Re: Non Native Wildlife Invasion...

  • Dan McMonigle
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 3, 2009
      --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald" <gbpottern@...> wrote:

      > Hi Dan - I understand that most of Ohio's plants and animals had to
      > recolonize after the glaciers, but what is your point about native vs
      > exotic species and the pet trade? Are you saying that every species
      > is or was an invasive exotic at some time, and therefore we shouldn't
      > make any effort to prevent or manage exotics?
      >
      > Also, thanks for educating me on how protectionist talk by our
      > government has sparked the world-wide recession. I was under the
      > apparently misguided impression that it had to do with crooked
      > investment banking, short-sighted business decisions, real estate
      > magic tricks, blind faith in the consumer-spending bubble, and greed-
      > induced stupidity on the part of Joe Public.
      >
      > Gerald

      Hi Gerald,

      I didn't know about the rule I had make a point about native v. exotice
      species and the pet trade. You have a great imagination. I would never
      have been able to think up either of those interesting but improbable
      concepts you somehow read into my attempt to inject a different
      somewhat philosophical, somewhat lighthearted perspective.

      And glad I could help educate you about economics. They say the poor
      are always with us. And also always with us are the crooked
      investment bankers, short-sighted business deciders, real estate magic
      tricksters, blind faith in the consumer-spending bubblers, and greed-
      induced stupidity on the part of Joe Public-ers. There is always some
      or a lot of that going on, good times and bad. We overlook it in good
      times and look around for scapegoats when times are bad. What is
      consistent though is the effect of protectionism on the economy. The
      Great Depression was finally pinned on the protectionist escalations
      that immediately preceeded it. This world recession will be too, once
      we are far enough away not to be politically invested in finding
      someone we dislike to blame for it.

      And please excuse my fear of Democrats. My great grandfather was an
      abolitionist back before a Republican president abolished slavery. He
      was captured and put in a Democrat-run death camp with other
      abolitionists and with Republicans. It was as horrible as any Nazi
      death camp in WW II, and worse in its concept. Democratic party bigwigs
      designed it to starve and sicken to death all of its prisoners.
      Latrines were placed where the only drinking water entered the
      compound. It had guard dogs, which you would expect, but they were not
      there, as you would expect, to prevent the prisoners from escaping.
      They were there to protect the rats from being eaten by the prisoners.
      My great grandfather used to tell the story how he and his friends
      killed and ate a guard dog and then ate the rats. I hope it's just an
      irrational fear, but I don't expect a Democrat with power today to be
      any better than the Democrats of a century and a half ago when they
      felt their one-party system slipping away.
    • Larry Tagrin
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 3, 2009
        I think this thread has now degenerated into ranting and should be ended.

        <*> Your email settings:
           Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
           (Yahoo! ID required)