wild blue gularis

  • cichlidmayhem
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 5, 2011
      Soon I will be the lucky owner of 2 prs of wild blue gularis from Okarara Nigeria courtesy of well known importer in my area. 6 prs were shipped to a friend who is currently keeping them in hard, neutral tap water with 1 teaspoon of salt and an antifungus treatment(not known yet). The females were in rough shape but are fairing a little better now. I told him I was going to put them in 3/4 RO and 1/4 tap with a couple almond leaves. I wanted to keep them like they would be in the wild but my friend advise not too. How should I keep them? And what should I give them as a mild treatment? Nothing too hard as I dont want to stress them out.
      I'm very excited about having wild blue gularis as its been years since Ive seen them available. Last time was I think back in the eighties when a couple pairs came into a AKA convention. And this seems to be a new location too!

      Gary
    • Todd Toerpe
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 5, 2011
        Get ahold of Charles Harrison, the current AKA chairman. Not only will he be of help, but he supplies many of us with the meds required to de-bug wild caught fishes. charles@.... Then go to the AKA website/forums and pose the same question. www.aka.org. Check with Mark (here) and Gerald (IBC SMC). Separate them, one fish per tank, no exceptions. Start your tanks now to complete cycle before they arrive. Not sure where the RO/Tap formula came from, but check with others on that. 3/4-1/4 mix is variable depending on what the 1/4 really is. Covers are a non-negotiable requirement also. I prefer some plant cover in my tanks even for big fish like BG, and air, Higher room temps. Lower light. Good luck and then spawn them we'd all like to get some!

[...]

      • Gary Smith
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 5, 2011

          The 3/4 RO and 1//4 tap is what people in my area are using for breeding soft water fish so I thought that would be good ratio to use.
          Gary

        • leeh920226@aol.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 5, 2011

            In a message dated 3/5/11 8:53:46 PM, rivulus@... writes:

            The 3/4 RO and 1//4 tap is what people in my area are using for breeding soft water fish so I thought that would be good ratio to use.
            Gary

            That should be OK, but acclimate them gradually. A sudden drop in TDS will kill any fish.

            Lee Harper
            Media, PA

          • Todd Toerpe
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 5, 2011
              Gary,
              I see where you are going with the RO/Tap, I guess what threw me, in our area we do not consider BG a soft water species. I need to check with some other guys besides myself that raise them, but they seem to be highly adaptable to a wide water range. I am more used to acclimating them to our waters via a drip method. I for one hate always making special water to keep a species. Now as for breeding some species later you may have to adjust your water. That has not been my experience with BG.

[...]

            • Gerald Griffin
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 5, 2011
                This is really cool, the gularis is one of my all time favorite killifish.

                I would lean more towards the middle of the spectrum with keeping them.

              • rivulus@cogeco.ca
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 6, 2011
                  I've decided that I will keep them in our neutral tap water for now to condition them but when its time to breed them i'm going to keep them in softer water. Ive kept gulais in the past and always got fungused eggs breeding them in mops. This time I will try them with a bowl of peat. With the use of peat though there is a risk of a velvet outbreak, what can I use as a preventative?
                  Gary

                  From: Gerald Griffin <herpchat@...>
                  Sender: anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com
                  Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2011 19:57:45 -0800 (PST)
                  To: <anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com>
                  ReplyTo: anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 6, 2011
                    Ive been told that these fish are bigger than our aquarium strain but doesnt seem to have much colour right now. If these are still immature fish then they are going to be huge. Or possably its not a very colourful location. I will try to get pics tomorrow when I get them home.
                    Gary

                    From: Gerald Griffin <herpchat@...>
                    Sender: anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com
                    Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2011 19:57:45 -0800 (PST)
                    To: <anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com>
[...]

                  • Al Anderson
                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 6, 2011

                      When I was breeding blue Gularis in the past I used to add 20 % Boston harbor seawater to the breeding tank with 80 % Boston tap water. In Indy the best results was with 20 % Seawater mixed with 80 % rain water. In both cases I used clear plastic shoe boxes with a ½ inch of the mixed water in them along with a slight amount of acraflavine.( on the maket it it is now called fungus cure. The boxes were kept at around 76 to 82 degrees f in a dark container. White eggs were removed daily and the water on the eggs was changed if it started to cloud or smell. I always used mops to spawn the fish in. Sometimes I would bury the mops part way I silica sand or glass beads.

                      aa

                      From: Gerald Griffin <herpchat@...>

                      Sender: anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com

                      Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2011 19:57:45 -0800 (PST)

                      To: <anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com>

                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 6, 2011
                        Water chemistry has always been the confusing part of the hobby for me. Using seawater for a rainforest fish doesnt seem to make sense to me.
                        Gary

                        From: "Al Anderson" <augustand@...>
                        Sender: anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com
                        Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2011 10:51:38 -0500
                        To: <anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com>

                        From: Gerald Griffin <herpchat@...>

                        Sender: anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com

                        Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2011 19:57:45 -0800 (PST)

                        To: <anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com>

[...]

                      • Edd Kray
                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 6, 2011

                          Check the locality of the sjoestedti species. Aren’t they from the coastal plain in Cameroon/Nigeria?…different water conditions from  the inland rain forests.

                          From: "Al Anderson" <augustand@...>

                          Sender: anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com

                          Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2011 10:51:38 -0500

                          To: <anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com>

                          From: Gerald Griffin <herpchat@...>

                          Sender: anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com

                          Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2011 19:57:45 -0800 (PST)

                          To: <anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com>

                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 6, 2011
                            These blue gularis im getting are from Okarara, Nigeria. Im using a blackberry right now so I cant open the attachments, i will when i can get on my pc. Btw, in with these wilds were 3 individuals which Oliver called "platinum". These were sold to Thailand for 150.00 each.
                            Gary

                            From: "Edd Kray" <edd@...>
                            Sender: anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com
                            Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2011 09:49:55 -0700
                            To: <anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com>

                            From: "Al Anderson" <augustand@...>

                            Sender: anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com

                            Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2011 10:51:38 -0500

                            To: <anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com>

                            From: Gerald Griffin <herpchat@...>

                            Sender: anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com

                            Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2011 19:57:45 -0800 (PST)

                            To: <anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com>

                            Message 13 of 16 , Mar 6, 2011
                              Gary,
                              The salt is to help prevent velvet, among other things.

                              http://anubiasdesign.com/

                              From: "Edd Kray" <edd@...>
                              Sender: anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com
                              Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2011 09:49:55 -0700
                              To: <anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com>

                              From: "Al Anderson" <augustand@...>

                              Sender: anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com

                              Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2011 10:51:38 -0500

                              To: <anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com>

                              From: Gerald Griffin <herpchat@...>

                              Sender: anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com

                              Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2011 19:57:45 -0800 (PST)

                              To: <anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com>

                              ReplyTo: anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com

                              Message 14 of 16 , Mar 8, 2011

                              So yesterday I pick up the wild blue gularis and they are in rough shape, especially the females. Females are really thin! My biggest male came in at just over 3 inches and is just starting to colour up. Looks like this location of blue gularis could have a lot of yellow. I've attached some photos, hopefully they will come through.

                              From: "Edd Kray" <edd@...>
                              Sender: anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com
                              Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2011 09:49:55 -0700
                              To: <anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com>

                              From: "Al Anderson" <augustand@...>

                              Sender: anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com

                              Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2011 10:51:38 -0500

                              To: <anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com>

                              From: Gerald Griffin <herpchat@...>

                              Sender: anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com

                              Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2011 19:57:45 -0800 (PST)

                              To: <anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com>

                              Message 15 of 16 , Mar 8, 2011

                                On Mar 8, 2011, at 9:47:24 AM, "Gary Smith" <rivulus@...> wrote:

                                So yesterday I pick up the wild blue gularis and they are in rough shape, especially the females. Females are really thin! My biggest male came in at just over 3 inches and is just starting to colour up. Looks like this location of blue gularis could have a lot of yellow. I've attached some photos, hopefully they will come through.
                                Gary
                                Gary,
                                I am sure you know this, but Blue Gularis males are very prone to kill females. Keep them separated until the females recover and even then be very careful.

                                --
                                Lee Harper
                                Media, PA
                                Message 16 of 16 , Mar 8, 2011
                                  Hi Lee,
                                             All the fish have there own 10 gal. I fed them a little bit of balckworms this morning and all ate but not gusto like other blue gularis do. I suspect it will take time!
                                  Gary