Re: [anubiasdesign] Re: Angels spawning

  • Larry Tagrin
    Message 1 of 42 , Sep 7, 2008
      George,

      Before making such sweeping gereralizations, you should remember that animals, whether humans or fish, are individuals.  Some angels will spawn anywhre while some will require a surface that suits their own preference.  The degree of care that cichlids give their eggs may also be dependent on individual comfort levels with the placement and security of the eggs.

      To paraphrase the Harvard Law of Animal Behavior:

      "Given a statistically valid population of genetically homogeneous organismsm the behavior of each individual will be whatever it darn well pleases."

      On Sat, Sep 6, 2008 at 11:25 PM, Judith Downing <beary@...> wrote:

      As George said, " When the angels want to spawn they will do it on the glass or heater tube or anything. The main reason to use a slate would be to remove it for artfical hatching. It is easier to do that with a slate rather than a plant leaf but anything will work."

      I have a 50 g tank with one Angelfish, some Swordtails & Cories in it. I now know the Angel is female because she laid eggs on the side of the tank. The only other Angel in the house is two rooms away. I guess she really wanted to lay eggs. Now she is guarding them. The last time this happened I still had two Angels in the tank & didn't know which one was responsible. Now I know that the bully (the reason she is alone now) is a female. The last two times the eggs were laid on an in tank filter.

      Judy

    • Sarah Smith
      Message 42 of 42 , Sep 12, 2008
        I'll have to check it. I've been treating the tank for blue green algae which is why I totally didn't expect any eggs let alone fry. out of the tap our water is... (got to get my notes)
        pH:  Out of the tap - 6.8 to 7.0.  After sitting overnite - 7.2 to 7.4.
        gH:  3.
        kH:  3.
        Nitrate:  0
        Phosphate:  0.5
        Ammonia:  0
        So that's out of the tap, not sure what it is right now. need to do a wc, but not ready as I don't want to suck up any babies yet.
        Sarah