Rare Species Are Common"

                    • Shasta Kuehl
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jul 24, 2006
                        Try Jungle's fungus eliminator that stuff works awesome...careful with the melafix since some bettas cant tolerate it well...also all melafix does is help regrowth I have found the stuff useless as a treatment. Shaz

                      • anubiasdesign@comcast.net
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jul 24, 2006
                          Shaz,
                          I've had very different results with Melafix.  I use it all the time with wild Bettas and have great success with it.

                          "Where Rare Species Are Common"

                          From: Shasta Kuehl <wolfsbettas@...>

                          Try Jungle's fungus eliminator that stuff works awesome...careful with the melafix since some bettas cant tolerate it well...also all melafix does is help regrowth I have found the stuff useless as a treatment. Shaz

                          Julie Zeppieri <bowluvr@...> wrote:

                          UV light can do very bad things to medications. Breaks 'em down and some
                          drugs become quite toxic when this happens. I recommend turning off the UV
                          while the drugs are in your tank. Before turning the UVs back on, remove the
                          remaining chemicals with fresh carbon. This is the procedure we use at work
                          if we MUST use chemicals to treat a system (very rare we ever do). We never
                          use fish drugs with the UVs in operation.

                          JZ <"><

                          GPAS, NWK, RML

                          "I wonder if other dogs think poodles are members of a wierd religious
                          cult." -- Rita Rudner

                          >From: anubiasdesign@ comcast.net
                          >To: anubiasdesign@ yahoogroups. com
                          >Subject: Re: [anubiasdesign] Betta Macrostoma
                          >Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 01:17:32 +0000
                          >
                          >James,
                          >Try General Cure from API. That usually works really well for me. I'd
                          >also add your choice of Pimafix or Melafix, too. That combination should
                          >knock out just about anything. I prefer the Pimafix, as it will take care
                          >of any secondary fungal infections and is also a pretty effective
                          >antibiotic.
                          >Good luck,
                          >Mark
                          >
                          >--
                          >Anubias Design
                          >"Where Rare Species Are Common"

                          How low will we go? Check out Yahoo! Messenger�s low PC-to-Phone call rates.

                        • Julie Zeppieri
                          Message 12 of 23 , Jul 24, 2006
                            <blush>

                            JZ <"><

                            GPAS, NWK, RML
                            "I wonder if other dogs think poodles are members of a wierd religious
                            cult." -- Rita Rudner

                            >From: anubiasdesign@...
                            >To: anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com
                            >Subject: Re: [anubiasdesign] Betta Macrostoma
                            >Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 02:53:09 +0000
                            >
                            >Excellent point, Julie!
                            >Mark
                            >
                            >--
                            >Anubias Design
                            >"Where Rare Species Are Common"

                            >From: "Julie Zeppieri" <bowluvr@...>
                            >
                            >UV light can do very bad things to medications. Breaks 'em down and some
                            >drugs become quite toxic when this happens. I recommend turning off the UV
                            >while the drugs are in your tank. Before turning the UVs back on, remove
                            >the
                            >remaining chemicals with fresh carbon. This is the procedure we use at work
                            >if we MUST use chemicals to treat a system (very rare we ever do). We never
                            >use fish drugs with the UVs in operation.
                            >
                            >JZ <"><
                            >
                            >GPAS, NWK, RML
                            >
                            >"I wonder if other dogs think poodles are members of a wierd religious
                            >cult." -- Rita Rudner
                            >
                            > >From: anubiasdesign@...
                            > >To: anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com
                            > >Subject: Re: [anubiasdesign] Betta Macrostoma
                            > >Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 01:17:32 +0000
                            > >
                            > >James,
                            > >Try General Cure from API. That usually works really well for me. I'd
                            > >also add your choice of Pimafix or Melafix, too. That combination should
                            > >knock out just about anything. I prefer the Pimafix, as it will take care
                            > >of any secondary fungal infections and is also a pretty effective
                            > >antibiotic.
                            > >Good luck,
                            > >Mark
                            > >
                            > >--
                            > >Anubias Design
                            > >"Where Rare Species Are Common"

                          • coryologist
                            Message 13 of 23 , Nov 9, 2006
                              Greetings,

                              I am awaiting the arrival of a pair of these fish, in the next few hours. I have scoured the
                              WWW looking for detailed information on this specie. I have found a great deal of info, but I
                              am very surprised at just how much contradictory information, from one site to the next, I am
                              finding

                              Can anyone here, through personal experience and success with this fish, offer me some
                              definitive, proven info? I would be eternally grateful. Particularly need info on water
                              parameters, temperature variation, size and shape of caves, etc..

                              Pointing me to an accurate, respected source of info, will work just fine for me, as I
                              appreciate how busy we all are. However, if some one here has successfully kept and
                              spawned this fosh, your personal input would be very helpful.

                              TIA.

                              Frank
                            • Myles P Yancey
                              Message 14 of 23 , Dec 2, 2007
                                Hi

                                I'm a new member and was woundering how many people are interrested in
                                Betta macrostoma.

                                myles
                              • nozzgoblin@juno.com
                                Message 15 of 23 , Dec 2, 2007
                                  Hi Miles,
                                  I'm very interested in B.macrostoma and the B.unimaculata complex...but they're outta my pocket range right now...
                                  Tony
                                • Myles P Yancey
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Dec 2, 2007
                                    --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, "nozzgoblin@..." <nozzgoblin@...>
                                    wrote:

                                    > Hi Miles,
                                    > I'm very interested in B.macrostoma and the B.unimaculata
                                    complex...but they're outta my pocket range right now...
                                    > Tony

                                    Hi Tony

                                    I know I just bought some and they will be here in 2 weeks.
                                    Myles
                                  • Larry Tagrin
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Dec 2, 2007
                                      I'm interested in B. Macrostoma, but their price is rediculous.  I bought (from another vendor) what was supposed to be a pair of B. Channoides and wound up with a mature male and an immature male, which has since been killed.

                                      I'd rather buy a half-dozen fry and grow them out myself.  I've done that with lots of fish over the 50+ years I've been in the hobby and it's the best way I've found to get good breeding stock.

                                    • Myles Yancey
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Dec 2, 2007
                                        Hi Larry

                                           sorry to hear about the problems with the bettas, all I doing is trying to find people how have raised them, so that I can learn from them.
                                        I am new to raising this type of betta.
                                        Myles
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Apr 19, 2008
                                          hello guys,

                                          I'm currently breeding betta macrostoma and betta rubra.

                                          my thread that I shared my experience on UB
                                          http://www.ultimatebettas.com/index.php?showtopic=17567

                                          my mac video, I haven't make any video of my rubra yet.
                                          http://www.youtube.com/user/bentusitheunbound

                                          this is my gallery
                                          http://vivianstudio.com/proofs/spawned-10-25-2007
                                          http://vivianstudio.com/proofs/betta-macrostoma-3-months-old-fry

                                          thank you

                                          --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, "Myles Yancey" <yanceymp@...>

                                        • joesbirds@aol.com
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Apr 19, 2008
                                            Hello

                                            this is the message I get when trying to access the gallery     " The album or photo that you were attempting to view either does not exist, or requires user privileges that you do not possess. Log in and try again. "

                                            wrote:

                                            > Hi Larry
                                            >
                                            > sorry to hear about the problems with the bettas, all I doing is
                                            trying to find people how have raised them, so that I can learn from
                                            them.
                                            > I am new to raising this type of betta.
                                            > Myles

                                          • Cody
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Jan 31, 2012
                                              I'm really into betta keeping and breeding, and have wanted to delve into wild types for some time. The crown jewel of wild types of course would seem to be B. macrostoma. They seem impossible to find however. Are they a threatened species, or have import restraints? Does anyone know the story.

                                              I'm not actually ready to buy a pair, I want to expieriment with a similar less expensive mouth brooding betta first before taking that leap.
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Feb 1, 2012
                                                They are available this week.

                                                There are collection limits.  The biggest threat to them in the wild is probably habitat loss.
                                                If you're new to Bettas, I would suggest the following progression:
                                                1 - one of the easy mouthbrooders, such as falx, edithae, pugnax or similar species
                                                2 - channoides or albimarginata
                                                3 - foerschi complex species or unimaculata complex species
                                                4 - macrostoma

                                                One of the keys to success with macrostoma is the initial water conditions.  You have to understand the requirements of black water fish.  Keeping licorice gouramies is also a good step towards macs.  Keys are soft, extremely acidic water with resulting very low bacteria count.  Efficient mechanical and chemical filtration - biological filtration is not effective in these water conditions.  Lots of hiding places and a very tight fitting cover are also important.

                                                I'm really into betta keeping and breeding, and have wanted to delve into wild types for some time. The crown jewel of wild types of course would seem to be B. macrostoma. They seem impossible to find however. Are they a threatened species, or have import restraints? Does anyone know the story.

                                                I'm not actually ready to buy a pair, I want to expieriment with a similar less expensive mouth brooding betta first before taking that leap.

                                              • harry perry
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Feb 1, 2012
                                                  Mark offers them from time to time. Really expensive.

                                                  Harry