Apisto Caetei update, exciting news!

  • Rachel Garrett
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 29, 2012
    Ok, so I wasn't seeing the female out much again, but I saw she would come out from a secluded spot.  So I got brave and very carefully moved something out of the way so I could see, but replaced that something with a fake plant to keep the sense of seclusion, but still allow me to see when I need to start another round of BBS.  I'm attaching pics of the shell dwelling she chose, as well as a few of the male and female in their breeding colors.  the male is not at bright as I thought he would get, but they are still young.
    You can't see them in the picture, but there are EGGS in the shell in the back amongst the plants and beside the fake red bush!!  the male and female are still flirting when the male comes close to the shell, at least I think that's what they are doing.  Maybe she's just placed the eggs and he still has to fertilize them and that's why she's not chasing him away from trying to get him to stay.  The curious thing is that the eggs are on the top inside of the shell... not laying on the smooth bottom as I thought they would be.  I saw her biting and poking at a snail that was getting too close to the eggs on her shell, so she's doing her job quite well.   The male also guards the surrounding area well.  The eggs are a brownish/red color .. is that normal?  I'm crossing my fingers for fry.... I just love watching nature from the comfort of home!

    Rachel Ferral
  • Gerald
    Message 2 of 11 , Feb 29, 2012
      Apitos usually lay eggs on the ceiling or walls of a cave, not on the bottom like many other cichlids. Leave a small light on in the room at night so she can see well enough to keep the snails away. Get your brine shrimp hatchery ready.

      --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, Rachel Garrett <squirtrg@...> wrote:

      > Ok, so I wasn't seeing the female out much again, but I saw she would come out from a secluded spot.  So I got brave and very carefully moved something out of the way so I could see, but replaced that something with a fake plant to keep the sense of seclusion, but still allow me to see when I need to start another round of BBS.  I'm attaching pics of the shell dwelling she chose, as well as a few of the male and female in their breeding colors.  the male is not at bright as I thought he would get, but they are still young.
      >
      > You can't see them in the picture, but there are EGGS in the shell in the back amongst the plants and beside the fake red bush!!  the male and female are still flirting when the male comes close to the shell, at least I think that's what they are doing.  Maybe she's just placed the eggs and he still has to fertilize them and that's why she's not chasing him away from trying to get him to stay.  The curious thing is that the eggs are on the top inside of the shell... not laying on the smooth bottom as I thought they would be.  I saw her biting and poking at a snail that was getting too close to the eggs on her shell, so she's doing her job quite well.   The male also guards the surrounding area well.  The eggs are a brownish/red color .. is that normal?  I'm crossing my fingers for fry.... I just love watching nature from the comfort of home!
      >

      > Rachel Ferral

    • Rachel Garrett
      Message 3 of 11 , Mar 3, 2012
        got my shrimp ready, but not babies... no more eggs... and sadly... no more yellow momma.  i did a water change a day after i saw that the eggs were gone and she was swimming too fast to be guarding any babies.  i found her belly up a day later after the water change, but i always put the conditioner in the water first... although, i don't wait more than a minute before dumping it into the tank... i can't lift buckets so i do gallon jugs... i only have 2 one gallon jugs to refill.  and with a 2yr old in the house i cant just leave water sitting out in buckets... he would play in it and have it all over the floor.   should i fill the 2 jugs up add the conditioner and wait say.. 20 or 30 min and fill it up slowly throughout the day?  and then that would be hard for me to have a whole day just for changing water out of the tank! instead of doing it all in about 30 minutes.  she also had what looked like a bite taken out of her belly... i don't know if that was an injury that caused her death, or if the snails got to her after she died before i found her.

        While this female was visibly nesting, I had not seen the other female in a few days.  so when I saw the eggs were gone, I started moving decorations around to find her and she was yellower too, but no sign of eggs and she was in a cave that the cories like to hide in that is right under the filters.

        Anyways, i sadly now only have the male and the was second in line female.  both are back to before breeding colors, and back to him chasing her around the tank.  I don't know what I did wrong that made the eggs disappear, or the female die.   I hope I explained the situation enough for you guys to maybe help me figure this out.  I do NOT want the other two to have the same fate!  and it worries me.  in fact, i would be willing to get a 10 gallon and set it up just for them, if you think that would help.  i would of course use a cycled filter in the transfer.  and this new tank would be completely snail free!  so any eggs would only be in danger from mom and pop... which normally isn't much of a problem with apistos, right?  i actually got a 5 gallon hood, 5-15gal filter, and a plastic plant today at a garage sale for $2.  they had a 5gal that busted and I got the left over parts.  so all i would really have to do is go to walmart and buy the 10 gal tanks they have for like $10.

        Rachel Ferral

        Apitos usually lay eggs on the ceiling or walls of a cave, not on the bottom like many other cichlids. Leave a small light on in the room at night so she can see well enough to keep the snails away. Get your brine shrimp hatchery ready.

        --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, Rachel Garrett <squirtrg@...> wrote:

        > Ok, so I wasn't seeing the female out much again, but I saw she would come out from a secluded spot.  So I got brave and very carefully moved something out of the way so I could see, but replaced that something with a fake plant to keep the sense of seclusion, but still allow me to see when I need to start another round of BBS.  I'm attaching pics of the shell dwelling she chose, as well as a few of the male and female in their breeding colors.  the male is not at bright as I thought he would get, but they are still young.
        >
        > You can't see them in the picture, but there are EGGS in the shell in the back amongst the plants and beside the fake red bush!!  the male and female are still flirting when the male comes close to the shell, at least I think that's what they are doing.  Maybe she's just placed the eggs and he still has to fertilize them and that's why she's not chasing him away from trying to get him to stay.  The curious thing is that the eggs are on the top inside of the shell... not laying on the smooth bottom as I thought they would be.  I saw her biting and poking at a snail that was getting too close to the eggs on her shell, so she's doing her job quite well.   The male also guards the surrounding area well.  The eggs are a brownish/red color .. is that normal?  I'm crossing my fingers for fry.... I just love watching nature from the comfort of home!
        >

        > Rachel Ferral

      • Apistodave

          --- In mailto:anubiasdesign%40yahoogroups.com, Rachel Garrett <squirtrg@...> wrote:

          > Ok, so I wasn't
          seeing the female out much again, but I saw she would come out from a secluded spot.  So I got brave and very carefully moved something out of the way so I could see, but replaced that something with a fake plant to keep the sense of seclusion, but still allow me to see when I need to start another round of BBS.  I'm attaching pics of the shell dwelling she chose, as well as a few of the male and female in their breeding colors.  the male is not at bright as I thought he would get, but they are still young.

          > You can't
          see them in the picture, but there are EGGS in the shell in the back amongst the plants and beside the fake red bush!!  the male and female are still flirting when the male comes close to the shell, at least I think that's what they are doing.  Maybe she's just placed the eggs and he still has to fertilize them and that's why she's not chasing him away from trying to get him to stay.  The curious thing is that the eggs are on the top inside of the shell... not laying on the smooth bottom as I thought they would be.  I saw her biting and poking at a snail that was getting too close to the eggs on her shell, so she's doing her job quite well.   The male also guards the surrounding area well.  The eggs are a brownish/red color .. is that normal?  I'm crossing my fingers for fry.... I just love watching nature from the comfort of home!

          > Rachel
          Ferral

        • Rachel Ferral
          Message 5 of 11 , Mar 3, 2012
            I know, but i got them on accident and they've taken over! But that shouldnt be the reason for the fish to have died. Unless they ate her eggs and she died from stress and sadness from loss of eggs.

            Sent from my iPod
            Rachel Ferral

            Rachel—snails are no good hon!

            Apitos usually lay eggs on the ceiling or walls of a cave, not on the bottom like many other cichlids. Leave a small light on in the room at night so she can see well enough to keep the snails away. Get your brine shrimp hatchery ready.

            --- In mailto:anubiasdesign%40yahoogroups.com, Rachel Garrett <squirtrg@...> wrote:

            > Ok, so I wasn't seeing the female out much again, but I saw she would come out from a secluded spot.  So I got brave and very carefully moved something out of the way so I could see, but replaced that something with a fake plant to keep the sense of seclusion, but still allow me to see when I need to start another round of BBS.  I'm attaching pics of the shell dwelling she chose, as well as a few of the male and female in their breeding colors.  the male is not at bright as I thought he would get, but they are still young.
            >
            > You can't see them in the picture, but there are EGGS in the shell in the back amongst the plants and beside the fake red bush!!  the male and female are still flirting when the male comes close to the shell, at least I think that's what they are doing.  Maybe she's just placed the eggs and he still has to fertilize them and that's why she's not chasing him away from trying to get him to stay.  The curious thing is that the eggs are on the top inside of the shell... not laying on the smooth bottom as I thought they would be.  I saw her biting and poking at a snail that was getting too close to the eggs on her shell, so she's doing her job quite well.   The male also guards the surrounding area well.  The eggs are a brownish/red color .. is that normal?  I'm crossing my fingers for fry.... I just love watching nature from the comfort of home!
            >

            > Rachel Ferral

            =
          • plantsrocksandfish
            Message 6 of 11 , Mar 4, 2012
              Rachel, I would look for a more simple answer. The eggs were eaten and then the fish had a fight in which the male killed the female. George

              Message 7 of 11 , Mar 4, 2012
                Rachel,
                George probably hit the nail on the head.  If you can move the remaining pair into their own tank you're likely to be much more successful with breeding them.  You might consider adding some tetras or danios that will school in the upper part of the tank as dither fish but stay away from species that will inhabit the lower reaches of the tank and pose a greater risk to the eggs and fry.

                Rachel, I would look for a more simple answer. The eggs were eaten and then the fish had a fight in which the male killed the female. George

                --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, Rachel Garrett <squirtrg@...> wrote:

                > got my shrimp ready, but not babies... no more eggs... and sadly... no more yellow momma.  i did a water change a day after i saw that the eggs were gone and she was swimming too fast to be guarding any babies.  i found her belly up a day later after the water change, but i always put the conditioner in the water first... although, i don't wait more than a minute before dumping it into the tank... i can't lift buckets so i do gallon jugs... i only have 2 one gallon jugs to refill.  and with a 2yr old in the house i cant just leave water sitting out in buckets... he would play in it and have it all over the floor.   should i fill the 2 jugs up add the conditioner and wait say.. 20 or 30 min and fill it up slowly throughout the day?  and then that would be hard for me to have a whole day just for changing water out of the tank! instead of doing it all in about 30 minutes.  she also had what looked like a bite taken out of her belly... i don't know
                > if that was an injury that caused her death, or if the snails got to her after she died before i found her.
                >

                > While this female was visibly nesting, I had not seen the other female in a few days.  so when I saw the eggs were gone, I started moving decorations around to find her and she was yellower too, but no sign of eggs and she was in a cave that the cories like to hide in that is right under the filters.
                >

                > Anyways, i sadly now only have the male and the was second in line female.  both are back to before breeding colors, and back to him chasing her around the tank.  I don't know what I did wrong that made the eggs disappear, or the female die.   I hope I explained the situation enough for you guys to maybe help me figure this out.  I do NOT want the other two to have the same fate!  and it worries me.  in fact, i would be willing to get a 10 gallon and set it up just for them, if you think that would help.  i would of course use a cycled filter in the transfer.  and this new tank would be completely snail free!  so any eggs would only be in danger from mom and pop... which normally isn't much of a problem with apistos, right?  i actually got a 5 gallon hood, 5-15gal filter, and a plastic plant today at a garage sale for $2.  they had a 5gal that busted and I got the left over parts.  so all i would really have to do is go to walmart and buy
                > the 10 gal tanks they have for like $10.
                >

                > Rachel Ferral

              • Rachel Ferral
                Message 8 of 11 , Mar 4, 2012
                  Im ok with them not breeding... I just dont want them dying from the stress of no success or for whatever reason.  Although, it does make me feel better that it probably wasn't from  water change mistakes, but i don't want it to happen again.  The male seems to get very annoyed with other fish in his area, but the cory cats stay away from his side of the tank now and the only fish he has trouble scaring off are the mollys. However, i plan on saling all of those to locals or even giving some away and maybe going witha dwarf gourami pair if i can find them.  They will look nice and stay towards the top... Would those get along with the apistos?

                  Sent from my iPod
                  Rachel Ferral

> [...]

                  > the 10 gal tanks they have for like $10.

                  =
                • David Williams
                  Message 9 of 11 , Mar 4, 2012

                    Gouramis and apistos do not, as a rule, get along very well.

                    Body types are similar, and the male apisto is going to see them as competition. And attack them. Been there done that, both male and female apistos shredded the gouramis once they bred.

                    Dithers are usually long, lean, small fish. Think tetras or danios – not similar body style, and stay high.

                    Rachel, I would look for a more simple answer. The eggs were eaten and then the fish had a fight in which the male killed the female. George

                    --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, Rachel Garrett <squirtrg@...> wrote:

                    > got my shrimp ready, but not babies... no more eggs... and sadly... no more yellow momma.  i did a water change a day after i saw that the eggs were gone and she was swimming too fast to be guarding any babies.  i found her belly up a day later after the water change, but i always put the conditioner in the water first... although, i don't wait more than a minute before dumping it into the tank... i can't lift buckets so i do gallon jugs... i only have 2 one gallon jugs to refill.  and with a 2yr old in the house i cant just leave water sitting out in buckets... he would play in it and have it all over the floor.   should i fill the 2 jugs up add the conditioner and wait say.. 20 or 30 min and fill it up slowly throughout the day?  and then that would be hard for me to have a whole day just for changing water out of the tank! instead of doing it all in about 30 minutes.  she also had what looked like a bite taken out of her belly... i don't know
                    > if that was an injury that caused her death, or if the snails got to her after she died before i found her.
                    >

                    > While this female was visibly nesting, I had not seen the other female in a few days.  so when I saw the eggs were gone, I started moving decorations around to find her and she was yellower too, but no sign of eggs and she was in a cave that the cories like to hide in that is right under the filters.
                    >

                    > Anyways, i sadly now only have the male and the was second in line female.  both are back to before breeding colors, and back to him chasing her around the tank.  I don't know what I did wrong that made the eggs disappear, or the female die.   I hope I explained the situation enough for you guys to maybe help me figure this out.  I do NOT want the other two to have the same fate!  and it worries me.  in fact, i would be willing to get a 10 gallon and set it up just for them, if you think that would help.  i would of course use a cycled filter in the transfer.  and this new tank would be completely snail free!  so any eggs would only be in danger from mom and pop... which normally isn't much of a problem with apistos, right?  i actually got a 5 gallon hood, 5-15gal filter, and a plastic plant today at a garage sale for $2.  they had a 5gal that busted and I got the left over parts.  so all i would really have to do is go to walmart and buy
                    > the 10 gal tanks they have for like $10.
                    >

                    > Rachel Ferral

                    =

                  • Jim Rake
                    Message 10 of 11 , Mar 5, 2012
                      Further to the selection of dither fish - think speed and think species which show schooling behavior.  You want small fast mid-water fish that school together, and which, when attached by a territorial cichlid, will simply shoot out of his or her way.  That is what makes properly selected tetras, danios, and raspboras ideal for the job.  Since these small fast schooling fish make there living by avoiding 'swoop and strike' predatory fish, they see a dash and snap attack from a stressed-out dwarf as just part of doing business.

                      Also note that this is not just a matter of finding fish which are more compatible in a community tank sense.  Rather, for fish like apistos which show territorial breeding-related aggressive behavior, having dither fish on whom to take out their aggression diminishes male-female aggressive behavior between the dwarf pair, and this leads to better breeding success rates.

                      Jim

> [...]

                      > the 10 gal tanks they have for like $10.

                      =

                    • Rachel Garrett
                      Message 11 of 11 , Mar 5, 2012
                        Thanks! That would've been a disaster waiting to happen... LOL.  I'm still going to find the mollies a new home... they deserve more brackish conditions, and I think a lady wants them, but I haven't been in touch with her lately.  She had said next time she got paid she would come to buy them, but she hasn't called again yet and it's been over a month... lol.  I'll have to text her and remind her, otherwise I'll be putting an ad in the paper soon.  I let a friend buy the albino cories I had off of me, so now I only have the 5 peppered cories on the bottom with the apistos and they generally stay out of their way (as in on the other side of the tank!).  the harlequin rasboras a the dither fish i suppose, and the only other fish i have are the guppies.. and they are nosey, but easily scared off.  oh and the lone skirt tetra that someone gave me cuz they didn't want it in their tank anymore and they were gonna flush it if I didn't take it.  but she's harmless, just swims back and forth looking all prissy.  LOL

                        Rachel Ferral

                        =