Re: [anubiasdesign] Re: Dwarf Gourami Disease

  • Jim Rake
    Message 1 of 8 , May 15 7:49 AM
      I wonder whether the problems with Dwarf Gouramis is, ironically, a result of how easy it is to breed these little beauties. Because they can be bred by the most rank beginner, there may have been little need for frequent re-introductions from wild stocks. If so, then it is quite possible that the hobbyist population traces back to a very few 'founder' individuals, and is by now very deeply in-bred.

      Anyone who is familiar with the 'Breed Dog' world knows of dog breeds whose stud book traces back to a literal handful of individuals, and which is now plagued by genetic diseases which were 'fixed' in the breed by this "founder effect". The cure for this (which, of course the kennel clubs forbid since the progeny would not be "purebred") is to out-breed to healthier stock.

      Perhaps there needs to be a focus on new importation from wild stocks of Dwarfs?

      Jim R.

      Sent from my iPad

      On May 14, 2013, at 8:11 PM, "None" <sherryazure@...> wrote:

      > When I was younger (60 now) these fish as well as most all others (think guppies and how "fragile" they are now) were so much studier...in breeding, over breeding so on... Try to buy local if you can. I had these and others that lasted for years and years.... got from local lady who bred them in her greenhouse...
      >

      > --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, harry perry <harryfisherman@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> I really like gouramis. Seems like they don't last very long. When I researched this I came across dwarf gourami disease. Supposedly doesn't effect flame gouramis. Does anyone know anything about this?.
      >>
      >> Also I'm resetting up my fish room. I'm tired of the same old fish in the pet stores. When I keep fish I also like to breed them.
      >>
      >> I'm setting up 1 30 gal. and 5 ten gallons. I used the 10 gallons as a species tank in the past. 1 pair 1 tank situation. Any ideas, recommendations, websites would be appreciated.
      >>
      >> Thanks
      >>
      >> Harry

    • donna joanna
      Message 2 of 8 , May 15 5:48 PM
        delicate bread and butter fish:       I bought some imported Sumatra Kuhli Loaches from Mark.  I wanted Kuhli Loaches again & I'd read so much about today's Kuhli Loaches simply dying in today's aquariums.
        The dozen I bought a year (or 2?) from Mark are doing just fine   :-)      Don't know if it's luck or if these fish came from the wild and bypassed exposure to fish farm Loaches....
        When I was younger (60  now)  these fish as well as most all others (think guppies and how "fragile" they are now) were so much studier...in breeding, over breeding so on... Try to buy local if you can. I had these and others that lasted for years and years.... got from local lady who bred them in her greenhouse...

        --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, harry perry <harryfisherman@...> wrote:

        > I really like gouramis. Seems like they don't last very long. When I researched this I came across dwarf gourami disease. Supposedly doesn't effect flame gouramis. Does anyone know anything about this?.
        >
        > Also I'm resetting up my fish room. I'm tired of the same old fish in the pet stores. When I keep fish I also like to breed them.
        >
        > I'm setting up 1 30 gal. and 5 ten gallons. I used the 10 gallons as a species tank in the past. 1 pair 1 tank situation. Any ideas, recommendations, websites would be appreciated.
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Harry

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            anubiasdesign-digest@yahoogroups.com
            anubiasdesign-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Message 3 of 8 , May 15 7:19 PM
          I think it's probably more like 3 years now...

          Or check us out on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/404408802964088/