Re: "'L129' - not sure what species these really are "

  • Kenny Tapp
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 3, 2008
      I found the pic. Could it be L-207?

      --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, "Kenny Tapp" <KTapp@...> wrote:

      > Could you post a picture of these guys? Please let me know what
      folder
      > the picture is posted under.
      > Thanks!

    • Wendie
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 3, 2008
        The L129's seem to come in with various markings but settle down in a few weeks.
        Wendie

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 3, 2008
          Larry suggested this fish is L127 and Kenny suggests L207. According
          to Planet Catfish, those are one and the same. After looking at PC,
          I agree with their assessment and do believe these are L127/207. The
          fish originates in the Orinoco and many fish from this area are
          exported from Colombia so that makes sense.

          Larry also suggested that the 'L122' are similar to L17 and I believe
          that is correct. I don't think that they are L17, though, as the
          likely collection location is wrong. These were shipped out of
          Manaus, near the confluence of the Rio Negro and the Amazon, while
          L17 is from the Rio Xingu, making it much more likely to be exported
          from Belem.
          Mark

          --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, "Kenny Tapp" <KTapp@...> wrote:

          > I found the pic. Could it be L-207?

        • Larry Vires
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 3, 2008
            Mark,

            I just now looked at all 4 known species of Hopliancistrus on several sites.  All are from southern tributaries which decreases the odds.  Only L17 and H. tricornis have any resemblance.  Perhaps it would be best to label them Hopliancistrus sp. aff. L17 "Manaus".  A bit long, but as accurate as we can get with the information available.

            Larry

          • juliechristie@netscape.net
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 3, 2008
              This brings up a very interesting point.  Identifying fish is not an exact science when importing or relegating the fish to the proper L-number in the case of plecos.  I've had to deal with this any number of times, and what I do in the main is to sell the fish as named by the exporter.  In cases where it is clearly NOT the fish they claimed, I often do what Mark just did, get the best guess any experts at hand... very often Planet Catfish.  I then will advertize the fish as that opinion, but with all the accompanying info much as Larry suggests here.  Especially in the case of plecos, selling fish with an accompanying picture where there is any doubt of the correctness of the name/L-number is important.

              Julie

              I just now looked at all 4 known species of Hopliancistrus on several sites.  All are from southern tributaries which decreases the odds.  Only L17 and H. tricornis have any resemblance.  Perhaps it would be best to label them Hopliancistrus sp. aff. L17 "Manaus".  A bit long, but as accurate as we can get with the information available.

              Larry

              Larry suggested this fish is L127 and Kenny suggests L207. According
              to Planet Catfish, those are one and the same. After looking at PC,
              I agree with their assessment and do believe these are L127/207. The
              fish originates in the Orinoco and many fish from this area are
              exported from Colombia so that makes sense.

              Larry also suggested that the 'L122' are similar to L17 and I believe
              that is correct. I don't think that they are L17, though, as the
              likely collection location is wrong. These were shipped out of
              Manaus, near the confluence of the Rio Negro and the Amazon, while
              L17 is from the Rio Xingu, making it much more likely to be exported
              from Belem.
              Mark

              --- In anubiasdesign@ yahoogroups. com, "Kenny Tapp" <KTapp@...> wrote:

              > I found the pic. Could it be L-207?