RE: [anubiasdesign] Softening water

  • leeh920226
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 1, 2011

      On Feb 1, 2011, at 2:54:34 AM, "Graham Beek (iFACTS)" <graham.beek@...> wrote:

      I reckon I understand water chemistry pretty well, but there's one thing I don't understand, and this reply touches on it. Why does soaking water in peat soften it? i.e. reduce the hardness? Does it reduce the KH, GH or both?

      Graham
      I believe the pear actually functions as a cation exchange resin and ties up calcium and magnesium ions.

      --
      Lee Harper
      Media, PA
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 1, 2011

        In a message dated 2/1/11 8:13:38 AM, leeh920226@... writes:

        I believe the pear actually functions as a cation exchange resin and ties up calcium and magnesium ions.

        Spell checking does not correct pear to peat.

        Lee Harper
        Media, PA

      • Betta Mandor
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 1, 2011
          I have 3 tanks that have a ph of 5.
          I've had it that way for 3 years now. I use ADA Aqua Soil. It's a little bit more expensive substrate but it gets the job done for plants and keeping a low PH level.
          I can tell you that if you plan to go with live plants, they will thrive on this soil.

          --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, "TylerT" <industrialnightmare@...> wrote:

          > Hi, I am trying to experiment with soft water and my first goal is to breed neon tetras.
          >
          > Currently, my water has a pH of 7.8, DGH of 7 and DKH of 9.
          >
          > In the experiment tank containing six neons, I started a new aquarium and cycled it with an old sponge filter.
          >
          > I first tried using a water softening pillow rated up to 20g. The experiment tank is a 10g. 24 hours later, the water chemistry did not change at all. I then used blackwater extract. I started with a half dose, then 12 hours later added another half dose and the water did not become softer and the pH was constant. I doubled the dose after a day and 24 hours later still nothing.
          >
          > Does anybody have any ideas on how else I could lower the hardness, or why mine isn't budging?

        • mtbikerpickle
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 1, 2011
            I keep and have bread Monocirrhus polyacanthus which are quite sensitive to hardness and alkalinity. My local water is like yours, a little harder even. My solution is 3 parts RO to 1 part tap water. You need that small amount of hardness to act as a buffer. Works great, very simple and best of all repeatable for frequent water changes. I can add a tiny bit of buffering salts to adjust pH after that but getting the hardness out requires RO.

            If you want to test it out your local grocery store may have a "Culligan" or similar dispenser which is usually RO.

            To acclimate fish I like to graduate from 10% to 40% water changes over a week's span due to diminishing returns as mentioned previously.

            *return to lurk*

            --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, "TylerT" <industrialnightmare@...> wrote:

            > Hi, I am trying to experiment with soft water and my first goal is to breed neon tetras.
            >
            > Currently, my water has a pH of 7.8, DGH of 7 and DKH of 9.
            >
            > In the experiment tank containing six neons, I started a new aquarium and cycled it with an old sponge filter.
            >
            > I first tried using a water softening pillow rated up to 20g. The experiment tank is a 10g. 24 hours later, the water chemistry did not change at all. I then used blackwater extract. I started with a half dose, then 12 hours later added another half dose and the water did not become softer and the pH was constant. I doubled the dose after a day and 24 hours later still nothing.
            >
            > Does anybody have any ideas on how else I could lower the hardness, or why mine isn't budging?

          • Tyler
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 1, 2011
              Thanks!  The SA Leaffish is definitely on my list of fish I want to attempt to breed in the future.

              If we don't get the expected storm, tonight I might get some RO water and start acclimating tonight!