Re: [anubiasdesign] Re: Aquascpaing pt. 2: Automatic Fertilizer Dosing?

  • Shaun Johnson
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 31, 2012
      While takin the time to dose is idyllic, sometimes it's just not practical for myself. I wish I had more of a routine, but my days are so sporadic someone's in out the door at 5am and others I'm not leaving until 8am.
      I guess my question in "eyeballing" the plants is how
      can you tell when plants need more of what chemical? (i.e. Turing brown means they need more phosphate or turning yellow means more trace)? I have been on other message boards but it's so much information it actually overwhelms me to be honest. I just want some straight up answers of what to dose my 100 gal tank.

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Aug 29, 2012, at 5:29 AM, "igsterious" <markverduin08@...> wrote:

      I just make it a part of my daily routine. In my 55 planted tank I add 1 tsp each of macro and micro nutrients, pre mixed and dissolved in DH2O(I use the PPS-Pro method). I got the chems online and my first batch of 1 litre lasted me 6 months. What I do is when I come downstairs to eat breakfast before going to work, I grab the measuring spoon & the two bottles from the fridge...pop open the filter top( an EMperor 400), measure out the liquid, pour it in, close the top, put the chems away, eat breakfast, and then right before I go out the door I turn on the lights & feed the fish.

      IMO nothing can substitute a daily eyeballling of the tank before leaving for work...

      Mark V.

      --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, Shaun Johnson <shaun.johnson2007@...> wrote:

      > IS there anything that will automatically dose my planted tank with the macro/micros (dry or liquid)? I've looked up a couple but I don't seem to see one that would be affective.

    • Corey W
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 1, 2012

        I don't have the numbers handy but my local plant group gave me a listing of the ideal nutrients levels to have in the tank and I keep it next to my test kit. I regularly test and adjust dosing as needed. You can probably autodose as long as you regularly test and make sure all the plants are happy, and adjust levels as needed ( if you're being hands off I would want to get in there weekly for a test and trim). Testing levels will probably tell you about issues before plants will - ideally you want to catch it before it influences the plants.

      • Norman Waaks
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 1, 2012
          Those would be good numbers to have.

          Norman Waaks
          M: 336.337.6730
        • Shaun Johnson
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 6, 2012
            I would LOVE to have a list like that handy for myself.
            Also, just so I am on the same page, what levels am I testing?

            Also what are the signs of what is needed more or what is needed less?

            (i.e. Plants turning yellow means Phosphate is needed; Plants turning brown, means too much light, etc)