Re: [anubiasdesign] Re: Lowering pH in a Holding Tank

  • Melissa
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 18, 2013
      I may have completely missed the point, but what's wrong with mixing your tap with rain water?

      On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 5:13 PM, David Williams <ingg1196@...> wrote:

      CO2 is an artificial change. It is also a change that happens every day in nature, natural environments often show drastic PH swings from day to night as flora is active or not, temperature swings, etc.

      Simply meaning what fish, and in particular the breeding of fish, more often care about is water softness or hardness. CO2 injection doesn't change that.

      Personally I've been told before and tend to believe that the whole PH as a measure for adequacy of water for a particular fish was a (misguided) attempt by brick and mortar stores to give people a quick, easy, and inexpensive test for their water at home to find if their water was soft or hard.

      Why would brick and mortar do that? 99% of the people out there don't tweak water at all - hence, PH tests become a test that might actually give some rudimentary knowledge to a store owner of the customer's water at home. However, the reality for more detailed and advanced aquarists is that you can tweak the bejeasus out of PH is you want to, CO2 being one way - but not change if it is liquid concrete or softer than a pillow.

      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 19, 2013
        Not a thing, Melissa.  Lots of people do it that way.

        Or check us out on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/404408802964088/

        I may have completely missed the point, but what's wrong with mixing your tap with rain water?

      • dan_mcmonigle
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 19, 2013
          I don't understand in what sense CO2 is artificial. Natural water supplies contain CO2, some like the one available to me, to the point they bubble like a carbonated beverage. Plants (flora) absorb CO2 more efficiently at night and so they do not become completely inactive. They stop producing oxygen. In fact some plants from hot climates where the energy cost of absorbing CO2 during the day is high, only absorb CO2 at night. The pH swings on a daily cycle may not be directly a result of CO2 absorption since plants don't stop absorbing CO2 just because it gets dark.

          --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, "David Williams" <ingg1196@...> wrote:

          > CO2 is an artificial change. It is also a change that happens every day in
          > nature, natural environments often show drastic PH swings from day to night
          > as flora is active or not, temperature swings, etc.
        • Larry Vires
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 19, 2013
            I think what was trying to be said is CO2 levels in nature are very dependent upon the type and amount of buffers in the system.  This is why a lot of the older aquarium books use the infamous chart with KH and pH to figure CO2 levels.  It's accurate to a very close margin, but doesn't apply to systems with injected CO2 because one of the parameters is altered.  This is also why drop checkers can be used on those tanks .  If the injected CO2 were turned off, the system would stabilize to its natural level within a few hours.

            Larry

            I don't understand in what sense CO2 is artificial. Natural water supplies contain CO2, some like the one available to me, to the point they bubble like a carbonated beverage. Plants (flora) absorb CO2 more efficiently at night and so they do not become completely inactive. They stop producing oxygen. In fact some plants from hot climates where the energy cost of absorbing CO2 during the day is high, only absorb CO2 at night. The pH swings on a daily cycle may not be directly a result of CO2 absorption since plants don't stop absorbing CO2 just because it gets dark.

            --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, "David Williams" <ingg1196@...> wrote:

            > CO2 is an artificial change. It is also a change that happens every day in
            > nature, natural environments often show drastic PH swings from day to night
            > as flora is active or not, temperature swings, etc.

          • David Williams
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 20, 2013

              Exactly, Larry, thank you.

              I just meant using CO2 to alter PH doesn't do a thing to make water soft or hard - and it is the water being soft or hard that fish (and inverts) care about, not the PH readings.

              Let me put it in an example. I'm a planted tank guy, and while I don't look to breed a lot of fish, I do like for my little inverts to multiply....Keep in mind - I can make the PH readings whatever I want - almost all of my tanks have CO2 being injected in them.

              Crystal Red Shrimp want soft water and the right water temperatures  or they don't breed. If I don't use a lot of rainwater or another source of soft water in my water changes, they won't breed. If the water gets too warm, they won't breed. Period.... and it doesn't matter if I crank CO2 and bring PH down or not.

              Why? They want cool, soft water. Dropping the PH via CO2 didn't change their need, nor did it change whether the water was soft or hard - it is an artificial change I create with the CO2. I can crank CO2 to whatever PH you want. Short of making the water carbonated and therefore poisonous, of course, I can make it "look" as soft as you can possibly imagine... but KH is KH, hardness is hardness, and that is more often what the livestock really care about. NOT PH.

              Now, in a system devoid of altering mechanisms -devoid of things like me injecting CO2 in my tanks - PH readings can often show you whether water is hard or soft (unless you got some REALLY funky water, like where those Sulawesi shrimp come from). I say most often, because even then, there are variations depending on the old triangle Larry refers to of GH/KH/PH. But a method that knocks that triangle out of whack (CO2 injection, a boatload of newer driftwood leaching tannins,  or the wide swings in PH that happen in say, the tributaries in Houston's natural waters) doesn't change the other two legs... and it is the other two legs that matter for livestock. Make better sense?