Re: New Aquascape -- Freshwater Planted

  • Colin Streeter
    Message 1 of 41 , Jul 13, 2012
      No one has responded in this thread, so I thought I's point out that

      1) re: kitty litter, look for a brand that is "hypo-allergenic", that contains no perfumes, "clumpers", additives. It should be pure unbaked laterite

      and

      2) larger-size gravel rises to the top with each small disturbance, like stones after frost in a New England field: for the look of sand on the surface, keep it sand all the way down.
    • Jim Rake
      Message 41 of 41 , Jul 24, 2012
        Mark and Kenny,

        What a great source for stuff.  And, there they are, several different sizes of counter-current heat exchange ventilation systems ... I had been trying to find such a beast but all of my Google search efforts came up blank.  Many thanks.

        Jim

        From: Me <KTapp@...>
        To: anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Monday, July 23, 2012, 12:59 PM

        Look into an air exchanger. Www.jehmco.com sells them and can answer any questions you might have. It exchanges the air with outside air very  efficiently. It will take care of the humidity and the bird dander.

        "T. Barber" <tbarber00@...> wrote:

        I have a fish room and a bird room that are adjacent to each other in my
        house. I have a moisture problem with both rooms......I clean the
        bird room by hosing it down so it is very wet on cleaning day (the birds
        also spill water, bathe in their bowls etc.) the fish room has 7 tanks
        one is 250 gallons so that room gets humid too. I need to keep mildew
        from growing in either room.

        I have tried to keep up with it by using small dehumidifiers from home
        depot but to be honest they either don't work that well or last that
        long and in the fish room - it just pumps all the heat into the room
        which makes it warmer .............which increases the evaporation - its
        a vicious cycle.

        I have been looking at larger (more expensive) units to handle this
        situation and have found some large units that might be the answer to
        the problem.

        Am I correct in thinking a bigger unit wouldn't have to run so
        often..........therefore the waste heat isn't as big a problem? I
        could go with a unit that is ducted to the rooms and put it up in the
        attic to deal with the heat issue too.

        Anybody have any experience or advice?

        Thanks.

        TerryB