RE: [anubiasdesign] Re: Mosquito larvae eggs rafts - seller

  • Donna Ransome
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1, 2011

      I never realized our hobby is so disgusting, LOL.

      From: "Gerald" <gbpottern@...>
      To: < anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com >
      Date: Wed, Aug 31, 2011 12:04 pm

      ANY decaying matter in water that grows bacteria will attract egg-laying mosquitoes: tree leaves, vegetable scraps, milk (doesnt need to be condensed), dogfood, fishfood, etc. A drowned squirrel in a rain-barrel works very nicely too.

      --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, josllv@... wrote:

      > read the condensed milk idea in the encyclopedia of live foods a book that
      im not sure is even in print anymore so its solid idea not an urban legend or old wifes tale thats for sure toddles zippy

      shall add some Condensed milk and we'll just see what happens :-)

    • Gerald
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 1, 2011
        Donna, dont forget to spend 15 min a day in a lawn chair beside your skeeter tub so the females are well nourished!

        Besides their being universally enjoyed by nearly all fish, home-grown mosquito larvae harvested from barrels or tubs are one of the safest live foods since they are never exposed to natural water bodies that could harbor fish diseases.

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 1, 2011
          I thought that's what spouse/significant others/kids/neighbors were for!

          http://anubiasdesign.com/

          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 1, 2011

            You'se guys are on the right track.....     AND, trot out your carnivorous plants when you seat your female mosquito bait family and friends by the tub..

             One roommate of mine constantly griped about being a mosquito magnet.    I talked her into an experiment.     She sat on the patio one July evening right beside the  mosquito tub.     My newly purchased Venus Flytrap was set up on a table beside her.

            She did get mosquito bites but nothing on the Flytrap snapped shut.      She didn't sit there long - maybe not long enough.     This was before Google - I did not know how long it takes a mosquito to find a Venus Flytrap and land on the trap or if mosquitoes are even part of the plant's diet.

            I think this is an experiment that begs to be tried again.