Eclipse tanks-opinions

  • starrfish71
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 1, 2006
      I wondered what everyone's opinion or experiences with these tanks
      are:
      I had an Eclipse hood in the past on a regular 15 gallon tank- I
      liked that set up, all though, once it broke down, it was DONE>

      About 6 months ago I succumbed to a 5 gallon, all-in-one desk top
      set up- for starters, everytime the light was on, the tank would
      heat up DRAMATICALLY- I'm talking going from 75*F to 85* F in an
      hour. Then, in matter of weeks, the light switch broke, so in
      order to turn the light on and off, I had to use the plug as my
      on/off.
      I was unable to keep ANYTHING alive in it- I initially bought it
      to keep tiny dwarf puffers in- two- no deal. I then tried fancy
      guppies,a pair, no good. I then tried a single pet-store betta- it
      didn't survive. I then dumped a few feeder guppies in there, never
      turned the light on, and just let them be. About 6 of them lived for
      a few months, before I moved them to a different tank.

      I guess my experience is the light is too hot, and the filter is
      not sufficient.

      anyone have experience to share?
    • Scott Jacobson
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 1, 2006
        I have one of the original eclipse 15 gallon setups. Generally I have been pleased with it and have had no problems. I think some of the newer models and tanks are not put together as well as the older, original components and tanks.

        Scott

        >>> starrfish71@... 02/01/06 10:51 AM >>>

      • BigJohnW@Webtv.net
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 1, 2006
          Personally , i think for the money that is spent on those ONe Unit
          Eclipse things, it could be spent better buying a regular tank, hood and
          heater... Plus buying a regular set up is cheaper leaving you some
          money for fish! I looked at one of those 10gallon Eclipse set ups and
          decided after a few minutes NOT to buy one.... guess i've made the right
          choice. I hear too many problems with the lights and heaters not
          working correctly.

          Then again, this is just my opinion..

          John
        • wendie
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 1, 2006
            I haven't had any problems with it either - I accidentally put too much water in one time and shorted out my electrical plug - and it's been running about a year now.  It's very heavily planted so it's hard checking on everyone but at last count everyone was still there last week - 3 ottos, 5 female vt bettas, 1 female hm betta, 2 female plakats, 3 golden wonder (I'd like to murder) killies.  It does tend to keep the water very warm so I have to unplug the heater every now and then.  I do like having everything in one unit compared to the other tanks.  My only real complaint is that since it's not a glass tank cleaning off the sides is not the easiest thing.  I'll be switching over to a couple of larger glass tanks for my loaches shortly simply because of the ability to clean the glass.   I have a lot of natural light coming into the room and hard water which I've heard causes that problem.

            I might add that I used to keep the hatch of the hood open most of the time until the golden wonder killies arrived in October.  A gift..
            Wendie

            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 1, 2006
              we did great with an eclipse 12 for a couple
              of years.... only plants were limited to low
              light.. (with the exceptoin of ludwiga repens
              that grew well in that tank)

              heating up wasn't much of a problem, tho if
              the house was already warm I'd open the
              access hole to help keep things cool.

              6 gallons is a tough tank to keep. the
              smallest issue becomes catestrophic

              To: anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com
              From: "starrfish71" <starrfish71@...>
              Date sent: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 15:51:16 -0000
              Subject: [anubiasdesign] Eclipse tanks-opinions
              Send reply to: anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com

              > I wondered what everyone's opinion or experiences with these tanks
              > are:
              > I had an Eclipse hood in the past on a regular 15 gallon tank- I
              > liked that set up, all though, once it broke down, it was DONE>
              >
              > About 6 months ago I succumbed to a 5 gallon, all-in-one desk top
              > set up- for starters, everytime the light was on, the tank would heat
              > up DRAMATICALLY- I'm talking going from 75*F to 85* F in an hour.
              > Then, in matter of weeks, the light switch broke, so in order to turn
              > the light on and off, I had to use the plug as my on/off.
              > I was unable to keep ANYTHING alive in it- I initially bought it to
              > keep tiny dwarf puffers in- two- no deal. I then tried fancy
              > guppies,a pair, no good. I then tried a single pet-store betta- it
              > didn't survive. I then dumped a few feeder guppies in there, never
              > turned the light on, and just let them be. About 6 of them lived for a
              > few months, before I moved them to a different tank.
              >
              > I guess my experience is the light is too hot, and the filter is not
              > sufficient.
              >
              > anyone have experience to share?
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

              "After all, submarining has always been a
              game of Blind Man's Bluff."
              -- a top submarine admiral

              Sherry@...
            • FortWayneFish@aol.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 1, 2006
                We have a pair of Dwarf Puffers in a 6 gallon Eclipse with some  Holey Rock, 2 anubias plants that have taken off, and a small batch of Salvinia that the feeder guppies love and have used to reproduce a couple times.  The system was used when we got it and its been running probally 3 years now with no major problems.

                We found a few Eclipse  tanks in the 1.5- 6 gallon variety last year while attending Yard Sales. I am using these mainly as Livebearer  maturnity tanks without filteration.

                Robert Renfro
                NE Indiana
                http://midwestcichlid.com

                In a message dated 2/1/2006 10:52:39 AM US Eastern Standard Time, starrfish71@... writes:

                I wondered what everyone's opinion or experiences with these tanks
                are:
                 I had an Eclipse hood in the past on a regular 15 gallon tank- I
                liked that set up, all though, once it broke down, it was DONE>

              • kristopher helsing

                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 1, 2006
                      I still have the original bulb. I would love to replace it with a
                      less wattage bulb, but I honestly don't know what is safe. I bought
                      the tank becuase It seemed ideal for a small, single species tank....

                      --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, Jim Hinkle
                      <heartcityaquariumservices@...> wrote:

                      > Were you using standard halogen bulbs, or the bulbs, or the "mini
                      fluorescent" screw-in bulbs. My experience is same as yours with
                      latter mentioned bulb.

                      > starrfish71 <starrfish71@...> wrote: I wondered what
                      everyone's opinion or experiences with these tanks
                      > are:
                      > I had an Eclipse hood in the past on a regular 15 gallon tank-
                      > liked that set up, all though, once it broke down, it was DONE>
                      >
                      > About 6 months ago I succumbed to a 5 gallon, all-in-one desk
                      top
                      > set up- for starters, everytime the light was on, the tank
                      would
                      > heat up DRAMATICALLY- I'm talking going from 75*F to 85* F in
                      an
                      > hour. Then, in matter of weeks, the light switch broke, so in
                      > order to turn the light on and off, I had to use the plug as my
                      > on/off.
                      > I was unable to keep ANYTHING alive in it- I initially bought
                      it
                      > to keep tiny dwarf puffers in- two- no deal. I then tried fancy
                      > guppies,a pair, no good. I then tried a single pet-store betta-
                      it
                      > didn't survive. I then dumped a few feeder guppies in there,
                      never
                      > turned the light on, and just let them be. About 6 of them lived
                      for
                      > a few months, before I moved them to a different tank.
                      >
                      > I guess my experience is the light is too hot, and the filter
                      is
                      > not sufficient.
                      >
                      > anyone have experience to share?

                      > Aquarium
                      plant Aquarium
                      fishes Craft
                      hobby
                      Hobby and craft
                      supply
                      Aquarium
                      Hobby

                      Service.

                    • ImGngCrzy@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 1, 2006
                        My mother in law keeps an african clawed frog in the 12, and so far has had no problems.
                        And she recieved the tank used.

                        Tricia
                      • Gary Hoover

                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 1, 2006
                            my eclipse filter died and it turned out
                            working the impeller a little brought it back..
                            of course elipse was already sending me a
                            spare filter before I realized that..

                            the customer service is pretty good, they are
                            generous with parts in the first year.

                            To: anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com
                            From: Gary Hoover <gmh52389@...>
                            Date sent: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 13:53:55 -0800 (PST)

                            wrote:
[...]

                            Bring words and photos together (easily)
                            with
                            PhotoMail - it's free and works with
                            Yahoo! Mail.

                            Yahoo! Autos. Looking for a sweet ride? Get
                            pricing, reviews, & more on new and used
                            cars.

                            Aquarium plant
                            Aquarium fishes
                            Craft hobby

                            Hobby and craft supply
                            Aquarium
                            Hobby

                            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                            * Visit your group "anubiasdesign" on the web.

                            Terms of Service.

                            "After all, submarining has always been a
                            game of Blind Man's Bluff."
                            -- a top submarine admiral

                            Sherry@...
                          • Ivan White (Aqua-Hobbyist)
                            Message 13 of 14 , Feb 2, 2006
                              When I had the 12 gallon set up I had no problem with lights overheating or making the water too warm.  I have a six gallon and also have no problem with it, my temp in both tanks stayed about 78 all the time.  So your case is rather unusual I think.

                              I took the twelve gallon down and am selling it as I do not like the shape of it, does not fit where I want it, but it is in excellent condition if anyone is interested.  It is 3 weeks old and brand new with extra florescent bulb and filter pads.  I paid over $100.00 for it three weeks ago and will sell it for $65.00 + postage, eclipse system 12...

                              Ivan
[...]

                              Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                            • Jim Hinkle