Re: Early dwarf gourami deaths

  • Gerald
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 2, 2013
      Besides raw sores on the head/body and spinal deformity, other symptoms of Mycobacterium infection ("Fish TB") can include jaw deformity and deterioration, bloating or wasting, loss of fin control (often the pectoral fin), and loss of pigment control (lightening or darkening on part of the body). Mycobacterium can infect ALL fish, but dwarf gouramis, rainbowfish, and certain soft-water cichlids (rams, angels, apistos, pelvicachromis) are especially prone to it. It is NOT the same disease as "Dwarf Gourami Disease" (virus) which seems to only infect dwarf gouramis (so far). There is no effective treatment against either of these diseases, so unfortunately you cannot "rule out" disease by treating fish with a broad range of meds.

      --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, Dave Lee <dave020656@...> wrote:

      > Signs of TB are pink, or white lesions on fish that grow larger with time. Also crooking of the spine.

    • Colin
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 13, 2013
        The Dwarf Gourami iridovirus, noted in 1993 after some mass deaths in Florida fish farms the previous year, seems to be specific to Trichogaster species. A 2003 Australian test found the virus in 22% of the fish inspected. Check "Dwarf Gourami iridovirus" at GoogleScholar.