Re: [anubiasdesign] Pencilfish

  • JoAnn Davis
    Message 1 of 39 , Feb 2, 2010
      These are my first pencil fish, how many different colors are there? I believe i know where you can get pencil fish, mine are very nice. jo ann

      Message 39 of 39 , Feb 3, 2010

        Hi Carol,

        The history of these two species has been muddled but they are not color variants. They are in fact two species. N. mortenthaleri, aka  the Coral Red Pencilfish (when first imported some importers labelled it the 'Red Arc' pencilfish) was first described as a  N. marginatus mortenthaleri, a subspecies,  by Paepke and Arendt. Shortly after that Stan Weitzman 'elevated' it to an actual species based on his analysis and that designation, N. mortenthaleri, remains. When the fish we now know as N. rubrocaudatus, aka the Purple Pencilfish, was first discovered it was labelled 'Coral Red type 2'. Last year Zarske's description was published in which he named the fish N. rubrocaudatus. This species became the 17th Nannostomus species to be decribed since Gunther erected the genus in 1872 with N. beckfordi as the type species.

        Bruce