Need help identifying a contaminant I bought

  • InTheNyte@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2008
      On a recent trip to my LFS, I was ecstatic when I saw a guy with several styrofoam containers on his way back to the fish department.  I went back and asked the manager if she had anything good in there and she informed me that she was just restocking what they were short on after her week of vacation.  As they started pulling bags out, there was a bag of ghost shrimp, with several contaminant fish that they evidently always slip in the bag.  Several of them were rather small, but there was one that was about 3 - 3.5".  He was washed out, but within 10 seconds of being put in new water he was already coloring up and getting some bars.  I posted a pic of him to the group, but I am not really sure what he is at all.  As it shows in the quality of the pic, he does not stay still much at all.  He has a little bit of a dusty red and pale yellow in the caudal and anal fins with some amazing speckling that doesn't really show up in the pic.  Any help that anyone can give me on this would be much appreciated.  I know I have seen several times where people say that you can find some amazing finds in contaminants, and I'm just hoping for a decent find.  Thanks!

      Kevin

    • joesbirds@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2008
        at least to me it looks like a type of peacock.
        joey

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 4, 2008
            To me it looks like a Blue Tilapia (Oreochromis aureus) like this
            one: http://nis.gsmfc.org/nis_factsheet.php?toc_id=194
            If so, they're yummy. Gerald

            --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, joesbirds@... wrote:

            > at least to me it looks like a type of peacock.
            > joey
            >

            > In a message dated 11/1/2008 5:56:29 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
            > InTheNyte@... writes:
            >

            > On a recent trip to my LFS, I was ecstatic when I saw a guy with
            several
            > styrofoam containers on his way back to the fish department. I
            went back and
            > asked the manager if she had anything good in there and she
            informed me that
            > she was just restocking what they were short on after her week of
            vacation. As
            > they started pulling bags out, there was a bag of ghost shrimp,
            with several
            > contaminant fish that they evidently always slip in the bag.
            Several of
            > them were rather small, but there was one that was about 3 -
            3.5". He was
            > washed out, but within 10 seconds of being put in new water he
            was already
            > coloring up and getting some bars. I posted a pic of him to the
            group, but I am not
            > really sure what he is at all. As it shows in the quality of the
            pic, he
            > does not stay still much at all. He has a little bit of a dusty
            red and pale
            > yellow in the caudal and anal fins with some amazing speckling
            that doesn't
            > really show up in the pic. Any help that anyone can give me on
            this would be
            > much appreciated. I know I have seen several times where people
            say that you
            > can find some amazing finds in contaminants, and I'm just hoping
            for a decent
            > find. Thanks!
            >
            > Kevin

            > Plan your next getaway with AOL Travel. _Check out Today's Hot 5
            Travel
            > Deals!_
            > (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1212416248x1200771803/aol?
            redir=http://travel.aol.com/discount-travel?