Re: Spawning goldfish indoors

    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 5, 2010
      Gary,
      I've had goldfish spawn indoors but the timing has always been somewhat of a surprise. You can see the breeding tubercles on the males and the females full of roe but you never quite know when they are going to go. I'm guessing that you have chillers available. I'd suggest giving them a month at 40 degrees or so and then warming them up. That should trigger spawning. Or, you can always use hormone injections. I suspect that there is probably some info out there on indoor spawning that you'll be able to find, too.
      Good luck,
      Mark

      --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, Gary Hoover <gmh52389@...> wrote:

      > Hi all,
      > I have recently been assigned to help with a master's program here at Purdue that's dealing with fish eggs (and various methods of controlling them), and one of our model species is goldfish.  What we need to be able to do is take these goldfish (which are all adult, spawning size) and get them to spawn indoors, in aquariums, and know approximately when they will be spawning.  Experiments on eggs will have to take place almost immediately after spawning, so pinpointing spawning time is critical.
      > I've never spawned goldfish in an aquarium, nor have I ever tried to pinpoint a spawning event.  Anybody with any experience in this with some information on spawning, a brief synopsis of what you did would be fantastic.  From temperature of water, water parameters, time of spawning, location of spawning (rocks? plants? etc), conditioning (foods, water change regimen, etc), anything you've got would be great.
      > Thanks!
      > -Gary

    • Gary Hoover
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 5, 2010
        Thanks all for the suggestions so far, and please keep them coming.
        I know hormones are an option, and we've discussed it a bit.  I expect if we need to get multiple spawns out of them, it will be necessary to use hormones.
        I'll have to look up the artificial spawning.  I know how it works with yellow perch and tilapia, I assume that it's fairly similar with goldfish.  Probably one of the best options for pinpointing the time of spawning.
        If we got with those methods for getting the spawn, what kinds of conditioning/foods would you all recommend?  Other than temperature increase (I think we have an available chiller, I will look into that as well), are there ideal water parameters?
        Thanks!
        -Gary

        I've had goldfish spawn indoors but the timing has always been somewhat of a surprise.  You can see the breeding tubercles on the males and the females full of roe but you never quite know when they are going to go.  I'm guessing that you have chillers available.  I'd suggest giving them a month at 40 degrees or so and then warming them up.  That should trigger spawning.  Or, you can always use hormone injections.  I suspect that there is probably some info out there on indoor spawning that you'll be able to find, too.
        Good luck,
        Mark

        --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, Gary Hoover <gmh52389@...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        > I have recently been assigned to help with a master's program here at Purdue that's dealing with fish eggs (and various methods of controlling them), and one of our model species is goldfish.  What we need to be able to do is take these goldfish (which are all adult, spawning size) and get them to spawn indoors, in aquariums, and know approximately when they will be spawning.  Experiments on eggs will have to take place almost immediately after spawning, so pinpointing spawning time is critical.
        > I've never spawned goldfish in an aquarium, nor have I ever tried to pinpoint a spawning event.  Anybody with any experience in this with some information on spawning, a brief synopsis of what you did would be fantastic.  From temperature of water, water parameters, time of spawning, location of spawning (rocks? plants? etc), conditioning (foods, water change regimen, etc), anything you've got would be great.
        > Thanks!
        > -Gary

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            anubiasdesign-digest@yahoogroups.com
            anubiasdesign-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • T. Barber

          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 5, 2010
            Zebrafish are another one of our model species.  And those are a bit easier to spawn, in fact, our lab already has a setup for it from a previous study.  Also using fathead minnows, which people in our lab have spawned many, many times.

          • windwalkerone@sbcglobal.net
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 6, 2010
              There is a goldfish farm south of Indianapolis on Rt 37 before Martinsville.
              Going south its on the east side just after the United Methodist Church...they have a huge white cross near the road. Im sure you could get some help there. Ill try and find a name
              Mike

              Sent via DROID on Verizon Wireless

              I've had goldfish spawn indoors but the timing has always been somewhat of a surprise.  You can see the breeding tubercles on the males and the females full of roe but you never quite know when they are going to go.  I'm guessing that you have chillers available.  I'd suggest giving them a month at 40 degrees or so and then warming them up.  That should trigger spawning.  Or, you can always use hormone injections.  I suspect that there is probably some info out there on indoor spawning that you'll be able to find, too.
              Good luck,
              Mark

              --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, Gary Hoover <gmh52389@...> wrote:

              > Hi a! ll,
              > I have recently been assigned to help with a master's program here at Purdue that's dealing with fish eggs (and various methods of controlling them), and one of our model species is goldfish.  What we need to be able to do is take these goldfish (which are all adult, spawning size) and get them to spawn indoors, in aquariums, and know approximately when they will be spawning.  Experiments on eggs will have to take place almost immediately after spawning, so pinpointing spawning time is critical.
              > I've never spawned goldfish in an aquarium, nor have I ever tried to pinpoint a spawning event.  Anybody with any experience in this with some information on spawning, a brief synopsis of what you did would be fantastic.  From temperature of water, water parameters, time of spawning, location of spawning (rocks? plants? etc), conditioning (foods, water change regimen, etc), anything you've got would be great.
              > Thanks!
              > -Gary

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                  (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
                  anubiasdesign-digest@yahoogroups.com
                  anubiasdesign-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • Bill Flowers
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 6, 2010
                The name of the farm is Ozark Fisheries Inc.

                2195 State Road 37 N
                Martinsville, IN  46151