Re: [anubiasdesign] Look for B. simplex

    Message 1 of 21 , May 31 8:31 PM
      Jim,
      I should have more in the next couple of weeks, but don't know if it will be the 9th or the 16th that they come in.
      Mark

      James Hall <killiejames@...> wrote:
      I just had the last of my simplex die off on me and I am looking to get
      my colony going again. I have a 30 gallon that is calling for more
      fish and I would like to do a group of them and make it a species tank.
      If anyone has some fry or juvies that they are able to sell please let
      me know. I hope to hear from you soon.

    • Michael Vulis
      Message 2 of 21 , Jun 1, 2008
        I wonder if anyone knows what this thing is:

        http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/5889/bugsa6.jpg

        a little background: the tank this came from had several deaths over the
        last three months, seemingly random species pattern except that it was
        mostly the smallest fish.

        this was noticed on the tank glass, there is more than one. this creature
        is a little larger than 1mm, I've seen a larger one (2mm?) on the back
        wall... Silvery color, oval shape.

        suspicion is that this may be argulus OR a similar smaller parasite...of
        course it also can be a totally innocent creature (I've not seen it
        attached to a fish).

        Would anyone know?

        TIA

        Michael
      • lonlangione@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 1, 2008
          Looks like a hiarball my cat left me the other day.

          Lonny

          From: "Michael Vulis" <mv@...>

          > I wonder if anyone knows what this thing is:
          >
          > http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/5889/bugsa6.jpg
          >
          > a little background: the tank this came from had several deaths over the
          > last three months, seemingly random species pattern except that it was
          > mostly the smallest fish.
          >
          > this was noticed on the tank glass, there is more than one. this creature
          > is a little larger than 1mm, I've seen a larger one (2mm?) on the back
          > wall... Silvery color, oval shape.
          >
          > suspicion is that this may be argulus OR a similar smaller parasite...of
          > course it also can be a totally innocent creature (I've not seen it
          > attached to a fish).
          >
          > Would anyone know?
          >
          > TIA
          >
          > Michael
          >

          > ------------------------------------
          >
          > Please DELETE this line and EVERYTHING below it when replying.
          > ���`�.��.><((((�>.���`�.��.���`�.�><((((�> �.���`�.�. , .���`�..><((((�>
          > PLEASE, when you REPLY to a post, DELETE all TEXT that is NOT important to the
          > reply & if CHANGING the TOPIC of the original message MODIFY the SUBJECT LINE ->
          > i.e. "new subject (was re: old subject)" <-
          > <�((((><.���`�.��.���`�.�<�((((><�.���`�.�. , .���`�..<�((((><���`�.��.
          > We Thank You in Advance for Your HELP in this matter.
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          > <*> Your email settings:
          > Individual Email | Traditional
          >
          > <*> To change settings online go to:
          > (Yahoo! ID required)
          >
          > <*> To change settings via email:
          > mailto:anubiasdesign-digest@yahoogroups.com
          > mailto:anubiasdesign-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Dan McMonigle
          Message 4 of 21 , Jun 1, 2008
            It looks similar to Acrochaetium a macroalgae as in this picture:

            http://www.reefnutrition.com/fuzzyphytes/index.htm

            Because you said they were silvery instead of black or dark red, I
            might have guessed hydra. Hydra could explain the disappearance of
            very small fish, but I suspect they rarely harm anything they can't
            sting and capture. Perhaps you might find some dead or injured fish
            that were just big enough to get away from the tentacles, but since
            Hydra only have 4-8 tentacles per aminmal, they don't match up to
            your photo for that additional reason.

            --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Vulis" <mv@...> wrote:

            > I wonder if anyone knows what this thing is:
            >
            > http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/5889/bugsa6.jpg
            >
            > a little background: the tank this came from had several deaths
            over the
            > last three months, seemingly random species pattern except that it
            was
            > mostly the smallest fish.
            >
            > this was noticed on the tank glass, there is more than one. this
            creature
            > is a little larger than 1mm, I've seen a larger one (2mm?) on the
            back
            > wall... Silvery color, oval shape.
            >
            > suspicion is that this may be argulus OR a similar smaller
            parasite...of
            > course it also can be a totally innocent creature (I've not seen it
            > attached to a fish).
            >
            > Would anyone know?
            >
            > TIA
            >
            > Michael

          • galaxie_pete
            Message 5 of 21 , Jun 1, 2008
              No idea here - but definitely not hydra. Even if they were silvery -
              not the right shape at all.

              I will be interested to see if anyone comes up with an answer though.

              Pete

              --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, "Dan McMonigle" <daphnia@...> wrote:

              > It looks similar to Acrochaetium a macroalgae as in this picture:
              >
              > http://www.reefnutrition.com/fuzzyphytes/index.htm
              >
              > Because you said they were silvery instead of black or dark red, I
              > might have guessed hydra. Hydra could explain the disappearance of
              > very small fish, but I suspect they rarely harm anything they can't
              > sting and capture. Perhaps you might find some dead or injured fish
              > that were just big enough to get away from the tentacles, but since
              > Hydra only have 4-8 tentacles per aminmal, they don't match up to
              > your photo for that additional reason.
              >

              > --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Vulis" <mv@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I wonder if anyone knows what this thing is:
              > >
              > > http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/5889/bugsa6.jpg
              > >
              > > a little background: the tank this came from had several deaths
              > over the
              > > last three months, seemingly random species pattern except that it
              > was
              > > mostly the smallest fish.
              > >
              > > this was noticed on the tank glass, there is more than one. this
              > creature
              > > is a little larger than 1mm, I've seen a larger one (2mm?) on the
              > back
              > > wall... Silvery color, oval shape.
              > >
              > > suspicion is that this may be argulus OR a similar smaller
              > parasite...of
              > > course it also can be a totally innocent creature (I've not seen it
              > > attached to a fish).
              > >
              > > Would anyone know?
              > >
              > > TIA
              > >
              > > Michael

            • Michael Vulis
              Message 6 of 21 , Jun 1, 2008
                Thank you!

                My apologies for a bad photo & thank you for the responses. I damaged the
                thing while capturing it. I cannot offer a better photo until I capture
                another one but I'm pretty sure of the following (from what I saw and
                looking over several bad photos):

                It is oval shaped, similar in appearance to Argulis, but less flat. Much
                smaller (1mm vs 10mm). Almost certainly a Crustacean. It moves on the
                glass. Soft underbelly, hardened top. Legs. Consistent with pictures of
                Branchiura I could find on the web. This link
                http://www.answers.com/topic/branchiura-1
                gives 3 members of the subclass, apparently there are about 175 members,
                all parasitic. From underneath it looks like a small snail...but it has
                legs.

                The fish lost to it so far were almost all 1" or less (otos, boraras,
                small cory, galaxy rasbora,...) .... Could not see any telling marks on
                them, but I was unable to examine most of the bodies.

                The question I really should have asked: are there non-parasitic
                crustaceans similar in appearance/body shape to Argulis that may occur in
                aquaria? (I suspect this fellow...but its ability to walk on the glass is
                strange...Argulis asaik swims, not walks).

                > No idea here - but definitely not hydra. Even if they were silvery -
                > not the right shape at all.
                >
                > I will be interested to see if anyone comes up with an answer though.
                >
                > Pete
                >
                > --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, "Dan McMonigle" <daphnia@...> wrote:
                >>
                >> It looks similar to Acrochaetium a macroalgae as in this picture:
                >>
                >> http://www.reefnutrition.com/fuzzyphytes/index.htm
                >>
                >> Because you said they were silvery instead of black or dark red, I
                >> might have guessed hydra. Hydra could explain the disappearance of
                >> very small fish, but I suspect they rarely harm anything they can't
                >> sting and capture. Perhaps you might find some dead or injured fish
                >> that were just big enough to get away from the tentacles, but since
                >> Hydra only have 4-8 tentacles per aminmal, they don't match up to
                >> your photo for that additional reason.
                >>

                >> --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Vulis" <mv@> wrote:
                >> >
                >> > I wonder if anyone knows what this thing is:
                >> >
                >> > http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/5889/bugsa6.jpg
                >> >
                >> > a little background: the tank this came from had several deaths
                >> over the
                >> > last three months, seemingly random species pattern except that it
                >> was
                >> > mostly the smallest fish.
                >> >
                >> > this was noticed on the tank glass, there is more than one. this
                >> creature
                >> > is a little larger than 1mm, I've seen a larger one (2mm?) on the
                >> back
                >> > wall... Silvery color, oval shape.
                >> >
                >> > suspicion is that this may be argulus OR a similar smaller
                >> parasite...of
                >> > course it also can be a totally innocent creature (I've not seen it
                >> > attached to a fish).
                >> >
                >> > Would anyone know?
                >> >
                >> > TIA
                >> >
                >> > Michael

              • Cosmin Dini
                Message 7 of 21 , Jun 1, 2008
                  Howdy,

                  I had something similar 2-3 years ago. The bugs came with some clown
                  plecos form a local store. I was never able to determine what it was.
                  In such cases, I add Panacur. It cleared up in a day.

                  In my case, they were literally sprinkled on the fish. They were slowly
                  moving on the fish's body, but I was not able to tell in most cases
                  becase the fish were swimming (except for the plecos when they were not
                  hiding). Some of these would come lose in the water and would zip
                  around kinda like cypris do, but would tend to make more circles (as
                  opposed to cypris who swim rather straight).

                  Anyways, my recommendation is Panacur.

                  Cheers,
                  wm_crash, the friendly hooligan
                • Michael Vulis
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jun 2, 2008
                    Thanks! I'd normally use Flubendazole asap without trying to figure the
                    exact problem except that this tank has shrimp....will have to catch it
                    somehow.

                    Message 9 of 21 , Jun 2, 2008
                      To my knowledge, Panacur does not affect shrimp, snails, or daphnia. It
                      does kill planaria and blackworms (with longer exposure). I have a
                      feeling it als wipes out the microfauna, but I have never verified this
                      under a scope.

                      cheers,
                      wm_crash, the friendly hooligan

                      --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Vulis" <mv@...> wrote:

                      > Thanks! I'd normally use Flubendazole asap without trying to figure
                      the
                      > exact problem except that this tank has shrimp....will have to catch
                      it
                      > somehow.
                    • Gerald
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jun 2, 2008
                        Besides the freshwater fish-lice (Branchiura, Argulus) there's also
                        at least one freshwater member of the sea-lice family Caligidae (a
                        copepod): Caligus lacustris. Shape is simialr to Argulus. Dunno if
                        they occur in tropical waters; ive only seen them mentioned re
                        coldwater fish. If they can walk on fish skin, i presume they can
                        walk on other surfaces. Hope you can get a better pic. You're sure
                        it's not a mite? (aquatic mites are not parasitic on fish)

                        http://www.sinica.edu.tw/zool/zoolstud/Journals/43.2/193.pdf

                        Message 11 of 21 , Jun 2, 2008
                          Panacur (Fenbendazole) kills snails, at least the pond variety, exactly
                          the same way as Flubendazole would (I used Panacur at one point and used
                          snails as a testkit that the drug dissolved well.).
                          I don't know first hand what happens with shrimp...I suspect it will be
                          wiped out.

                          > To my knowledge, Panacur does not affect shrimp, snails, or daphnia. It
                          > does kill planaria and blackworms (with longer exposure). I have a
                          > feeling it als wipes out the microfauna, but I have never verified this
                          > under a scope.
                          >
                          > cheers,
                          > wm_crash, the friendly hooligan
                          >
                          > --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Vulis" <mv@...> wrote:
                          >>
                          >> Thanks! I'd normally use Flubendazole asap without trying to figure
                          > the
                          >> exact problem except that this tank has shrimp....will have to catch
                          > it
                          >> somehow.

                        • Michael Vulis
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jun 2, 2008
                            Gerald, thank you very much. I'll try for a better photo (cannot see any
                            today), but mite seems to be it (a better fit shape-wise than argulus).
                            Sounds like a false lead....sorry, I guess I was supposed to know about
                            mites..... :)

                            Interesting article too...

                            Message 13 of 21 , Jun 2, 2008
                              It will indeed wipe your shrimp out - what kind of shrimp?

                              Pete

                              --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Vulis" <mv@...> wrote:

                              > Panacur (Fenbendazole) kills snails, at least the pond variety, exactly
                              > the same way as Flubendazole would (I used Panacur at one point and used
                              > snails as a testkit that the drug dissolved well.).
                              > I don't know first hand what happens with shrimp...I suspect it will be
                              > wiped out.
                              >
                              > > To my knowledge, Panacur does not affect shrimp, snails, or
                              daphnia. It
                              > > does kill planaria and blackworms (with longer exposure). I have a
                              > > feeling it als wipes out the microfauna, but I have never verified
                              this
                              > > under a scope.
                              > >
                              > > cheers,
                              > > wm_crash, the friendly hooligan
                              > >
                              > > --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Vulis" <mv@> wrote:
                              > >>
                              > >> Thanks! I'd normally use Flubendazole asap without trying to figure
                              > > the
                              > >> exact problem except that this tank has shrimp....will have to catch
                              > > it
                              > >> somehow.

                            • Michael Vulis
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jun 2, 2008
                                Crystal Red. Not too hard to replace, I just don't like the idea of
                                killing them unless I must...

                                > It will indeed wipe your shrimp out - what kind of shrimp?
                                >
                                > Pete
                                >
                                > --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Vulis" <mv@...> wrote:
                                >>
                                >> Panacur (Fenbendazole) kills snails, at least the pond variety, exactly
                                >> the same way as Flubendazole would (I used Panacur at one point and used
                                >> snails as a testkit that the drug dissolved well.).
                                >> I don't know first hand what happens with shrimp...I suspect it will be
                                >> wiped out.
                                >>
                                >> > To my knowledge, Panacur does not affect shrimp, snails, or
                                > daphnia. It
                                >> > does kill planaria and blackworms (with longer exposure). I have a
                                >> > feeling it als wipes out the microfauna, but I have never verified
                                > this
                                >> > under a scope.
                                >> >
                                >> > cheers,
                                >> > wm_crash, the friendly hooligan

                                >> > the
                                >> > it

                              • Matt Patrick
                                Message 15 of 21 , Jun 2, 2008
                                  I've used fenbendazole on eight different 10g shrimp tanks and a 29g
                                  shrimp tank to eliminate Planaria and Hydra. Not a single shrimp,
                                  Cyrstal Red, Cherry, Green, Snowball, Yellow, Tiger, Amano, Blue Pearl,
                                  Blue, or New Bee shrimp has died and all are currently breeding as
                                  well. A 0.1 gram dose of fenbendazole was used on the 10g tanks and a
                                  0.2gm dose was used on the 29g tank. This did not wipe out any of the
                                  snail population either and they too are breeding happily today. I
                                  can't comment on the microfauna but since the baby shrimp are growing
                                  and thriving, I would have to say at least some of it did not get wiped
                                  out by the medication.

                                  Michael Vulis wrote:

                                  > Crystal Red. Not too hard to replace, I just don't like the idea of
                                  > killing them unless I must...
                                  >
                                  > > It will indeed wipe your shrimp out - what kind of shrimp?
                                  > >
                                  > > Pete
                                  > >
                                  > > --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com
                                  > <mailto:anubiasdesign%40yahoogroups.com>, "Michael Vulis" <mv@...> wrote:
                                  > >>
                                  > >> Panacur (Fenbendazole) kills snails, at least the pond variety, exactly
                                  > >> the same way as Flubendazole would (I used Panacur at one point and
                                  > used
                                  > >> snails as a testkit that the drug dissolved well.).
                                  > >> I don't know first hand what happens with shrimp...I suspect it will be
                                  > >> wiped out.

                                  > > daphnia. It
                                  > > this

                                • Sherry
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jun 2, 2008

                                    I first looked in old books came up with either fish lice (Argulus - Copepod) (so many choices taxonomy hard to determine, for me at least) (first choice), or Mite (Hydrachna) last choice.  There are a great variety in each category, so hard to pin point from your photo.   Best Sherry

                                    Photo of Argulus.

                                    Argulus, the fish louse, is small, round and flattened.

                                    Great photo of branchiuran Argulus japonicus  :

                                    http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthropoda/crustacea/maxillopoda/branchiura.html

                                    The Branchiura are a parasitic crustacean group of uncertain relationship within the Maxillopoda.  They are thought to be an ancient group but there are no known fossils.

                                    There are approximately 130 species described currently, all of which are ectoparasites (attach to the outside of the host) on fish.

                                    Severe infestations can devastate and aquarium.  They can move very fast which is rather disconcerting when watching a swarm in your aquarium.

                                    They spend their time darting around in the water away from, and also directly on the fish. They lay their eggs in tubular structures on the glass and ornaments.

                                    http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries/art2002/argulus.jpg

                                    Shows lice on fish, under scope and video of it swimming.

                                    http://www.bonniesplants.com/sick_injured_fish/argulus.htm

                                  • John Goossen
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jun 3, 2008
                                      Could it be a foram?
                                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foraminifera

                                      --- In anubiasdesign@yahoogroups.com, "Cosmin Dini" <wm_crash@...>

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jun 3, 2008
                                        Wow. That is an interesting creature.
                                        I could not locate any more today...but it probably was a mite as
                                        suggested before.

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Jun 3, 2008
                                          specifically on snails: the pond kind has been wiped out in a couple of
                                          tanks with essentially your dosage: 2mg/l is about 0.1g/10g, took about 3
                                          days.

                                          It really would be interesting to find out why the outcomes are different.
                                          My guess is that this comes down to how well the drug was dissolved, the
                                          effective dosage could have been different.

                                          With flubendazole (which in my understanding is nearly identical except
                                          for solubility) dosing at half of the recommendation results in snails
                                          surviving. If fenbendazole has not been sufficiently dissolved, the lower
                                          dosage would also lose the activity.

                                          This is only a guess...

                                        • Gerald Griffin
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Jun 3, 2008
                                            I thought forams were microscopic not macroscopic.