Re: Dwarf Gourami Disease

  • Gerald
    Message 1 of 8 , May 3, 2013
      I seriously doubt that claim. "Flame" is just a color morph of dwarf gourami and it would be quite a remarkable coincidence if the "flame" color genes were somehow linked to resistance to the dwarf gourami virus. Many of the dwarfs I see in shops appear to be infected with Mycobacterium (pink sores on body, head, jaws, anus) which ALL fish - fresh and salt - can get infected with. I suspect Myco gets confused a lot with D.G.Virus because Myco is so prevalent in dwarfs, and I'm guessing that fish infected with the virus may be more susceptible to Myco.

      --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, harry perry <harryfisherman@...> wrote:

      > I really like gouramis. Seems like they don't last very long. When I researched this I came across dwarf gourami disease. Supposedly doesn't effect flame gouramis. Does anyone know anything about this?.
      >
      > Also I'm resetting up my fish room. I'm tired of the same old fish in the pet stores. When I keep fish I also like to breed them.
      >
      > I'm setting up 1 30 gal. and 5 ten gallons. I used the 10 gallons as a species tank in the past. 1 pair 1 tank situation. Any ideas, recommendations, websites would be appreciated.
      >
      > Thanks
      >
      > Harry

    • harry perry
      Message 2 of 8 , May 3, 2013
        Is there a Gourami that is resistant to to DGD.

        Also any suggestions for populating theses tanks.

        Thanks

        Harry

        I seriously doubt that claim. "Flame" is just a color morph of dwarf gourami and it would be quite a remarkable coincidence if the "flame" color genes were somehow linked to resistance to the dwarf gourami virus. Many of the dwarfs I see in shops appear to be infected with Mycobacterium (pink sores on body, head, jaws, anus) which ALL fish - fresh and salt - can get infected with. I suspect Myco gets confused a lot with D.G.Virus because Myco is so prevalent in dwarfs, and I'm guessing that fish infected with the virus may be more susceptible to Myco.

        --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, harry perry <harryfisherman@...> wrote:

        > I really like gouramis. Seems like they don't last very long. When I researched this I came across dwarf gourami disease. Supposedly doesn't effect flame gouramis. Does anyone know anything about this?.
        >
        > Also I'm resetting up my fish room. I'm tired of the same old fish in the pet stores. When I keep fish I also like to breed them.
        >
        > I'm setting up 1 30 gal. and 5 ten gallons. I used the 10 gallons as a species tank in the past. 1 pair 1 tank situation. Any ideas, recommendations, websites would be appreciated.
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Harry

      • Jim Rake

          I seriously doubt that claim. "Flame" is just a color morph of dwarf gourami and it would be quite a remarkable coincidence if the "flame" color genes were somehow linked to resistance to the dwarf gourami virus. Many of the dwarfs I see in shops appear to be infected with Mycobacterium (pink sores on body, head, jaws, anus) which ALL fish - fresh and salt - can get infected with. I suspect Myco gets confused a lot with D.G.Virus because Myco is so prevalent in dwarfs, and I'm guessing that fish infected with the virus may be more susceptible to Myco.

          --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, harry perry <harryfisherman@...> wrote:

          > I really like gouramis. Seems like they don't last very long. When I researched this I came across dwarf gourami disease. Supposedly doesn't effect flame gouramis. Does anyone know anything about this?.
          >
          > Also I'm resetting up my fish room. I'm tired of the same old fish in the pet stores. When I keep fish I also like to breed them.
          >
          > I'm setting up 1 30 gal. and 5 ten gallons. I used the 10 gallons as a species tank in the past. 1 pair 1 tank situation. Any ideas, recommendations, websites would be appreciated.
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          > Harry

        • None
          Message 4 of 8 , May 14, 2013
            When I was younger (60 now) these fish as well as most all others (think guppies and how "fragile" they are now) were so much studier...in breeding, over breeding so on... Try to buy local if you can. I had these and others that lasted for years and years.... got from local lady who bred them in her greenhouse...

            --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, harry perry <harryfisherman@...> wrote:

            > I really like gouramis. Seems like they don't last very long. When I researched this I came across dwarf gourami disease. Supposedly doesn't effect flame gouramis. Does anyone know anything about this?.
            >
            > Also I'm resetting up my fish room. I'm tired of the same old fish in the pet stores. When I keep fish I also like to breed them.
            >
            > I'm setting up 1 30 gal. and 5 ten gallons. I used the 10 gallons as a species tank in the past. 1 pair 1 tank situation. Any ideas, recommendations, websites would be appreciated.
            >
            > Thanks
            >
            > Harry

          • Jim Rake
            Message 5 of 8 , May 15, 2013
              I wonder whether the problems with Dwarf Gouramis is, ironically, a result of how easy it is to breed these little beauties. Because they can be bred by the most rank beginner, there may have been little need for frequent re-introductions from wild stocks. If so, then it is quite possible that the hobbyist population traces back to a very few 'founder' individuals, and is by now very deeply in-bred.

              Anyone who is familiar with the 'Breed Dog' world knows of dog breeds whose stud book traces back to a literal handful of individuals, and which is now plagued by genetic diseases which were 'fixed' in the breed by this "founder effect". The cure for this (which, of course the kennel clubs forbid since the progeny would not be "purebred") is to out-breed to healthier stock.

              Perhaps there needs to be a focus on new importation from wild stocks of Dwarfs?

              Jim R.

              Sent from my iPad

              On May 14, 2013, at 8:11 PM, "None" <sherryazure@...> wrote:

              > When I was younger (60 now) these fish as well as most all others (think guppies and how "fragile" they are now) were so much studier...in breeding, over breeding so on... Try to buy local if you can. I had these and others that lasted for years and years.... got from local lady who bred them in her greenhouse...
              >

              > --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, harry perry <harryfisherman@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> I really like gouramis. Seems like they don't last very long. When I researched this I came across dwarf gourami disease. Supposedly doesn't effect flame gouramis. Does anyone know anything about this?.
              >>
              >> Also I'm resetting up my fish room. I'm tired of the same old fish in the pet stores. When I keep fish I also like to breed them.
              >>
              >> I'm setting up 1 30 gal. and 5 ten gallons. I used the 10 gallons as a species tank in the past. 1 pair 1 tank situation. Any ideas, recommendations, websites would be appreciated.
              >>
              >> Thanks
              >>
              >> Harry

            • donna joanna
              Message 6 of 8 , May 15, 2013
                delicate bread and butter fish:       I bought some imported Sumatra Kuhli Loaches from Mark.  I wanted Kuhli Loaches again & I'd read so much about today's Kuhli Loaches simply dying in today's aquariums.
                The dozen I bought a year (or 2?) from Mark are doing just fine   :-)      Don't know if it's luck or if these fish came from the wild and bypassed exposure to fish farm Loaches....
                When I was younger (60  now)  these fish as well as most all others (think guppies and how "fragile" they are now) were so much studier...in breeding, over breeding so on... Try to buy local if you can. I had these and others that lasted for years and years.... got from local lady who bred them in her greenhouse...

                --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, harry perry <harryfisherman@...> wrote:

                > I really like gouramis. Seems like they don't last very long. When I researched this I came across dwarf gourami disease. Supposedly doesn't effect flame gouramis. Does anyone know anything about this?.
                >
                > Also I'm resetting up my fish room. I'm tired of the same old fish in the pet stores. When I keep fish I also like to breed them.
                >
                > I'm setting up 1 30 gal. and 5 ten gallons. I used the 10 gallons as a species tank in the past. 1 pair 1 tank situation. Any ideas, recommendations, websites would be appreciated.
                >
                > Thanks
                >
                > Harry

                <*> Your email settings:
                    Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                    (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:
                    anubiasdesign-digest@yahoogroups.com
                    anubiasdesign-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                Message 7 of 8 , May 15, 2013
                  I think it's probably more like 3 years now...

                  Or check us out on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/404408802964088/