what is this? and how would it have gotten into my aquarium?

  • Rachel Garrett
    Message 1 of 27 , Feb 13, 2012
    it has 6 legs and it looks like it might have a stinger on the tail, but could just be like the cricket's tail.  big eyes... maybe multiple lenses and i just cant tell.  just looks like a bug basically but it was in the gravel of my tank, not like a bug that stays on top of the what like you might see at a lake.  i'm attaching a picture of the strange creature, but you may have to zoom in.  any closer and the pic became blurry.

    and while catching this bug, i found a Malaysian trumpet snail.  i know for a fact that i only had 1 of these because i got in on accident at petsmart with some fish, but now there are two (that i know of).  so am i to assume correctly that these snails can duplicate themselves ?  i know that there are snails that can do that, but i just never knew which species it was.

    Rachel Ferral
  • Roy Williams
    Message 2 of 27 , Feb 13, 2012
      Looks like a damselfly nymph, I believe the long extensions act as gills. As to its origin, my best bet would be an adult laying eggs in the tank or perhaps being on some plants? They can take some time to hatch, so it could have been feasibly within the last six months perhaps? They can eat shrimp and young fry, but are generally harmless (unlike dragonfly nymphs) and will eventually molt into an adult and emerge at the surface, likely to never escape your house or find anything to eat. Best bet is to release it into a nearby stream or ditch or feed it to some larger fish as they relish live food. Good luck either way!!

      "In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king" Desiderius Erasmus

      it has 6 legs and it looks like it might have a stinger on the tail, but could just be like the cricket's tail.  big eyes... maybe multiple lenses and i just cant tell.  just looks like a bug basically but it was in the gravel of my tank, not like a bug that stays on top of the what like you might see at a lake.  i'm attaching a picture of the strange creature, but you may have to zoom in.  any closer and the pic became blurry.

      and while catching this bug, i found a Malaysian trumpet snail.  i know for a fact that i only had 1 of these because i got in on accident at petsmart with some fish, but now there are two (that i know of).  so am i to assume correctly that these snails can duplicate themselves ?  i know that there are snails that can do that, but i just never knew which species it was.

      Rachel Ferral

    • Benjamin Keck
      Message 3 of 27 , Feb 13, 2012
        It is a damselfly larvae and probably came in as a small instar (larval stages are called instars) on a plant or with other fish. Do not release it into a nearby stream or lake! Such actions are why many people want to severely restrict the pet trade. By releasing a captive animal back into the wild, disease can be introduced, a species could become invasive, and lots of other not so fun stuff. Let a fish eat it or toss it in the trash.

        The snails are livebearing and will quickly populate a tank given enough food. Most people consider them a pest, some people consider them a good method of keeping the substrate churned.

        Ben

        From: Roy Williams <mnemenoi@...>
        Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 12:15:33 -0800 (PST)
        To: "anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com" <anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: Re: [anubiasdesign] what is this? and how would it have gotten into my aquarium?

[...]

      • John Nixon
        Message 4 of 27 , Feb 13, 2012
          Damselfly larva

          T-Mobile. America’s First Nationwide 4G Network

          Rachel Garrett <squirtrg@...> wrote:

          >it has 6 legs and it looks like it might have a stinger on the tail, but could just be like the cricket's tail.  big eyes... maybe multiple lenses and i just cant tell.  just looks like a bug basically but it was in the gravel of my tank, not like a bug that stays on top of the what like you might see at a lake.  i'm attaching a picture of the strange creature, but you may have to zoom in.  any closer and the pic became blurry.
          >

          >and while catching this bug, i found a Malaysian trumpet snail.  i know for a fact that i only had 1 of these because i got in on accident at petsmart with some fish, but now there are two (that i know of).  so am i to assume correctly that these snails can duplicate themselves ?  i know that there are snails that can do that, but i just never knew which species it was.
          >

          >Rachel Ferral
        • Brandon Smith
          Message 5 of 27 , Feb 13, 2012
            Damselfly, squish it and flush it.

            Drive safe,

            Brandon Smith
            Jim Butler KIA
            636-256-9600

            From: Roy Williams <mnemenoi@...>
            Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 12:15:33 -0800 (PST)
            To: "anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com" <anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com>

[...]

            =
          • Nick Andrews
            Message 6 of 27 , Feb 13, 2012
              Looks like a dragonfly nymph from here.

              [Attachment(s) from Rachel Garrett included below]

              --
              Nick A

              "You know what I wish?  I wish that all the scum of the world had but a single throat, and I had my hands about it..."  Rorschach, 1975

              "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

              "Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees, then names the streets after them." Bill Vaughan

              "The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
            • Nick Andrews

                Message 8 of 27 , Feb 13, 2012
                  MTS are an infestation that need eradicating!

                  As to the damselfly nymph, feed it to something, it came in on some plants.

                  We are proud to announce the formation of the American Labyrinth Fish
                  Association (ALFA). We are starting out as a Yahoo Group with plans for a website and magazine. Please join us as we endeavor to learn more about these fascinating fish.

                  From: Roy Williams <mnemenoi@...>
                  Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 12:15:33 -0800 (PST)
                  To: "anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com" <anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com>

                  Message 9 of 27 , Feb 13, 2012
                    I'm not a big proponent of the eradication of MTS. If you feed properly that alone will keep their numbers to a man able amount. I look at them as the earth worms of the planted aquaria. They all ow the solid to breath and also  utrients to reach the roots as well as root health. No, I like MTS and think they help any tank (planted it not) by eating leftover food and detritus do its not converted to straight ammonia.

                    Drive safe,

                    Brandon Smith
                    Jim Butler KIA
                    636-256-9600

                    From: Roy Williams <mnemenoi@...>
                    Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 12:15:33 -0800 (PST)
                    To: "anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com" <anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com>

                  • leeh920226@aol.com
                    Message 10 of 27 , Feb 13, 2012
                      Damsel Fly larvae. I get them with daphnia and mosquito larvae from outside ponds and buckets. They will consume your baby fish. They are smaller than mosquito larvae and hardly noticeable when introduced but grow rapidly on valuable fry.

                      Lee Harper
                      Media, PA

                    • Gerald Griffin
                      Message 11 of 27 , Feb 13, 2012
                        EXTERMINATE - EXTERMINATE - EXTERMINATE (Said in my Dalek Voice!)

                        From: Roy Williams <mnemenoi@...>
                        Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 12:15:33 -0800 (PST)
                        To: "anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com" <anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com>

[...]

                      • Edd
                        Message 12 of 27 , Feb 13, 2012

                          Rachel, Looks like a larval form of some sort of flying insect, LIKE a Mayfly or related.. Show it to your trout fishermen friends and they may have a more specific idea.

                          Message 13 of 27 , Feb 13, 2012
                            MTS: really depends on what you do with your tank. If you keep a planted tank with sloped substrate, they are a menace. They will level your slopes and uproot plants with short and delicate roots. If you keep your substrate flat or substrates that compact like sand, MTS can be beneficial.

                            But at the end, I still consider them a pest.

                            --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, Rachel Garrett <squirtrg@...> wrote:

                            > it has 6 legs and it looks like it might have a stinger on the tail, but could just be like the cricket's tail.  big eyes... maybe multiple lenses and i just cant tell.  just looks like a bug basically but it was in the gravel of my tank, not like a bug that stays on top of the what like you might see at a lake.  i'm attaching a picture of the strange creature, but you may have to zoom in.  any closer and the pic became blurry.
                            >

                            > and while catching this bug, i found a Malaysian trumpet snail.  i know for a fact that i only had 1 of these because i got in on accident at petsmart with some fish, but now there are two (that i know of).  so am i to assume correctly that these snails can duplicate themselves ?  i know that there are snails that can do that, but i just never knew which species it was.
                            >

                            > Rachel Ferral

                          • Rachel Garrett
                            Message 14 of 27 , Feb 13, 2012
                              Thanks for all the great and fast responses!  I threw it outside into the garden, its raining right now so it may make it to the ditch that's filled with water, but I doubt it.  I thought maybe it had stung one of my fish that died recently, a smaller fish that stayed close to the bottom.  I'm glad it didn't get to fly out of my aquarium!  I don't have any fish bigger than 3 to 4 in. So throwing it out seemed the best option.

                              As for the trumpet snails, I like them better than the ramshells that have taken over.  but i've actually seen my apistos trying to eat the snails.  they look like cats pouncing on their prey, sneaking slowly up to them while they are still out of the shell and taking a quick bite.  I do crush the snails on the glass from time to time for a tasty snack for the fish.  they go crazy for them.  I've even thought about getting an assassin snail, but just one.

                              Rachel Ferral

                              Message 15 of 27 , Feb 13, 2012
                                I keep assassin snails and they do not do a good job eating other snails.

                                Message 16 of 27 , Feb 13, 2012
                                  I've thought about adding sand and having a sand/gravel mix.  However, I don't know how to go about doing that or if it would be a good thing to do.  I'm sure the cories would love it.  I also wondered if it would stay evenly mixed, or would the sand or gravel sink to the bottom and separate? and would i have to drain a large amount of the tank to add it without causing too much of a sand storm?  all trivial questions, but things i'd like to know before even trying it.

                                  Rachel Ferral

                                  MTS: really depends on what you do with your tank. If you keep a planted tank with sloped substrate, they are a menace. They will level your slopes and uproot plants with short and delicate roots. If you keep your substrate flat or substrates that compact like sand, MTS can be beneficial.

                                  But at the end, I still consider them a pest.

                                  --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, Rachel Garrett <squirtrg@...> wrote:

                                  > it has 6 legs and it looks like it might have a stinger on the tail, but could just be like the cricket's tail.  big eyes... maybe multiple lenses and i just cant tell.  just looks like a bug basically but it was in the gravel of my tank, not like a bug that stays on top of the what like you might see at a lake.  i'm attaching a picture of the strange creature, but you may have to zoom in.  any closer and the pic became blurry.
                                  >

                                  > and while catching this bug, i found a Malaysian trumpet snail.  i know for a fact that i only had 1 of these because i got in on accident at petsmart with some fish, but now there are two (that i know of).  so am i to assume correctly that these snails can duplicate themselves ?  i know that there are snails that can do that, but i just never knew which species it was.
                                  >

                                  > Rachel Ferral

                                • Gerald Griffin
                                  Message 17 of 27 , Feb 13, 2012
                                    Blasting sand!  Probably my favorite substrate!

                                    Message 18 of 27 , Feb 13, 2012
                                      The problem with a sand/gravel mix is that it won't stay mixed. The sand will end up on the bottom with the gravel on top. It's better to go one way or the other.

                                      Must kill the MTS! Probably the worst scourge in the hobby imo. If you know you have a few, you have A LOT more than that! Eventually, it will look like your gravel is moving. Their shells are very hard so few fish eat them and crushing them bare handed can result in cutting your hand. The problem is that chemicals added to kill them may also not work very well and/or if they do you get mass dead tissue decomposing. AT this point it's probably better to try to keep them in check by putting in a cabbage leaf once or twice a week at night and removing that along with all the snails that are on it as soon as you wake up in the morning.
                                      Mark

                                      --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, Rachel Garrett <squirtrg@...> wrote:

                                      > I've thought about adding sand and having a sand/gravel mix.  However, I don't know how to go about doing that or if it would be a good thing to do.  I'm sure the cories would love it.  I also wondered if it would stay evenly mixed, or would the sand or gravel sink to the bottom and separate? and would i have to drain a large amount of the tank to add it without causing too much of a sand storm?  all trivial questions, but things i'd like to know before even trying it.
                                      >

                                      > Rachel Ferral
                                      >

                                      > ________________________________

                                    • zzyzx85
                                      Message 19 of 27 , Feb 13, 2012
                                        Agreed on both parts. Either go all gravel or all sand. Personally, I like rinsed out play sand bought at the big box home stores.

                                        It's almost impossible to eradicate MTS once you have them in a tank. They are tough buggers.

                                        --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, "Anubias Design" <anubiasdesign@...> wrote:

                                        > The problem with a sand/gravel mix is that it won't stay mixed. The sand will end up on the bottom with the gravel on top. It's better to go one way or the other.
                                        >
                                        > Must kill the MTS! Probably the worst scourge in the hobby imo. If you know you have a few, you have A LOT more than that! Eventually, it will look like your gravel is moving. Their shells are very hard so few fish eat them and crushing them bare handed can result in cutting your hand. The problem is that chemicals added to kill them may also not work very well and/or if they do you get mass dead tissue decomposing. AT this point it's probably better to try to keep them in check by putting in a cabbage leaf once or twice a week at night and removing that along with all the snails that are on it as soon as you wake up in the morning.
                                        > Mark
                                        >
                                        > --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, Rachel Garrett <squirtrg@> wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > I've thought about adding sand and having a sand/gravel mix.  However, I don't know how to go about doing that or if it would be a good thing to do.  I'm sure the cories would love it.  I also wondered if it would stay evenly mixed, or would the sand or gravel sink to the bottom and separate? and would i have to drain a large amount of the tank to add it without causing too much of a sand storm?  all trivial questions, but things i'd like to know before even trying it.
                                        > >

                                        > > Rachel Ferral
                                        > >

                                        > > ________________________________

                                      • Rachel Garrett
                                        Message 20 of 27 , Feb 13, 2012
                                          well.... i didnt have any MTS until one came home with me from Petsmart on accident.  that one is bigger now and i can normally spot it.  and it was just by chance ... digging in the gravel to catch that bug that i found the second one.  maybe i could take the big one out... i kinda was starting to like it. thinking that since it was the only one of it's type in the tank that it wouldn't multiply.  guess i was wrong on that one.  i could toss the big one, but if i've found one other small one... i wonder how many babies that first one and it's babies could have had by now.  it's been a few months since i got that first one i think.  it was when i got another albino cory from there trying to get a male for my albino females.  they let me look and i tried to pick one that i thought was male, but they were so small it was hard to tell.  i thought the snail was a piece of gravel at first.  guess i should've thrown it away then.

                                          Rachel Ferral

                                          Agreed on both parts. Either go all gravel or all sand. Personally, I like rinsed out play sand bought at the big box home stores.

                                          It's almost impossible to eradicate MTS once you have them in a tank. They are tough buggers.

                                          --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, "Anubias Design" <anubiasdesign@...> wrote:

                                          > The problem with a sand/gravel mix is that it won't stay mixed. The sand will end up on the bottom with the gravel on top. It's better to go one way or the other.
                                          >
                                          > Must kill the MTS! Probably the worst scourge in the hobby imo. If you know you have a few, you have A LOT more than that! Eventually, it will look like your gravel is moving. Their shells are very hard so few fish eat them and crushing them bare handed can result in cutting your hand. The problem is that chemicals added to kill them may also not work very well and/or if they do you get mass dead tissue decomposing. AT this point it's probably better to try to keep them in check by putting in a cabbage leaf once or twice a week at night and removing that along with all the snails that are on it as soon as you wake up in the morning.
                                          > Mark
                                          >
                                          > --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, Rachel Garrett <squirtrg@> wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > I've thought about adding sand and having a sand/gravel mix.  However, I don't know how to go about doing that or if it would be a good thing to do.  I'm sure the cories would love it.  I also wondered if it would stay evenly mixed, or would the sand or gravel sink to the bottom and separate? and would i have to drain a large amount of the tank to add it without causing too much of a sand storm?  all trivial questions, but things i'd like to know before even trying it.
                                          > >

                                          > > Rachel Ferral
                                          > >

                                          > > ________________________________

                                        • T. Barber
                                          Message 21 of 27 , Feb 13, 2012
                                            Add some sort of loach to your tank......they will clear the tank.  My favorite is the Lohachata Botia....yoyo loach.

                                            TerryB

                                            On 2/13/2012 8:02 PM, zzyzx85 wrote:

                                            Agreed on both parts. Either go all gravel or all sand. Personally, I like rinsed out play sand bought at the big box home stores.

                                            It's almost impossible to eradicate MTS once you have them in a tank. They are tough buggers.

                                            --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, "Anubias Design" <anubiasdesign@...> wrote:

                                            > The problem with a sand/gravel mix is that it won't stay mixed. The sand will end up on the bottom with the gravel on top. It's better to go one way or the other.
                                            >
                                            > Must kill the MTS! Probably the worst scourge in the hobby imo. If you know you have a few, you have A LOT more than that! Eventually, it will look like your gravel is moving. Their shells are very hard so few fish eat them and crushing them bare handed can result in cutting your hand. The problem is that chemicals added to kill them may also not work very well and/or if they do you get mass dead tissue decomposing. AT this point it's probably better to try to keep them in check by putting in a cabbage leaf once or twice a week at night and removing that along with all the snails that are on it as soon as you wake up in the morning.
                                            > Mark
                                            >
                                            > --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, Rachel Garrett <squirtrg@> wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > I've thought about adding sand and having a sand/gravel mix.  However, I don't know how to go about doing that or if it would be a good thing to do.  I'm sure the cories would love it.  I also wondered if it would stay evenly mixed, or would the sand or gravel sink to the bottom and separate? and would i have to drain a large amount of the tank to add it without causing too much of a sand storm?  all trivial questions, but things i'd like to know before even trying it.
                                            > >

                                            > > Rachel Ferral
                                            > >

                                            > > ________________________________

                                          • Rachel Garrett
                                            Message 22 of 27 , Feb 13, 2012
                                              is the yoyo loach big?  would it eat fry or disturb the apisto eggs when/if they breed?  I've already seen the male chase off a large peppered cory tho... lol. that was funny to watch, it was twice his size!  He had taken a liking to a corner group of plants and the way they were grouped but the moon rock cave in front of it he would look at, but liked hiding in the plants better, so I moved the plants just enough to fit the cave into the middle of the group of plants and he's been guarding that area more now, like he's planning on making that his completely.  he's gotten more color, and the female is staying close by in the plants too, even saw her pickin at him once yesterday.  only once tho, normally it's him looking for her ... although she has been staying and giving him more time to flirt more and more instead of just bolting for the other side of the tank.

                                              they are so much fun to watch!

                                              Rachel Ferral

                                              Add some sort of loach to your tank......they will clear the tank.  My favorite is the Lohachata Botia....yoyo loach.

                                              TerryB

                                              On 2/13/2012 8:02 PM, zzyzx85 wrote:

                                              Agreed on both parts. Either go all gravel or all sand. Personally, I like rinsed out play sand bought at the big box home stores.

                                              It's almost impossible to eradicate MTS once you have them in a tank. They are tough buggers.

                                              --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, "Anubias Design" <anubiasdesign@...> wrote:

                                              > The problem with a sand/gravel mix is that it won't stay mixed. The sand will end up on the bottom with the gravel on top. It's better to go one way or the other.
                                              >
                                              > Must kill the MTS! Probably the worst scourge in the hobby imo. If you know you have a few, you have A LOT more than that! Eventually, it will look like your gravel is moving. Their shells are very hard so few fish eat them and crushing them bare handed can result in cutting your hand. The problem is that chemicals added to kill them may also not work very well and/or if they do you get mass dead tissue decomposing. AT this point it's probably better to try to keep them in check by putting in a cabbage leaf once or twice a week at night and removing that along with all the snails that are on it as soon as you wake up in the morning.
                                              > Mark
                                              >
                                              > --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, Rachel Garrett <squirtrg@> wrote:
                                              > >
                                              > > I've thought about adding sand and having a sand/gravel mix.  However, I don't know how to go about doing that or if it would be a good thing to do.  I'm sure the cories would love it.  I also wondered if it would stay evenly mixed, or would the sand or gravel sink to the bottom and separate? and would i have to drain a large amount of the tank to add it without causing too much of a sand storm?  all trivial questions, but things i'd like to know before even trying it.
                                              > >

                                              > > Rachel Ferral
                                              > >

                                              > > ________________________________

                                            • Gerald Griffin
                                              Message 23 of 27 , Feb 13, 2012
                                                I have not seen loaches do squat for MTS.

                                                We are proud to announce the formation of the American Labyrinth Fish
                                                Association (ALFA). We are starting out as a Yahoo Group with plans for a website and magazine. Please join us as we endeavor to learn more about these fascinating fish.

                                                Add some sort of loach to your tank......they will clear the tank.  My favorite is the Lohachata Botia....yoyo loach.

                                                TerryB

                                                On 2/13/2012 8:02 PM, zzyzx85 wrote:

                                                Agreed on both parts. Either go all gravel or all sand. Personally, I like rinsed out play sand bought at the big box home stores.

                                                It's almost impossible to eradicate MTS once you have them in a tank. They are tough buggers.

                                                --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, "Anubias Design" <anubiasdesign@...> wrote:

                                                > The problem with a sand/gravel mix is that it won't stay mixed. The sand will end up on the bottom with the gravel on top. It's better to go one way or the other.
                                                >
                                                > Must kill the MTS! Probably the worst scourge in the hobby imo. If you know you have a few, you have A LOT more than that! Eventually, it will look like your gravel is moving. Their shells are very hard so few fish eat them and crushing them bare handed can result in cutting your hand. The problem is that chemicals added to kill them may also not work very well and/or if they do you get mass dead tissue decomposing. AT this point it's probably better to try to keep them in check by putting in a cabbage leaf once or twice a week at night and removing that along with all the snails that are on it as soon as you wake up in the morning.
                                                > Mark
                                                >
                                                > --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, Rachel Garrett <squirtrg@> wrote:
                                                > >
                                                > > I've thought about adding sand and having a sand/gravel mix.  However, I don't know how to go about doing that or if it would be a good thing to do.  I'm sure the cories would love it.  I also wondered if it would stay evenly mixed, or would the sand or gravel sink to the bottom and separate? and would i have to drain a large amount of the tank to add it without causing too much of a sand storm?  all trivial questions, but things i'd like to know before even trying it.
                                                > >

                                                > > Rachel Ferral
                                                > >

                                                > > ________________________________

                                              • Gerald Griffin
                                                Message 24 of 27 , Feb 13, 2012
                                                  I have seen yoyo loaches eat livebearer fry!

> [...]

                                                  > Mark
                                                  >
                                                  > --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, Rachel Garrett <squirtrg@> wrote:
                                                  > >
                                                  > > I've thought about adding sand and having a sand/gravel mix.  However, I don't know how to go about doing that or if it would be a good thing to do.  I'm sure the cories would love it.  I also wondered if it would stay evenly mixed, or would the sand or gravel sink to the bottom and separate? and would i have to drain a large amount of the tank to add it without causing too much of a sand storm?  all trivial questions, but things i'd like to know before even trying it.

                                                • Shaun Johnson
                                                  Message 25 of 27 , Feb 13, 2012
                                                    Yo Yo loaches are the best for snails, but I have also witnessed them eating my Apistos fry too. I have 1 horseface loach now I got when I noticed snails and I don't see anymore snails and it hasn't touched my fry. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I know for a fact in my tank it's way less aggressive than a yoyo loaches I had and definitely eats the snails.

> [...]

                                                    > Mark
                                                    >
                                                    > --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, Rachel Garrett <squirtrg@> wrote:
                                                    > >
                                                    > > I've thought about adding sand and having a sand/gravel mix.  However, I don't know how to go about doing that or if it would be a good thing to do.  I'm sure the cories would love it.  I also wondered if it would stay evenly mixed, or would the sand or gravel sink to the bottom and separate? and would i have to drain a large amount of the tank to add it without causing too much of a sand storm?  all trivial questions, but things i'd like to know before even trying it.

                                                  • T. Barber
                                                    Message 26 of 27 , Feb 14, 2012
                                                      Wiped mine out....................oh well.

                                                      T.

                                                      On 2/13/2012 8:55 PM, Gerald Griffin wrote:
                                                      I have not seen loaches do squat for MTS.

                                                      We are proud to announce the formation of the American Labyrinth Fish
                                                      Association (ALFA). We are starting out as a Yahoo Group with plans for a website and magazine. Please join us as we endeavor to learn more about these fascinating fish.

                                                      Add some sort of loach to your tank......they will clear the tank.  My favorite is the Lohachata Botia....yoyo loach.

                                                      TerryB

                                                      On 2/13/2012 8:02 PM, zzyzx85 wrote:

                                                      Agreed on both parts. Either go all gravel or all sand. Personally, I like rinsed out play sand bought at the big box home stores.

                                                      It's almost impossible to eradicate MTS once you have them in a tank. They are tough buggers.

                                                      --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, "Anubias Design" <anubiasdesign@...> wrote:

                                                      > The problem with a sand/gravel mix is that it won't stay mixed. The sand will end up on the bottom with the gravel on top. It's better to go one way or the other.
                                                      >
                                                      > Must kill the MTS! Probably the worst scourge in the hobby imo. If you know you have a few, you have A LOT more than that! Eventually, it will look like your gravel is moving. Their shells are very hard so few fish eat them and crushing them bare handed can result in cutting your hand. The problem is that chemicals added to kill them may also not work very well and/or if they do you get mass dead tissue decomposing. AT this point it's probably better to try to keep them in check by putting in a cabbage leaf once or twice a week at night and removing that along with all the snails that are on it as soon as you wake up in the morning.
                                                      > Mark
                                                      >
                                                      > --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, Rachel Garrett <squirtrg@> wrote:
                                                      > >
                                                      > > I've thought about adding sand and having a sand/gravel mix.  However, I don't know how to go about doing that or if it would be a good thing to do.  I'm sure the cories would love it.  I also wondered if it would stay evenly mixed, or would the sand or gravel sink to the bottom and separate? and would i have to drain a large amount of the tank to add it without causing too much of a sand storm?  all trivial questions, but things i'd like to know before even trying it.
                                                      > >

                                                      > > Rachel Ferral

                                                    • T. Barber
                                                      Message 27 of 27 , Feb 14, 2012
                                                        Yes the would eat eggs or fry.............

                                                        TerryB