Re: Ian Fuller, club meetings and open house

  • alex_priest
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 3, 2008
      Anyone considering attending the GCAS (Greater City Aquarium Society -
      Queens, NY) meeting this Wednesday to hear Ian Fuller's talk on
      Corydoras, should click on:
      =>Click here for instructions on how to enter the meeting building
      on the main page of the greatercity.org website.
      Brief summary, the main gate to the Botanical Garden (on Main Street)
      will be closed but unlocked--you have to reach down between the bars to
      pull up the bar to let yourself in, then reclose the gate behind you.
    • Larry Tagrin
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 3, 2008
        Unfortunately, PVAS holds its meetings on Monday nights (in a place inaccessible to MetroRail) so those who have to get up early and commute on Tuesday morning are SOL.

      • Adragontattoo(Jeff)
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 3, 2008
          Larry, I commute from Alexandria to Rockville everyday and I dont have a
          problem making meetings.
        • Ani Pahlawanian
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 3, 2008
            I didn't know that there were so many PVAS member here!  Do you guys know Alysoun McLaughling and Andrew Blumhagen?  They are really good friends of mine I believe are in PVAS.  I went to college with them way back when.

            Ani

            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 3, 2008
              Ah, but you live in Alexandria.  I live in Montgomery Village and Commute to downtown DC.  For me to attend a meeting, I would have to commute home (1 hr via metrorail and bus/car from the metro station) and then change and get in my car and commute from Montgomery Country to the meeting in VA (on a Monday, at the height of rush hour) and then commute back home.  That's ridiculous.  I know the meeting day and location will never change because the group of those able to attend the meetings in person have made sure that paying members who cannot attend meetings are also prohibited from voting on officers.  So it's a self-perpetuating little group.  The only reason I keep paying my dues at this point is that the auction penalty for those who are not members is greater than the membership dues.

              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 3, 2008
                [quote: Larry]Ah, but you live in Alexandria. I live in Montgomery
                Village and Commute to downtown DC. For me to attend a meeting, I would
                have to commute home (1 hr via metrorail and bus/car from the metro
                station) and then change and get in my car and commute from Montgomery
                Country to the meeting in VA (on a Monday, at the height of rush hour)
                and then commute back home. That's ridiculous. I know the meeting day
                and location will never change because the group of those able to attend
                the meetings in person have made sure that paying members who cannot
                attend meetings are also prohibited from voting on officers. So it's a
                self-perpetuating little group. The only reason I keep paying my dues
                at this point is that the auction penalty for those who are not members
                is greater than the membership dues.[end quote]

                Huh, nice little conspiracy theory you got going on there.

                Oh btw, I am a board member who is trying to get the location changed to
                something more metro accessible, of course I wasnt elected, I
                volunteered for one of the empty seats.

                I drive from Rockville to the meeting directly and have no issues
                getting there in time, but whatever floats your boat.
              • Doug Forne
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 3, 2008
                  LOL maybe you 2 should get a room...

                  Doug Forne
                  http://www.eriewebdesigner.com/
                  www.one.org
                  www.mcdowellwrestling.org

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 3, 2008
                    If I lived out there I would give you a ride. Guys get together car pool let Larry chip in on the gas.

                  • Redragon40@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 5, 2008
                      Ani:
                      Andrew is one of the first folks we met at PVAS.  A great guy, and the moving force behind the first all catfish convention there.

                      Carol   < ' )))><