Re: oddball fish

  • aaronwojnicki
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 2, 2010
      I've looked at halfbeaks, peppermint crocodile fish, leopard ctenopoma, leaf fish. I would like for the fish to be a predator. I'm not sure if that will help, but whatever.

      Aaron

      --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, "Anubias Design" <anubiasdesign@...> wrote:

      > Aaron,
      > Which ones have caught your eye so far? Knowing that might help to figure a direction in which to recommend for you.
      > Mark
      >
      > --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, "aaronwojnicki" <aaronwojnicki@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hello,
      > >
      > > I am looking into getting some oddball fish. Something that would be an eye catcher. I've found a few fish but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas. I've only got a 29g tank so smaller fish would be a must. Any ideas are welcome.
      > >
      > > Thanks,Aaron

    • Shaun Johnson
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 2, 2010
        Purple Spotted Gudgeon? I have oine in a separate tanks. he's cool. VERY pretty

        On Aug 2, 2010, at 5:34 AM, aaronwojnicki wrote:

        I've looked at halfbeaks, peppermint crocodile fish, leopard ctenopoma, leaf fish. I would like for the fish to be a predator. I'm not sure if that will help, but whatever.

        Aaron

        --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, "Anubias Design" <anubiasdesign@...> wrote:

        > Aaron,
        > Which ones have caught your eye so far? Knowing that might help to figure a direction in which to recommend for you.
        > Mark
        >
        > --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, "aaronwojnicki" <aaronwojnicki@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hello,
        > >
        > > I am looking into getting some oddball fish. Something that would be an eye catcher. I've found a few fish but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas. I've only got a 29g tank so smaller fish would be a must. Any ideas are welcome.
        > >
        > > Thanks,Aaron

      • galaxie_pete
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 2, 2010
          How about dwarf pike (Crenicichla) cichlids? They are uncommon and unique. They are pretty sharp too. The Orange are the brightest colored, most active and most co-habitable with each other. I like compressiceps, notophthalmus and regani as well. There are several others. They seem to have lost favor in at least my part of the country.

          There is also Belonesox belizanus - Livebearing Pike. Vicious buggers.

          Rocket Gar (Ctenolucius hujeta) might get a little big. 8-10"

          Dwarf sunfish? Not many people keep them... US Native. I am pretty sure some species top out at 4" or less. I forget which are the small ones.

          I can't think of any other small oddball predators at the moment.

          --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, Shaun Johnson <shaun.johnson2007@...> wrote:

          > Purple Spotted Gudgeon? I have oine in a separate tanks. he's cool. VERY pretty
          >

          > On Aug 2, 2010, at 5:34 AM, aaronwojnicki wrote:
          >
          > > I've looked at halfbeaks, peppermint crocodile fish, leopard ctenopoma, leaf fish. I would like for the fish to be a predator. I'm not sure if that will help, but whatever.
          > >
          > > Aaron
          > >
          > > --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, "Anubias Design" <anubiasdesign@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Aaron,
          > > > Which ones have caught your eye so far? Knowing that might help to figure a direction in which to recommend for you.
          > > > Mark

        • aaronwojnicki
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 5, 2010
            I decided to get a African knife fish. Thanks for the help, and does anyone know what would go well with a knife fish? The knife fish is around 5 or 6 inches. Thanks

            Aaron

            --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, "galaxie_pete" <galaxie_pete@...> wrote:

            > How about dwarf pike (Crenicichla) cichlids? They are uncommon and unique. They are pretty sharp too. The Orange are the brightest colored, most active and most co-habitable with each other. I like compressiceps, notophthalmus and regani as well. There are several others. They seem to have lost favor in at least my part of the country.
            >
            > There is also Belonesox belizanus - Livebearing Pike. Vicious buggers.
            >
            > Rocket Gar (Ctenolucius hujeta) might get a little big. 8-10"
            >
            > Dwarf sunfish? Not many people keep them... US Native. I am pretty sure some species top out at 4" or less. I forget which are the small ones.
            >
            > I can't think of any other small oddball predators at the moment.
            >
            > --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, Shaun Johnson <shaun.johnson2007@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Purple Spotted Gudgeon? I have oine in a separate tanks. he's cool. VERY pretty
            > >

            > > On Aug 2, 2010, at 5:34 AM, aaronwojnicki wrote:
            > >
            > > > I've looked at halfbeaks, peppermint crocodile fish, leopard ctenopoma, leaf fish. I would like for the fish to be a predator. I'm not sure if that will help, but whatever.
            > > >
            > > > Aaron

          • Shaun Johnson
            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 5, 2010
              (Finally something I know about!) Very good choice. this fish is like a feather and seems to lead more with it's tail than it's head. Really interesting to watch. I have one of these and he/she has grown from 1 inch to about 7 inches in my care. A lot of people say it eats smaller fish, but mine, honestly doesn't harm my 1" killifish. But to be on the safe side, I wouldn't get anything smaller than 2.5 inches. Maybe because it's well fed (2 times a day).

              Anyhow I have Discus, Roseline Sharks, Apisto (dwarf cichlids), and Killis. Also have a tire track eel and it's complete harmony.

              BTW mine only eats frozen bloodworms and floating cichlid pellets. It even eats form my hands sometimes...

              On Aug 5, 2010, at 2:54 PM, aaronwojnicki wrote:

              I decided to get a African knife fish. Thanks for the help, and does anyone know what would go well with a knife fish? The knife fish is around 5 or 6 inches. Thanks

              Aaron

              --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, "galaxie_pete" <galaxie_pete@...> wrote:

              > How about dwarf pike (Crenicichla) cichlids? They are uncommon and unique. They are pretty sharp too. The Orange are the brightest colored, most active and most co-habitable with each other. I like compressiceps, notophthalmus and regani as well. There are several others. They seem to have lost favor in at least my part of the country.
              >
              > There is also Belonesox belizanus - Livebearing Pike. Vicious buggers.
              >
              > Rocket Gar (Ctenolucius hujeta) might get a little big. 8-10"
              >
              > Dwarf sunfish? Not many people keep them... US Native. I am pretty sure some species top out at 4" or less. I forget which are the small ones.
              >
              > I can't think of any other small oddball predators at the moment.
              >
              > --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, Shaun Johnson <shaun.johnson2007@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Purple Spotted Gudgeon? I have oine in a separate tanks. he's cool. VERY pretty
              > >

              > > On Aug 2, 2010, at 5:34 AM, aaronwojnicki wrote:
              > >
              > > > I've looked at halfbeaks, peppermint crocodile fish, leopard ctenopoma, leaf fish. I would like for the fish to be a predator. I'm not sure if that will help, but whatever.
              > > >
              > > > Aaron

            • galaxie_pete
              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 5, 2010
                Nice fish. Forgot about knife fish. You are sure that it is an African Knife right? You don't often see them. They are a schooling fish, so you could get a couple more...

                Some Medium size Tetras might work out nice or other Mid to top dwellers. Make sure give it at least one cave. Ossa's knives are pretty cool and about the same size.

                Sort of wondering out loud here - would one or two of the small puffers work? They are another oddball. Can be nippers though... Tetraodon schoutedeni or Colomesus asellus would probably be ok. Be careful with what type of puffer if you do go that route.

                --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, "aaronwojnicki" <aaronwojnicki@...> wrote:

                > I decided to get a African knife fish. Thanks for the help, and does anyone know what would go well with a knife fish? The knife fish is around 5 or 6 inches. Thanks
                >
                > Aaron
                >
                > --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, "galaxie_pete" <galaxie_pete@> wrote:
                > >
                > > How about dwarf pike (Crenicichla) cichlids? They are uncommon and unique. They are pretty sharp too. The Orange are the brightest colored, most active and most co-habitable with each other. I like compressiceps, notophthalmus and regani as well. There are several others. They seem to have lost favor in at least my part of the country.
                > >
                > > There is also Belonesox belizanus - Livebearing Pike. Vicious buggers.
                > >
                > > Rocket Gar (Ctenolucius hujeta) might get a little big. 8-10"
                > >
                > > Dwarf sunfish? Not many people keep them... US Native. I am pretty sure some species top out at 4" or less. I forget which are the small ones.
                > >
                > > I can't think of any other small oddball predators at the moment.
                > >
                > > --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, Shaun Johnson <shaun.johnson2007@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Purple Spotted Gudgeon? I have oine in a separate tanks. he's cool. VERY pretty

              • Shaun Johnson
                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 5, 2010
                  BTW I may have been mistaken... the fish I was talking about that I have is an African black ghost knife fish (as opposed to an African knife fish). Are you getting a regular African knife fish or an African black ghost knife?

                  Message 8 of 18 , Aug 6, 2010
                    I wouldn't put puffers in with knives.  Because the knives aren't real active during the daytime, I'd be afraid the puffers would nip them.

                    http://anubiasdesign.com/

                    Message 9 of 18 , Aug 6, 2010
                      Big difference between those two.  The African knives are much more actively predatory.  BTW, the black ghost is a South American fish.

                      http://anubiasdesign.com/

                      Message 10 of 18 , Aug 6, 2010
                        "Black Ghost Knife" fish as they are commonly called are South American. They used to call "African Knife" fish "African Black Knife" fish. A lot of people probably still do. They are not "black" though but grey. Black Ghosts get a lot bigger too - 18"+. Those and "Clown Knife" fish are large species. Clowns get huge. I think there is another big species, but I forget what it is.

                        --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, Shaun Johnson <shaun.johnson2007@...> wrote:

                        > BTW I may have been mistaken... the fish I was talking about that I have is an African black ghost knife fish (as opposed to an African knife fish). Are you getting a regular African knife fish or an African black ghost knife?
                        >

                        > On Aug 5, 2010, at 9:12 PM, galaxie_pete wrote:
                        >
                        > > Nice fish. Forgot about knife fish. You are sure that it is an African Knife right? You don't often see them. They are a schooling fish, so you could get a couple more...
                        > >
                        > > Some Medium size Tetras might work out nice or other Mid to top dwellers. Make sure give it at least one cave. Ossa's knives are pretty cool and about the same size.
                        > >
                        > > Sort of wondering out loud here - would one or two of the small puffers work? They are another oddball. Can be nippers though... Tetraodon schoutedeni or Colomesus asellus would probably be ok. Be careful with what type of puffer if you do go that route.
                        > >
                        > > --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, "aaronwojnicki" <aaronwojnicki@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > I decided to get a African knife fish. Thanks for the help, and does anyone know what would go well with a knife fish? The knife fish is around 5 or 6 inches. Thanks
                        > > >
                        > > > Aaron

                      • Gerald
                        Message 11 of 18 , Aug 6, 2010
                          African and Asian knifefishes (Notopteridae) have large eyes, upward-tilted mouth, and rather flat body, similar to their cousins the arowanas and mooneye. Clown knife is Asian.

                          The South American knifefishes (Gymnotidae) including black ghost, brown ghost, green/glass knife, and electric eel have small eyes, more horizontal mouth, and not-so flat body.

                          --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, "galaxie_pete" <galaxie_pete@...> wrote:

                          > "Black Ghost Knife" fish as they are commonly called are South American. They used to call "African Knife" fish "African Black Knife" fish. A lot of people probably still do. They are not "black" though but grey. Black Ghosts get a lot bigger too - 18"+. Those and "Clown Knife" fish are large species. Clowns get huge. I think there is another big species, but I forget what it is.

                        • donna joanna
                          Message 12 of 18 , Aug 6, 2010
                                  I've read in old fish books about a MouseTail Knife Fish - stays small -

                                    Can anyone verify this?

                                   Donna/ Kansas

                            Message 13 of 18 , Aug 6, 2010
                              That's a 6" fish.  They were available from Peru this time.

                              http://anubiasdesign.com/

                              Message 14 of 18 , Aug 6, 2010
                                Was this the Gymnotus  coropinae (dwarf) (selling at 6-8 cm) that
                                only gets up to 6 inches?
                                Thanks for the info

                                Message 15 of 18 , Aug 6, 2010
                                  The mouse tail knife is Gymnorhamphichthys rondoni.  Those were on the list from Peru.  The G. coropinae were available from Germany.

                                  http://anubiasdesign.com/

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Aug 8, 2010
                                    Yes, I am pretty sure he is an African Knife fish. He has big eyes and I did see them schooling at the store I got them from but didn't think much of it at the time. Sorry for answering so late. Right know I have 3 Red Zebras and two small Texas cichlids. The Zebras took over the knife's cave. I put a ghost tube in for him but he didn't like it. I'm going to get some pvc pipe in there. Does anyone know any good looking tetras that would go good in the tank. It's a 29g. Thanks Aaron