Fw: [anubiasdesign] albino bristlenose plecostomus. with green belly

  • ruth lip
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 28, 2012

    ----- Forwarded Message -----
    From: ruth lip <fluffand@...>
    To: "anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com" <anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com>
    Sent: Tuesday, February 28, 2012 11:56 AM
    Subject: Re: [anubiasdesign] albino bristlenose plecostomus. with green belly
    I thing the entire belly. It is below the neck , but not all of the botten.  , everyone else seems ok  here is so photos . Thank you.

    From: ruth <fluffand@...>
    To: anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com
    Date: Tuesday, February 28, 2012, 3:42 PM

    Hi all I am looking for help on what I did to kill my albino bristlenose plecostomus. I fill so bad . doing morning feedings ,when I got to the 40g with 6 mollies ,1 elephant nose ,4 albino bristlenose plecostomus. 2 albino bristlenose plecostomus where dead there little bellys lookedlike dark green inside . Can anyony help ? thank you all so very much.
  • Larry Vires
    Message 2 of 9 , Feb 28, 2012
      That is ascitic fluid caused by internal bacteria.  You'll need to start feeding a medicated food to get rid of it.  I just went through a similar situation brought in with new imports and dosing gel food with kanamycin seems to have stopped the problem after a sudden massive die-off.  I lost three trios of zebras and several others as it can spread rather quickly, and this was with fish that had been quarantined.

      Aside from new imports, I've also seen it happen when the intestines become impacted due to an incorrect diet.  Ancistrus need a lot of roughage in their diet to keep the intestine clear.  If you are feeding a higher protein food to the rest of the tank, they need even more to keep that cleared out.  Otherwise, bacteria sets up and starts hemorrhaging the blood vessels.  Once the bacteria travels to the kidneys and liver, there's not much hope of saving the fish.

      The first symptoms to look for, depending on the bacteria involved, are labored breathing, out in the open more often, and not as active as usual.  It can also include blood spots on the body, fin rot, mouth fungus, bleeding from the vent, and visible bacteria on the body.  Saprolegnia fungus also likes to infect any open wounds on the body, so it's a good idea to treat that as well if it shows up.

      Antibiotic feed seems to be the safest way to get it under control.  Most farms use Romet, but I'm rather fond of kanamycin as I've seen what appear to be faster results.

      Larry

        Message 4 of 9 , Feb 28, 2012
          Medicated foods are kind of on the rarely available list because they have a limited shelf life.  I normally mix my own, but it's not always the simplest thing to do without the proper equipment.  As an example, the medication I'm dosing right not has 300 mg of antibiotic per pound of food.  I only mixed in two 1/2 lb doses because I won't use any more than that before the medication breaks down.

          If the fish are feeding on pellet food, flakes don't work well for medicating, you can get a listing of the suggested dosing at http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fa084

          There is also a lot of good info about how to treat and some of the references explain why antibiotic bath, aka treating the tank, often fails.  Altogether, some good reading for the technically inclined.

          Larry

[...]

        • Gerald
          Message 5 of 9 , Feb 29, 2012
            I just want to second Larry's plug for the U.Fla Tropical Aquaculture Lab's fish health library. Here is the link to the entire list of articles, all free PDF downloads:

            http://tal.ifas.ufl.edu/publications.htm

            Message 6 of 9 , Feb 29, 2012
              Thank you .