Re: [anubiasdesign] Turface Pro League - Red

  • Shaun Johnson
    Message 1 of 5 , May 5 7:16 PM
      Flourite was an option I was thinking of as well, but I'm going for a certain look. So I wanted to use the Turface as a "base" substrate and then, a #3 gravel of my color choice on top of it (adding in seachem root tabs, tetra Initial Sticks and tetra NitrateMinus pearls to the gravel for extra nutrients and prohibit algae growth) so it's more aesthetically pleasing. A #3 gravel has smaller particles than Seachem flourite so, from what I heard, it would sink to the bottom eventually, which is what I wanted to avoid. And Seachem flourite is just too harsh looking to have as a standalone substrate to me this time around.

      On May 5, 2013, at 6:59 PM, Terry Barber wrote:

      Hi Shaun,

      I have used this substrate and currently have one tank with the red color.   It is ok and very cheap.   I found that the red sheds a lot of fine particles and after years of use I still suck up tons of red dust with a gravel clean.  To be honest, I have had better luck growing plants in plain old pea gravel (river stones) from Home Depot.   I have another tank with Seachem flourite and the plants seem to grow better in this compared to the turface - it is expensive compared to turface or pea stones.

      TerryB

      On 05/05/2013 8:56 PM, Shaun Johnson wrote:

      Hello:

      So Im about to start up my planted aquarium again, and I was going to finally put down the substrate of SoilMaster Select. Since it was discontinued, I was told that Turface would work. In any event, I was doing some research and found the following information on Turface. It says it contains Crystalline Silica (Quartz) at 1%-5% and I just wanted to be sure this is not hazardous to the fish. Please advise.

      Thanks,

      Shaun Johnson

    • Gerald
      Message 2 of 5 , May 6 1:23 PM
        Turface (also sold as Schultz aquatic plant soil) is fired clay and annoyingly light weight if used by itself. It may rise up through denser gravel placed on top if anything disturbs it (fish, inverts or you). If you can keep from disturbing it until your plants develop a dense root network to hold it down, it will work.

        --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, Shaun Johnson <shaun.johnson2007@...> wrote:

        > Flourite was an option I was thinking of as well, but I'm going for a certain look. So I wanted to use the Turface as a "base" substrate and then, a #3 gravel of my color choice on top of it (adding in seachem root tabs, tetra Initial Sticks and tetra NitrateMinus pearls to the gravel for extra nutrients and prohibit algae growth) so it's more aesthetically pleasing. A #3 gravel has smaller particles than Seachem flourite so, from what I heard, it would sink to the bottom eventually, which is what I wanted to avoid. And Seachem flourite is just too harsh looking to have as a standalone substrate to me this time around.
        >

        > On May 5, 2013, at 6:59 PM, Terry Barber wrote:
        >
        > > Hi Shaun,
        > >
        > > I have used this substrate and currently have one tank with the red color. It is ok and very cheap. I found that the red sheds a lot of fine particles and after years of use I still suck up tons of red dust with a gravel clean. To be honest, I have had better luck growing plants in plain old pea gravel (river stones) from Home Depot. I have another tank with Seachem flourite and the plants seem to grow better in this compared to the turface - it is expensive compared to turface or pea stones.
        > >
        > > TerryB
        > >

        > > On 05/05/2013 8:56 PM, Shaun Johnson wrote:
        > >>
        > >> Hello:
        > >>
        > >> So Im about to start up my planted aquarium again, and I was going to finally put down the substrate of SoilMaster Select. Since it was discontinued, I was told that Turface would work. In any event, I was doing some research and found the following information on Turface. It says it contains Crystalline Silica (Quartz) at 1%-5% and I just wanted to be sure this is not hazardous to the fish. Please advise.
        > >>
        > >> Thanks,
        > >>
        > >> Shaun Johnson

      • Bailin Shaw
        Message 3 of 5 , May 6 3:05 PM
          Depending on how large your tank is, why use Turface.  I've used just about ever type of substrate/gravel out there including Flourite, Turface, Eco Complete, Florabase, Sand, etc. etc.  The best combination that I've used and one I've set up my most recent tank with is a base layer of ADA Amazonia Aquasoil with a cap of Seachem Fluorite Black Gravel.  The Fluurite Black is MUCH nicer than the original Fluorite in that it's more uniform in size and color, but still has a higher CEC than regular gravel.  Instead of adding all the "stuff" in the bottom layer, you can get all of that in a substrate that is perfect for the plants right at the outset.  The ADA Aquasoil is a bit more costly in the initial startup, but you won't have to add that other stuff and the plants start off with a big advantage over something along the lines of Turface.  Because it's a clay based substrate with embedded nutrients, the plants start off with a place to adhere where nutrients are bioavailable.

          Just my $0.02.

          Bailin Shaw
          www.aquatic-gardeners.com

          To: anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com