Re: [anubiasdesign] feeding daphnia

  • Lainey Alexander
    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 3, 2010
      Yes, that is what I have been told to use. But be forewarned, odors can emerge:)

      On Sep 3, 2010, at 9:04 PM, Redragon40@... wrote:

      OK,  Thanks, I'll pick up some bakers yeast tomorrow.  Is that the same as the little packets of yeast that you can get in the grocery stor?  It's granulated into tiny lumpy chunks.

      Carol

      In a message dated 9/3/2010 6:52:50 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, lainealex@... writes:

      Hi Carol -

      I am doing this right now, feeding spirulina to daphnia moina. I am finding that sometimes the cultures run along very nicely and other times, they simply crash and everything dies. I'd like to know what I might be doing right and also wrong. I just use a sprinkle of spirulina each day on the water surface and then a pinch of baker's yeast about once per week. Why would this work great sometimes and completely crash at other times? It's not the heat as I protect the cultures from heat.

    • Redragon40@aol.com
      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 3, 2010
        The daphnia I have is pulex, or so I am told.  I just sprinkled in some of the spirulina powder.  I would guess that if you're careful about quantity, the  odor shouldn't be too much of a problem.  I'm going to get some apple snails and put them in the tank as a clean up crew for deceased daphnia and excess food.
        Carol   < ' )))><

        In a message dated 9/3/2010 9:20:00 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, lainealex@... writes:

        Yes, that is what I have been told to use. But be forewarned, odors can emerge:)

        Lainey
      • Joey Nichols
        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 3, 2010
          I've also had better luck with daphina with some java moss in the container. Than with out.

          Joe

          Sent via Me

          From: Redragon40@...
          Sender: anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2010 21:24:56 EDT
          To: <anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com>
          ReplyTo: anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: Re: [anubiasdesign] feeding daphnia

          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 4, 2010
            Thanks.  I'll chuck some in as soon as I finish catching up on my e-mail.
            Carol   < ' )))><

            In a message dated 9/3/2010 9:40:23 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, joesbirds@... writes:
            I've also had better luck with daphina with some java moss in the container. Than with out.

            Joe
          • Will Fraser
            Message 5 of 24 , Sep 4, 2010

              I have had two daphnia cultures going for about 2 years.  One in a 20 gallon and one in a 10.  I feed them primarily powdered spirulina.  I just sprinkle it on the surface daily.  You want the water to be a bit cloudy once its mixed in.  If the water is clear the daphnia are hungry.  I use a slow bubbling sponge filter in both.  Never use new or even somewhat new water in your daphnia cultures.  They will die.  Use well aged, but clean water from an established tank.  I typically siphon water directly from one of my lightly stocked tanks into the culture to do water changes.  I only do water changes once the daphnia seem to be slowing down.  At times you’ll notice that a new form of daphnia will appear.  They appear armored and tend to flit around the bottom rather than hover in the water.  These seem to be a response to stress.  I’ll usually do a water change when I see them.  About once a year I siphon all the dead daphnia and mulm from the bottom of the tank.  I hate losing so many live ones, but I haven’t found a better way.  The cultures really go strong when fed well.  I can harvest about 1.5tsp from each daily.  I keep a light on them 24 hours a day.  I keep the tanks heated to a minimum of 76 or so, and that seems to help with production.  The only other thing I have ever fed them is waste water from soilless whiteworm and grindal worm cultures.  The mistakes I’m most likely to make with mine are underfeeding and not harvesting frequently enough.  Both seem to cause the culture to slow way down.  Good luck.

              Will Fraser

              Hospital Administrator

              Eagle's Landing Veterinary Hospital

              770-954-1414

              Eagle's Landing Sm

            • Redragon40@aol.com

                Message 7 of 24 , Sep 4, 2010
                  I am using non-chlorinated well water too and finding that I can't start a new culture with it. I'm using it because someone also told me not to use tank water. Also, I have heard that if the pH goes below 6? or 7? they all die, and my tanks are at 6. I am mixing tank water into my well water and still having die off with the daphnia. I sure could use a solution if anyone has one.

                  On Sep 4, 2010, at 5:36 PM, Redragon40@... wrote:

[...]

                  <image003.jpg>

                  <image003.jpg>

                • Lainey Alexander
                  Message 8 of 24 , Sep 4, 2010
                    Spirulina six days a week, yeast one day.

                    On Sep 4, 2010, at 6:46 PM, harry perry wrote:

                    What are you feeding the daphnia?.

                    Harry

                    Message 9 of 24 , Sep 4, 2010

                      Message 10 of 24 , Sep 4, 2010
                        I can't grow green water for my life, I've tried and tried. I've even purchased it and it just crashes after I add my tank water - not sure what that's all about so I'm sticking with spirulina and yeast:)

                        On Sep 4, 2010, at 6:59 PM, harry perry wrote:

                        Wouldn't they do better in actual "green water"?.

                        Harry

                        Message 11 of 24 , Sep 4, 2010

                          Message 12 of 24 , Sep 4, 2010
                            Everything I could find suggests the following:

                            These little water fleas, as they are sometimes called, love to propagate, and are most enticed to do so in alkaline water (above pH 7.0) that is between 65 and 75 degrees Fahrenheit, with medium light intensity. Incredibly, they are quite content in a relatively small volume of water as long as there is enough food and oxygen to support them. I have successfully kept more than a thousand of them in a gallon of water for several weeks before it was necessary to reduce their population.

                            Harry

                            Message 13 of 24 , Sep 4, 2010
                              Did you have snails in your greenwater cultures?

                              Joe

                              Sent via Me

                              From: Lainey Alexander <lainealex@...>
                              Sender: anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com
                              Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2010 18:59:03 -0400
                              To: <anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com>
                              ReplyTo: anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com
                              Subject: Re: [anubiasdesign] Re: feeding daphnia/Lainey/again

                              Message 14 of 24 , Sep 4, 2010
                                no

                                Message 15 of 24 , Sep 4, 2010
                                  There was an article awhile back on culturing moina. And I believe daphina In tfh can't remeber the issue though. That talked about having snails in the containers for greenwater production. And I think it was on this list awhile back maybe a year or so back somebody mentioned the importance of having java moss and snails in the culturing containers of daphina.

                                  Joe

                                  Sent via Me

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Sep 4, 2010

                                    I keep mine in a 50 gal tub outside. I add a couple handfuls of horse manure each spring and they flourish after each winters die-out.

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Sep 4, 2010
                                      Now see, I  hear this kind of thing, and it does tend to discourage me. Mine are indoors, completely pampered, vitalites, airstones, special diet etc etc. and dying by the handful!

                                      Oh well, I am going to try culturing in bottled spring water and see if that does any better for me - too bad about the pricetag.

[...]

                                      <image001.jpg>

                                    • Will Fraser
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Sep 5, 2010

                                        I forgot to mention it earlier.  I have a handful of crushed coral on the bottom.  This helps to buffer it, and keep the pH high.

                                        Will Fraser

                                        Hospital Administrator

                                        Eagle's Landing Veterinary Hospital

                                        770-954-1414

                                        Eagle's Landing Sm

                                      • Graham Beek (iFACTS)
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Sep 6, 2010
                                          I don't know if links are allowed here, so I won't give one, but if you search for "hello to daphnia" there's an interesting article about how to culture them.

                                          Cheers,
                                          Graham

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Sep 6, 2010

                                            Graham,

                                            Excellent series of posts. Thanks for the lead. It gives me the confidence to try it myself.

                                            A Servant of the Christ,

                                            Dick Houston

                                            houston@...

                                            Message 21 of 24 , Sep 8, 2010
                                              Any advantage (or dissadvantages) of using Aquaiums vs plastic vats?