RE: [anubiasdesign] Advice - Tonina Belem in CA

  • 'Dick Houston'
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 31, 2012

      Check this link. http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/plantfinder/details.php?id=88

      A Servant of the Christ,

      Dick Houston

      houston@...

      From: anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com [mailto:anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Shaun Johnson
      Sent: Saturday, March 31, 2012 7:56 PM
      To: anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [anubiasdesign] Advice - Tonina Belem in CA

      Thanks for all the advice. Getting RO water is just out of the question. I did that already and it was just too much. It's bad enough I have to treat the tap water with Prime now since finding out the Chloramine levels in my district are 2.6 and has been killing my fish.

      But the reason I asked about the Tonina is because a supposed hobbyist here in CA told me that if I make the soil substrate either all peat moss a combination of and potting soil and peat moss, it would be acidic enough for the Tonina to grow. When I heard this, I was a little excited  but have learned to ask before trying things now

      On Mar 27, 2012, at 12:58 AM, Brandon Smith wrote:

      Toninas require soft acidic water so if you cannot get that in your tank it would be a waste purchasing any. You can purchase RO water from a fish store but lugging 5g buckets around gets old really fast.

      If you want to purchase your own RO unit bulkreefsupply.com has the highest quality product at the best price.

      Unless you can do either of the above, co2 and ferts do not matter much.

      Drive safe,

      Brandon Smith

      Jim Butler KIA

      636-256-9600

      On Mar 26, 2012, at 11:42 PM, Shaun Johnson <shaun.johnson2007@...> wrote:

      So Im going to be aqua-scaping and I am VERY interested in Tonina Belem (a.k.a Mark, I'll be wanting to buy some of these in the next few months provided I'll be able to grow these). On a side note, I would love to have a few Mato Grosso, but I really don't think I would be able to maintain it properly. Anyhow back to the Tonina Belem, I can only seem to find conflicting information on this plant so I'd like to hear from someone with experience. Again, I am in CA and the water is very hard here. I have a CO2 tanks of course and lighting I'd imagine is Medium. And as for substrate, I'm going to be using a peat/organic kitty litter/soil mixture without perlite mix and then sand over it.

      Thanks

      Shaun J.

      =